Okanogan 20x30

Started by SkagitDrifter, September 30, 2008, 12:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RIjake

Wow, great trail cam shots!  I'm with UK4x4, I'm a hunter but these beasts are so few in numbers and they are just beautiful in the wild I wouldn't take one.

rick91351

Quote from: RIjake on July 31, 2011, 11:35:00 AM
Wow, great trail cam shots!  I'm with UK4x4, I'm a hunter but these beasts are so few in numbers and they are just beautiful in the wild I wouldn't take one.

Might be where you are from.  Oregon is being over run by them.  Washington and Idaho has a very stable breeding population from what I have read.  (I know Idaho does.)  That however does not mean you will see them all the time.  I am very fortunate I see felines and and k-nines in the wild.  :) But I am not blessed to see deer and elk as seems most are.   :(

By the way that is a remarkable cat.   [cool]   If they get to close to barns, houses, and livestock then I would put one down.  Same with coyotes and bobcats.  That said do not please get me wrong.  In my thirty some years on the railroad as an engineer I have had just about everything imaginable jump, run or drive in front of a locomotive.  I look at life a lot differently than most.  I will be so glad when it is all over in a few months and there will not be any more beef cows, does and fawns, calf elk, cow and bulls and of course #$#$ cars.  Sorry to vent but --- life is to precious, to special to take at a whim.  Weight it all out before you pull the trigger.  Is it always wrong?  No.  Is it always right?  No.     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

OlJarhead

Quote from: rick91351 on July 31, 2011, 03:27:52 PM
Might be where you are from.  Oregon is being over run by them.  Washington and Idaho has a very stable breeding population from what I have read.  (I know Idaho does.)  That however does not mean you will see them all the time.  I am very fortunate I see felines and and k-nines in the wild.  :) But I am not blessed to see deer and elk as seems most are.   :(

By the way that is a remarkable cat.   [cool]   If they get to close to barns, houses, and livestock then I would put one down.  Same with coyotes and bobcats.  That said do not please get me wrong.  In my thirty some years on the railroad as an engineer I have had just about everything imaginable jump, run or drive in front of a locomotive.  I look at life a lot differently than most.  I will be so glad when it is all over in a few months and there will not be any more beef cows, does and fawns, calf elk, cow and bulls and of course #$#$ cars.  Sorry to vent but --- life is to precious, to special to take at a whim.  Weight it all out before you pull the trigger.  Is it always wrong?  No.  Is it always right?  No.     

Few Months?  Did I miss something?

SkagitDrifter

Hey All-
Well, after a lack-luster start to this summer I'm back in production mode on the cabin.
Found a closeout deal on some 5/4x6 PVC decking that I could not pass up.  I am a total wood guy and never thought I would ever use plastic decking but at $.50 per linear foot - the choice was easy.
The stuff went down easy and even feels good under foot, also used it for the rail cap which ties the whole thing together.  Still not sold on plastic but we'll make it work.

Got lots done at a relaxed pace- my wife even got in some hammock time.

Great weekend over at the cabin.

Hope you all had fun and got lots done on your projects.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

JavaMan

Got any of that composite decking left?

We've got to replace the decking at the house, and that's exactly what Beautiful is looking for...  Wish I'd beat you to it!

That looks like a great place to sit an relax - good job!

SkagitDrifter

Java- I don't have any to spare myself but I could check with the supplier if you want.
How much would you need for your project?
This was a closeout product- so no warranty, returns, exchanges etc.
From what I hear the decking did have some issues with color fade - could be why they are dumping it.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

rick91351

If he has a lot and Javaman does not need it all I might be interested.  How much does he have left after Javaman.  How much and from where?  I got a couple projects going and I am not comfortable with the numbers.  Will be up in the Washington area this fall some time, the way it looks.  Or hope to be anyway....  Got a come on up to the Sound fishing trip invite.  Then we have a lot of close friends in the Seattle area.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

JavaMan

Quote from: SkagitDrifter on August 24, 2011, 10:53:49 AM
Java- I don't have any to spare myself but I could check with the supplier if you want.
How much would you need for your project?
This was a closeout product- so no warranty, returns, exchanges etc.
From what I hear the decking did have some issues with color fade - could be why they are dumping it.

I'll go measure tonight and let you know this evening.  Beautiful is away visiting her mother and I'd be a hero (again) if I could at least arrange for the materials at a good price! Best price I've found so far is $1.75 / lineal foot.

Now if I could only find an inexpensive Jacuzzi! :)

JavaMan

Quote from: JavaMan on August 24, 2011, 11:59:10 AM
I'll go measure tonight and let you know this evening.  Beautiful is away visiting her mother and I'd be a hero (again) if I could at least arrange for the materials at a good price! Best price I've found so far is $1.75 / lineal foot.

Now if I could only find an inexpensive Jacuzzi! :)

I think we're looking at close to 1000 feet maybe even as much as 1500' (it's a BIG deck)... 40' along the front of the house (only 4" wide) and currently about 20'x8' on the side, which we want to expand a goodly amount

SkagitDrifter

Wow!  That is a big deck.
Unfortunately, My guy is out of the the smokin' deal decking.
He said it lasted about three days and was gone.  Sorry Java and Rick.
Abraham Lincoln

JavaMan

Quote from: SkagitDrifter on August 25, 2011, 07:18:05 PM
Wow!  That is a big deck.
Unfortunately, My guy is out of the the smokin' deal decking.
He said it lasted about three days and was gone.  Sorry Java and Rick.

Doesn't surprise me none... that was truly a smokin' deal.  I wonder if the local auction is going to have any coming up soon.

SkagitDrifter

I needed the space at home so we thought it was time to start moving the pile of junk we accumulated over the years to decorate the cabin.  Although we still have a long way to go - floors, cabinets, trim,- the "artifacts" really transform the place from a wood box to something more cabin feeling.
The exterior is complete and with winter here again I feel pretty good about that.  I have the cabinets  and furniture ready to go but I refuse to bring them over until I have the floor installed and finished. 

Old apple crate tag from around our area.

Coat rack I made from old pool balls and beer taps

Old canoe paddle covered in beer/wine/wiskey labels

Hope you are all having fun with your projects.
Thanks for looking in.
Tom
Abraham Lincoln

John Raabe

Handsome project Tom!

With lots of neat creative touches. Nice work! This will be the family for a long time.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Toyotaboy

Awesome finishing touches. I'm trying to get my dad to part with his old snow shows like you have. I like the old side by side and fly rod!

I should be starting my thread any day now. We got the go ahead from the building inspector!  ;D

CjAl

Looks great. How much open.space do you have before the loft starts? I may have to extend my loft out further then id like to meet my min square footage requirements but yours reassures me it will look good

Grimjack

Your Cabin Looks Great!!! Its obvious you've put alot of work and care  into it!

SkagitDrifter

Thanks for the kind words gang.

Great news on the go-ahead to start on your place Ron.
I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.
Be sure to post lots of pictures.

CjAl-
The footprint of the building is 20x30 with the loft being 20x20.
It leaves about 10'x20' open to the loft above.

T

Abraham Lincoln

henderson

You have done some nice work.

SkagitDrifter

Erik's (Ol Jarhead) post on the loft ladder/stair got me thinking.  I have a temp. ladder that I plan to replace before the next trip over.  I have the mesurements and have figured the rise and run- what I don't have is a design.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I have done a search and there are a few that I have found but still not set on one.  I do know I want an actual tread with some sort of grab bar, not a typical ladder with round rungs.  Erik do you have a plan for yours yet?  Anyone else?
Thanks- Hope everyone is having a good winter.

Abraham Lincoln

OlJarhead

I'm basically using Scott's design (I think it was Scott anyway) of a ships ladder.

Using 2x10's for the risers and 2x8's (actually 2x whatever will fit since I can mill them myself) for the treads.  I'm looking at 67/68 degrees which is pretty close to the 70 of a true ships ladder (I think it's 70 for them anyway).  I plan to install a grab bar on the ceiling where the ladder stops and a rail along the outside to give folks something to hold onto.

SkagitDrifter

Hi Gang-
Wow, time really flies when you're having fun.  Have not posted in a long time- been real busy with work and picking away at the cabin project.  Thought I would post a few recent pictures of the sometimes painfully slow progress...

View from above.

Outdoor Shower

Inside the Outdoor Shower- Hot shower and a cold cocktail after work- that's livin'.

Finally got to instaling the hardwood flooring- Doug Fir.

Slow going using a generator.  Each piece had to be squared up on both ends.
Lots of running up and down stairs.  After this weeknnd I'm about half done.
I have all of the "hard" cuts done.  I set up the router with a slot cutter to groove the ends of the flooring where it meets a break board. 

Added the horseshoe pits.  Just in time for the 1st annual Pine Creek Open on Labor Day weekend. 

Cash enjoying a cool swim in a mountain stream after a long hot weekend.

Hope you all had a great weekend and gots lots done on your projects.
Thanks for looking in.

Abraham Lincoln

John Raabe

Handsome project in some lovely country. That stream looks refreshing.

Best wishes on the Pine Creek Open! :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

OlJarhead

Lookin' good!  That shower beats mine hands down.....but then....well you'll have to see! lol

pmichelsen

Good to see another horseshoe player, the pits are the first thing I have done on my property.

Toyotaboy

Skagitdrifter,

Awesome outside shower. What is the silver canister on legs in the corner? Some sort of water heater? How is it powered? Propane?

I'm very curious.

Toyotaboy!