Too much stuff.  I want built-ins

Started by phalynx, September 26, 2006, 11:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phalynx

Over the years I have figured out a pattern that bugs me.  We collect a little item that we think means something.  Then we get a few more.  Then we decide we'll take advantage of that space on top of the dresser to display these items.  Then, we have to dust them.  We then come up with the bright idea to buy a NEW piece of furniture to "display" these items.  Then we run out of room in it and put stiff on top, thereby completing the cycle.

ENOUGH!!!!  I have had it with the collecting of silly stuff in our house.  I want functional built-ins in our new house we are building.  I don't want a dresser.  I want functional shelves in a closet.  I don't want night stands.  I want a simple, small shelf by the bed.  I don't want a china cabinet, I want a cabinet to place them in.  I would love to hear about your built in ideas.  I would love to see some.  Any links to built in ideas etc... would be great.

Scott

John Raabe

I hear what you are saying about storage, and built-ins can help... if they are the right solution for the long term.

The problem is that built-ins can dictate how spaces are to be used. Often people want to change the function or focus of the space long before the useful lifetime of the built-in is reached.

I remember a rather interesting custom built raised seating platform that I designed for a custom house I did many years ago. It was built and the owners loved it... for about 12 months. Then they wanted to have a different furniture arrangement and changing it involved remodeling rather than grunting and hauling.  :)

I don't do furniture anymore... but I do think things like bookcases and thick walls with shelves, cupboards or built-in cabinets are a good long-term storage solution.

Dining nooks are in that middle ground. Ask yourself, will I still be sliding into that thing in 35 years?
None of us are as smart as all of us.

phalynx

There is also an added benefit.  If you don't have a lot of furniture, you don't need a lot of sq ft to fit it all in.  Suddenly, a smaller house seems quite big.  I want functional.  I am so tired of paying for what others tell me I need.  It's too easy to just accept new things and start paying.  I don't think I need a huge master bedroom furniture set.  I don't really need the big end tables next to my chair etc....  sure, there are things I do want/need.  Dining table, nope, no built in there.. I like the versatility of an expanding table and chairs.  I like my recliner and a couch too.  No need to do without everything.  

As far as moving things around, I think that rooms are better built to a purpose rather than to decorate to a new style every year or two.  I think the big thing for me is maximizing space.  I think that building something under the bed to store is a good use of space.  Building shelves and bins in a closet is great too.  A simple shelf next to the bed for the clock and hang the lamps on the wall.  

jwv

I couldn't agree more.  I used to teach childbirth classes and you get into many different topics there.  All the hype out there that you need to buy all this "stuff" when you're having a baby.  My advice was, Take the money and have the closets outfitted for a growing child!  Forget changing table, dresser, and on and on. Have room in the baby's room to get on the floor and play!

I plan to have some open shelving in the kitchen with a built in dish drainer/storage a la Sam Clark's designs http://www.samclarkdesign.com/photos_kitchens.htm Had in the previous house, loved it.

All the closets will be tricked out.  We will have built in storage under the windows.  Any place we can build in storage. we will.

Judy
http://strawbaleredux.blogspot.com/

"One must have chaos in one's self to give birth to the dancing star" ~Neitszche

Sassy

Scott, you must have been reading the thread about moving "stuff"...  I'm bad about collecting "stuff" - mine is for the house or garden.  Glenn is also bad about "stuff" but he considers his "stuff" important in that it might possibly  be used one day so therefore, justifies why we need acres to store the "stuff"  ;) .  My "stuff" only takes up shelves, drawers & closets  ::)... I, too, just might need it sometime, or I like the way it looks...

I don't think I could ever be the type of person that doesn't have special little knickknacks & lots of plants around.  I'm not into the streamlined, modern look - I guess that's why I like our "cabin"  :) .  But, not having to dust stuff would be a plus.  
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

CREATIVE1

Talk about built-ins--how about a "no-bedroom" home with two huge walk-in closets?  Only about 600 square feet, too.  

John Raabe

Very interesting design Creative.

Simple to build and in the FLW prairie style to boot!  ::)

However, I think rolling the beds away every morning would get old fast. A house needs at least one private dedicated sleeping space (loft or bedroom) in my opinion.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

jwv

I love the design and the aesthetic of the house.  But, years of camping in tent and trailer have made me realize I don't want to relocate beds everyday.  I would turn the buffet, dressing room, whatever that is that I can't read, area into a sleeping alcove. Room for a bed and a closet.  If you have a great house, what else do you need.  

This begs the question:  Other than for sleep, how much time do most people actually spend in the bedroom? (no TMI info here, please!) Shouldn't the size of the room reflect it's use?

Judy

http://strawbaleredux.blogspot.com/

"One must have chaos in one's self to give birth to the dancing star" ~Neitszche

Kristen

I thought I wanted built-in's until I had them and then I realized what I really wanted was organized maximized flexibility.  Now, a small home with few things plus solid unfinished pine, lightweight, multi-purpose (assembled myself from Ikea) inexpensive furniture does the trick for me.  I thought I'd put on a finish, but I really love the raw solid pine with a runner/cloth on top.

CREATIVE1

QuoteVery interesting design Creative.

Simple to build and in the FLW prairie style to boot!  ::)

However, I think rolling the beds away every morning would get old fast. A house needs at least one private dedicated sleeping space (loft or bedroom) in my opinion.
I was actually going to build this with a bedroom wing behind the kitchen, with a glassed-in breezeway for whatever.  I agree about having to roll out the beds, but you could probably leave them made up.  I was thinking more about using those beds for guests.

I also talked to an architect about modernizing this plan as vacation cottages.  No sleeping lofts, better for older folks who need "universal design."

Freeholdfarm

You asked how much time people actually spend in their bedrooms -- it depends.  If I was living in my own home, with other space in the house for my desk, computer, and so on, I would only sleep and dress in my bedroom.  However, my youngest daughter and I live with my grandmother in her house, so almost all my stuff is in my (small) bedroom.  That means that when I want to read, write, use the computer, sew, etc., I have to do it in my room.  In addition, most of my worldly goods are also stored in here.  The room is only about 9' x 10' plus an alcove at the door -- since we have cathedral ceilings (manufactured home), I built a loft in the alcove, above the door.  That holds quite a bit, even though it's only about three feet by five.  Then I put my twin bed up on top of a nine-drawer dresser that some friends gave me when they were moving.  That gave me a bunch more storage space, and freed up the other dresser for odds and ends.  In addition, I have an antique treadle sewing machine (used to belong to my other grandmother), a bookcase, and a desk made from a door blank, on top of two file cabinets.  Oh, a small cabinet, a footstool (under the desk), and an office chair.  All in that little room.  It's kind of like living in a storage shed, sigh.  But it works.

More on-topic, when Grandma doesn't need me here anymore (she's 93 -- in good health, though), and I get to build a house for my daughter and I (daughter is autistic and will always be with me), much of the furniture will be built in.  The house will be too small to allow for much rearranging of furniture.  And I have a pretty firm idea of what needs to be there, and what needs to be where.  So I don't expect to need to be moving stuff around much.

Kathleen