Footings poured updated pics

Started by wannabuildacabin, August 05, 2010, 07:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannabuildacabin

My footings are 14" thick and are about 30" sq and from the top of the ground to the top of the footings is 20". I drove rebar about 3ft in the ground and filled the block solid with concrete.

This is the plan im using.

Don_P

On these keep the rebar out of the ground and give it at least 3" of concrete cover. Rust causes steel to expand, alot. When you see a bridge spalling off concrete it is very often the rebar giving up the ghost and popping the concrete off. Salt is the main culprit there but it happens with soil too, that is the reason for the code 3" of coverage. A 90 degree bend at the bottom of the rebar makes it really connect the pier to the footing, that can't pull through.  Also don't forget that the inspector needs to sign off on the footing prep before you pour.

Looking at your plan, when I've built that style we put in a level ceiling at the level of the top plate of the shed dormer to tie the roof from spreading and sagging. I usually shoot a half dozen .131 nails at each end of the ceiling joists into each rafter.