Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

As I was fishing in Angels Camp the other day the city work crew was beside the creek I was going to fish in.  I asked them about fishing there and other access.  The foreman told me of where to fish (secret places!!!) and in talking with him and his crew I mentioned I was from Mariposa.

He told me of a map of the tunnels under Angels Camp he had seen in the Mariposa Museum 10 to 15 years ago and someone there was supposed to send him a copy of it but never did.  He asked if I would check it out for him.  I told him sure, no problem..... so yesterday I made the first visit to the museum and signed up to join their museum friends support group. $20 and with that I get one hour of research free .. they charge $25 for that so I earned $5.  They have volunteers who come and help search through the history vault so I will try to find whatever I can for my friend in Angels Camp for their Museum.  [cool]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Sassy made it back last night..we got home at 2 AM.  [ouch]

Her luggage didn't make it though... it is thinking about coming home this afternoon... [noidea'

I made Brownie points... the sidewalk is now nearly to the front porch... just a ramp to build and I can pour the final joining section... yay for me... :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

...also I have been thinking... [idea]

Some of you might enjoy this....

Take one or two tablespoons of Bragg Unfiltered Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, a tablespoon of honey and about 16 oz of warm water.... stir it well and it is a great drink for anytime of day.. or add about 10 drops of cinnamon Stevia drops to it also.

Another great drink is just Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar and water along with about 6 drops of Cinnamon Stevia per 8 ounce glass, for a no calorie drink that tastes full flavored and has 0 calories ..and no poison like Aspartame or Sucralose.  [cool]

Amazon has the Stevia drops (herbal sweetener).

I'm trying to lose a couple LBS... It is working.  I am using MyFitnessPal and Accupedo on my Android.  Before that I didn't realize how much I was overeating.  I was falling into Typical Fat American Syndrome.....[ouch]

Just thought I would throw that out there....OK ...so I fell into it a long time ago and am now trying to crawl out of it... [waiting]

So much more energy.... oh yes some of the energy is provided by Acetyl L-Carnitine which helps burn the stored fat.... and I take one Chromium Picolinate in the morning - half of what Bragg recommends in his vinegar book.  His credentials are questionable but he is endorsed by many well known people so I am going to go with most of what he says.  My research says the extra Chromium Picolinate he recommends at night could be too much.  Anyway ...it is working.  Can't argue with that.   :o

....also got rid of my GERD or reflux/heartburn ...whatever you want to call it.  Lost 18 lbs from my worst weight in about 5 or 6 weeks.

ben2go

Quote from: glenn kangiser on November 06, 2012, 10:44:21 AM
...also I have been thinking... [idea]

Some of you might enjoy this....

Take one or two tablespoons of Bragg Unfiltered Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, a tablespoon of honey and about 16 oz of warm water.... stir it well and it is a great drink for anytime of day.. or add about 10 drops of cinnamon Stevia drops to it also.

Another great drink is just Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar and water along with about 6 drops of Cinnamon Stevia per 8 ounce glass, for a no calorie drink that tastes full flavored and has 0 calories ..and no poison like Aspartame or Sucralose.  [cool]

Amazon has the Stevia drops (herbal sweetener).

I'm trying to lose a couple LBS... It is working.  I am using MyFitnessPal and Accupedo on my Android.  Before that I didn't realize how much I was overeating.  I was falling into Typical Fat American Syndrome.....[ouch]

Just thought I would throw that out there....OK ...so I fell into it a long time ago and am now trying to crawl out of it... [waiting]

So much more energy.... oh yes some of the energy is provided by Acetyl L-Carnitine which helps burn the stored fat.... and I take one Chromium Picolinate in the morning - half of what Bragg recommends in his vinegar book.  His credentials are questionable but he is endorsed by many well known people so I am going to go with most of what he says.  My research says the extra Chromium Picolinate he recommends at night could be too much.  Anyway ...it is working.  Can't argue with that.   :o

....also got rid of my GERD or reflux/heartburn ...whatever you want to call it.  Lost 18 lbs from my worst weight in about 5 or 6 weeks.

I will have to check with my doc and make sure I am good to go to try some of this.I currently have a severe problem with GERD and over active gall bladder.My digestive system has to much acid.My doc is trying to get me to control it through a high fiber low acid.He feels that I need fiber to help absorb the acid.I am also on an acid binding medication,colestipol and nexium to help slow down acid production.The nexium has helped heal the damage from GERD.I still wake up some nights drown in the contents from my stomach going into my lungs.I believe that's called aspirating.Sassy can give you the exact term for the condition.Before I gained all this weight back in '05,I wasn't having problems with GERD.I gained almost 60lbs in less than two months.It seems that I went through a hormone shift from youth to adulthood.I stay right between 220lbs and 230lbs.My ideal weight has been calculated to be 143lbs to 147lbs.I'm trying for 160lbs.It's been kind of hard to get out and do anything.I was on ciproflo which caused me to have mild neuropathy in my hands,arms,lower legs and feet.I'm trying to get all this under control,plus loose weight.Maybe I need to practice yogi.I can't hardly flex enough to tie my own shoes.  [waiting]

glenn kangiser

Docs do not always know what works or causes and many times the medications they are required to prescribe to keep out of trouble with the lawyers and pharmaceutical companies complicate matters worse. I am not a doc and can't say what is right for you but my daughter mentioned that sometimes our stomach acid won't digest some of the foods and you actually need more or different acid to help with that.. That is where the raw organic vinegar seems to help me.

It seems the antacids sometimes make matters as I already had a problem with things such as butter. Instant reflux. No more problem with that for me and I eat plenty of it. :)

ben2go

Quote from: glenn kangiser on November 06, 2012, 01:34:21 PM
Docs do not always know what works or causes and many times the medications they are required to prescribe to keep out of trouble with the lawyers and pharmaceutical companies complicate matters worse. I am not a doc and can't say what is right for you but my daughter mentioned that sometimes our stomach acid won't digest some of the foods and you actually need more or different acid to help with that.. That is where the raw organic vinegar seems to help me.

It seems the antacids sometimes make matters as I already had a problem with things such as butter. Instant reflux. No more problem with that for me and I eat plenty of it. :)

That makes a lot of sense.I never thought of it that way.Teach me wise one.

glenn kangiser

I just try to remember things that might useful and see if they work for me....maybe they will work for others....  :)

MountainDon

If nobody minds I'll stick my 2 cents worth in on the subject of doctors in general. I do have a special spot in my heart and mind for the surgeon who helped get rid of the recurring tumor in my mandible. But other than that I feel doctors don't know jack, in general. They're too eager to write a script and virtually clueless when it comes to talking about what goes into your body in the manner of food and drink; nutrition in other words. You can learn more about your health on your own. It's more work and time consuming that filling a Rx, but in the end I believe more beneficial.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I appreciate your two cents, Don.  I think your analysis is correct.  Sassy has told me a lot of how the system works.  It has to do with money, liability and protocols.  Mess up on that and you lose your license. [ouch]

We research on our own and in general try to stay away from them even though someone I know is a nurse...... [waiting]

ben2go

Quote from: MountainDon on November 06, 2012, 06:20:47 PM
If nobody minds I'll stick my 2 cents worth in on the subject of doctors in general. I do have a special spot in my heart and mind for the surgeon who helped get rid of the recurring tumor in my mandible. But other than that I feel doctors don't know jack, in general. They're too eager to write a script and virtually clueless when it comes to talking about what goes into your body in the manner of food and drink; nutrition in other words. You can learn more about your health on your own. It's more work and time consuming that filling a Rx, but in the end I believe more beneficial.

I tend to agree.My GI doc is all about the diet.He has ran every test possible on me and there's nothing left but diet and meds.I do believe he negated a cancer case with me.Digestive cancer runs in my family.He removed a polyp and it came back negative for cancer.In 10 years it could have been cancerous.I'm only 35 so it would have had plenty of time to grow and turn cancerous before it would have been caught.All the other docs I been to just wrote me scripts and told me to not worry and not be nervous.One doctor wrote me a scripts for depression and anxiety then told me to see a shrink.I haven't seen those doctors again.

glenn kangiser

I would also research your meds on your own and possible interactions, Ben.  Google it....  8)

Our neighbor was on tons of meds until he ran out of money and had to stop.  After he couldn't afford the 17 meds anymore and stopped, he got well. [waiting]

ben2go

Quote from: glenn kangiser on November 07, 2012, 12:07:53 PM
I would also research your meds on your own and possible interactions, Ben.  Google it....  8)

Our neighbor was on tons of meds until he ran out of money and had to stop.  After he couldn't afford the 17 meds anymore and stopped, he got well. [waiting]

I did that when I got them filled.I made sure I know how they work to help me.Donnatal, I am supposed to take,I can't.It triggers my migraines.Usually woody nuts cause them and certain sound frequencies.I have one that I only take as needed.It really helps but can cause dependency so I use it with great caution and sparingly.

MountainDon

I lived with intestinal ills for decades. Not once did the gastrointestinal "expert doctor" suggest I be tested for food allergies or sensitivities. He advised me to eat yogurt, the heavily advertised healthful varieties. The gold plated health plan I had did not cover allergy testing; they would cover prescriptions to try and rid me of symptoms. So we paid for testing ourselves. Tested for a few hundred foods. Lots of positive hits came back; which was demoralizing at first. But after removing things like wheat/gluten, dairy, hen eggs, tree nuts and peanuts from my diet my gut improved. So did the GERD that had begun to bother me.  After a year of dietary change, the next colonoscopy showed an almost new, pristine gut. Maybe you can benefit from that experience. Much better deal than removal of the colon which was the next thing on the doctors bag of services.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Sassy

Hey Ben, sorry you are having all the health problems.  Through working in the medical field for 25 yrs as a nurse, I've become very skeptical about a lot of medical practices.  Like Don, I believe there are times where you must have intervention - ie his tumor & surgeries, my pending hip surgery; emergencies...  but a lot of what is practiced now is pure symptom relief - no cures. 

The pharmaceutical companies underwrite the medical schools.  A young female doctor told a friend of mine recently when she was asked "how much nutritional education do you get..." "None, we didn't get any.  We learned about the diseases & then were taught what pills we should give." 

Ask Don about irritable bowel syndrome - he could really help you on that. 

Green leafy veggies should be the biggest part of a person's diet.  Food that is alive - fresh fruits, vetables, NON-GMO (grrrr, the big chemical companies ie Monsanto, put at least $46 million into deceiving the people of California into voting down the proposition which would make it mandatory to label all GMO foods).  Anyway, staying away from sugary, empty foods ie junk foods which are full of GMO's, artificial ingredients, high fructose syrup (usually corn - which 95% is GMO).  Losing weight.

The last 2 aren't easy - I know...  finally realized that I better get some weight off for the sake of my joints & so that I don't ruin my hip replacements  :-\  I love good breads, pastries, candy, cake even though I love all vegetables, fruits etc.  These artificial junk foods have addictive properties to them as bad as heroin. 

Did you ever see the movie "Supersize Me?"  If you haven't, well worth watching.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-eRXuuH9AI
Here's an excellent discussion of GMO's 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=X4swW9OFmf8

Anyway, I've had a lifelong battle w/weight - used to work out so much, do so many sports to lose weight that I've basically worn out my joints - just so I could eat the stuff I wanted so I wouldn't gain weight.

Glenn has also been losing weight & has always gotten lots of exercise. 

When you take acid reducers or proton pump inhibitors (you're taking one) it blocks the acid production which has a rebound effect.  You don't digest your food well & if you don't take the medication you will have an over production of acid.  Just like someone who used the nasal sprays to stop the dripping nose - when they try to stop they will produce twice as much so it becomes a vicious cycle. 

So many of the medications that are given by medical providers just mask what is really wrong, ie maybe your diet, weight, not enough exercise.  So then you develop side effects which you are given another pill for & it continues on until you are basically destroying your health.  It is sad.  I was a part of all that for years - well, the past 10 yrs I haven't bought all the stories because I've seen diabetics get their sugars under control, people with high blood pressure get off all blood pressure medications etc.  by changing diet, using some supplements & getting exercises.

Well, that is my 2 cents...  oh, great, MtnDon just posted - thanks Don!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MountainDon

Ben, if you or anyone wants to ask me anything, fire away

John Raabe

When I had such problems I spent $$$$ on an alternative naturopathic doctor who found I was allergic to 100's of things (but not wheat). Then I went to my health plan covered allergist who found no allergies. In confusion I went on an elimination diet (I think I started with rice, pork and veges) until I got control of the symptoms. Then I started adding things back.

Now, for the last 33 years I have stayed away from wheat and gluten grains, tree nuts and chocolate and I do pretty well. I still don't have a confirming diagnosis.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Sassy

Allergies are a big one.  My brother felt like he was having appendicitis - would have debilitating abdominal cramps & found out he was allergic to gluten.  I was really impressed when Don shared about the improvement he's experienced & almost miraculous recovery...  worth getting checked for allergies.  Glenn's daughter has found she's also allergic to gluten & a bunch of other things - especially corn.

I should get checked out, it would probably help w/a lot of the inflammatory stuff going on in my body.  I don't always take my own advice  ::)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

Chocolate.... CHOCOLATE!!! [shocked] ....

John.... How could you.... [noidea'

OK ... yes .. so it bothers me a little too, but not that bad yet.... [waiting]

Redoverfarm

Quote from: MountainDon on November 07, 2012, 01:09:58 PM
. But after removing things like wheat/gluten, dairy, hen eggs, tree nuts and peanuts from my diet my gut improved. So did the GERD that had begun to bother me.  After a year of dietary change, the next colonoscopy showed an almost new, pristine gut. Maybe you can benefit from that experience. Much better deal than removal of the colon which was the next thing on the doctors bag of services.

Hope the pie didn't cause you problems.   It's hard to take into consideration food allergies and senseativity when no one around you has that problem and will eat anything that doesn't move and even then sometimes it's tempting.  ;)

MountainDon

What I have found is that a small sample of something that I would be better off to stay away from, is hardly noticed. None of my allergies have ever produced the immediate life threatening issues that can happen with some people; like peanuts can cut off some people's air ways. Mine are more subtle and slowly worm away when consumed regularly. So no problems with the pie... it was very good and was extremely tempting with the left overs sitting there in the freezer.  :)

Redoverfarm

Quote from: MountainDon on November 07, 2012, 05:39:03 PM
What I have found is that a small sample of something that I would be better off to stay away from, is hardly noticed. None of my allergies have ever produced the immediate life threatening issues that can happen with some people; like peanuts can cut off some people's air ways. Mine are more subtle and slowly worm away when consumed regularly. So no problems with the pie... it was very good and was extremely tempting with the left overs sitting there in the freezer.  :)

They didn't stay there long. :) [hungry]

UK4X4

I think indigestion is a common ailment

If I eat out I get it- if i eat packet food i get it. If I eat cheap cheese I get it and an odd sensation arround my nose

if the wife cooks -I'm fine !

For me it seems to be the oils and fats

I'm fine with virgin olive oil and corn oil- the rest forget it -6-7 hours of reflux

Funnily my wife started to get alergies after she had our daughter- she's the same as me on the oils and add milk and the dogs.

But how about this one - she gets hives now from both dogs - even though we had the eldest one 5 years with no issues

The three days of her period----she can play with the dog's all she wants - with zero reaction

A day later she's back bad again ...........searched on google but never found any reference to hormal agrivated alergies

I think as we get further from natural foods our bodies try and let us know they don't like certain things.

Death by doctor is pretty common these days i tend to try natural remedies or self medicate before I go to one.

glenn kangiser

I just read an article on death by doctor.....and attacks on nutritional supplements and natural health....

Follow the money, eh? ....[waiting]

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/11/05/hospital-errors-and-nutritional-supplements.aspx?e_cid=20121105_DNL_art_1

glenn kangiser

Oh yeah...

John said the C word and while I was at the drug store I had to buy a couple containers of Ice Cream - one chocolate..... [ouch]

It used to be so easy to say ....a couple half gallons of Ice Cream.... since the dairies found out they could rip off the consumer by making the boxes smaller for the same or higher price, did you ever try to say a couple of 1.75 quart or a couple of 1.5 quart boxes of Ice Cream and have it come out smoothly?  [noidea'

Not a chance..... [waiting]