Re: Old building plans

Started by Jimmy_Cason, April 28, 2006, 12:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy_Cason

Didn't John have a link to building old boats and houses at one time?

Is this it?

Here is a great trove of older plans for homes, cabins, barns and other structures and projects. These are plans done for the public by the USDA in the 30's, 40's and up until the 1980's.  

http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/abeng/plans/HOUSE.htm

Most of these will need to be updated for a modern project but there are lots of interesting ideas and practical construction wisdom in these plans.

jraabe

Take a look at the Farm Plans - plans from old magazines. This is right here on this site.

Probably the old USDA stuff that Jimmy pointed you to is better, however... if you are thinking real plans (most of which would no longer meet codes of course). If you want to look at pictures and layouts of old plans from a past era you can look at reprints of the pattern books by Publishers Like Dover. I have several.

Also, if you don't already know the work of Eric Sloane, Check out "A Reverence for Wood". He has several other titles - all great reading and filled with captivating graphics.

And, finally, there is this little number. There are details for this optional false front included in my Little House Plans Kit. I'm amazed that nobody has yet built this version of the cabin (or at least sent back pictures) ::). It would make a great home office.