Fire/rodent resistant Tarp for woodpile source

Started by Dave Sparks, July 09, 2012, 09:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Sparks

I thought I would get a proper wood shed built this year. It was on the list but someone crossed it off as done  :o 

Does anyone have a link or info on what would work as a Fire/rodent resistant Tarp for a woodpile ?  Thanks
"we go where the power lines don't"

considerations

Interesting goals.  Cats are my best answer to rodent resistance.  There will always be some sort of critters in a woodpile...all those sheltering nooks and crannies are too tempting.  If nothing else, lay down landscape cloth, over-lay pallets, then stack the wood "neatly", cuts down on moisture wicking up from the ground and less places for critters to hide. Laying a piece of lumber down the center of the long dimension to direct rain runoff and draping with a tarp that is bungied to the pallets might help with air circulation. I cannot speak to a fire resistant tarp...maybe your local fire department would have some words of wisdom there.  ???

rick91351

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

UK4X4

Fire and rodent proof- under severe fire condition would probably make charcoal ! 

slightly heavier than your average tarp

but does what you want ! ::)

Dave Sparks

My plan was to buy a truckers tarp (non plastic) and spray it with a retardent. Nice ideas so far but I am on the tarp plan and already have a design that I will use that has ATV/truck acess from both sides.

The cats help in an open design but once the winter comes they can't easily get under the tarp. The plastic tarps get rat holes and I do not trust them with blowing fire embers during summer fire season.

Maybe there is not an answer? ???

MountainDon

After seeing how well woodpiles burn when a forest fire gets too close or sends out fat embers we decided the best solution for us was to make a simple replaceable wood shed (3 sides plus roof). Then we placed it far away from the cabin and other buildings. It's also placed in an open space so that when it does catch fire it should not cause a canopy fire.

There are fire retardant tarps available....

http://www.tarpsplus.com/firrettar.html?ovchn=GGL&ovcpn=Fire+Retardant+Tarps&ovcrn=fire+proof+tarp&ovtac=PPC&gclid=COahgs-TlbECFaQaQgodXwfchQ

http://www.mytarp.com/flame-retardant-tarps.aspx?gclid=CLbUgNGTlbECFQY0QgodSAdshA

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

I've had this book marked for some time now.  I think I got it here on this forum.....

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Green-Homes/1995-08-01/Country-Skills-1.aspx

MD I agree with you but what I am thinking is right next to the house and not stock it with wood until the "gales of November"  But then we are planing a yard with landscape.  We want four or five cords close when the three or four foot of snow sets in.  Then it would be nice to have a like one down at the shop as well.   ???
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MountainDon

I understand how much nicer it would be to have a supply of firewood close at hand. Years ago that is exactly what we had just outside the side door. However, I'm now leery of having a stack of dry wood close to the house/cabin/barn/whatever. They burn too well. Maybe I'm "fire paranoid" now.  ??? 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Dave Sparks

Nothing near the house until November for sure! I wish I had time to build anything but thanks for the tarp links Don. At least with the tarp it might slow down the burn enough for me to drive home and fight the fire.
I did that last time... Maybe an engine will come...Nah....

Rick, why can't you move the wood in between storms?