24 x 24 floor plan

Started by jbos333, October 19, 2007, 08:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbos333

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone out there has a small cottage or home floor plan suitable for an existing 24 x 24 building. I have some "country" property with a post and beam utility building and I was thinking about possibly raising the roof or putting on a gambrel roof to allow for living space above.

glenn kangiser

Welcome to the forum jbos333. :)

If there is any possibility you will need another building in the future, you may want to consider starting from scratch, but if not we will see what ideas we can give you.

It's just that changing something that is not what you want into something like you want causes you to compromise your plans or methods of building to accommodate what is there already, and sometimes when you factor in the demolition and rebuilding there is not a savings -or can be a loss.

I learned that from my old dead uncle when we did a remodel - restoration on an old homestead years ago.

If it still makes more sense to do it as a remodel, we are willing to offer our thoughts. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

jbos333

Hi Glenn, thanks for the welcome. My long-term plans for this property could include a full-time residence. For now, though, I would like to make something "liveable" year round but I would still actually "live" mostly at my current residence. I have priced out some home "kits" as well as "modular" homes; the prices weren't really too bad, a small "kit" 1 bedroom 24 x 24 for 15,000 ish (just lumber,roofing,siding) or a 3 bed, 2 bath "modular" ranch pretty much turnkey- site work etc. for a touch under 100,000. My deed restrictions prevent me from a "trailer" type home.
The main thing I want to do for now is avoid the tax man, if I'm not actually residing there all year. Taxes in NY will kill ya! I have installed a 200 amp electric service this spring, underground 400 ft from pole, going into my existing building. I am contemplating a septic system sized for a 3 bedroom home so hopefully I can tie in to it if/when I am ready for full time residence. I still have to check more on this, but I think I can put in a legal septic without raising taxes. I was going to tell them I want to use it for my camper until I eventually build a home, if they ask.

glenn kangiser

1. Is the foundation adequate?  

2. Do you know what type of footings are around the outside?  

3. Could you use a row of posts in the center for additional support?  

4. Is it a slab floor or crawl space?

5. Are you wanting to get the entire 24x24 as added living area or usable space?

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

jbos333

Hi Glenn, the building walls are supported by 6x6 columns, a total of 8 for the 24 x 24 size. Under the 6x6 columns are 12" sonotubes x 38-1/2" + deep. There are double 2 x 8 beams around the top perimeter of the 6 x 6's. Note- "real" 6x6's and 2x8's rough cut by Amish.As of right now, there is no center support for the span. Unfortunately, the roof is a fairly low pitch 6/12 so the max headroom in the center of a loft would only be about 6' unless I modify the roofline. The floor is a poured slab. Siding is rough cut hemlock board and batten. No insulation at all right now. Corrugated metal roof.
I'm kind of undecided on what to do here....basically looking for the most bang for the buck. I'm single, so all I really need is something simple, well insulated for the deep freeze we get here, and cost-effective. Maybe within the ground fllor of my existing building, I can section off roughly 12 x 24 and keep the rest for storage, eliminating the expense of raising the roof and putting a floor in for a loft. I just figured a loft would be more "liveable".
The other reason I was looking to do it this way (other than the tax issue) is that I would like to remain "mortgage free". I figured I maybe could pay as I go if I did it this way.  Thanks a lot for the response thus far; I can use any suggestions I can get!

glenn kangiser

You could section off an area and use the roof of it as a sleeping loft or even add a single slope dormer to one side  of the roof to join at the existing roof line.  It could even be a corner 12x12 or so then full loft above with dormer for headroom.   Just kicking out a few ideas to keep this from being major.  Max span on 2x12's is about 20 feet, so maybe you could include a wall (or the 12x12 center wall could be bearing) and add a couple supports under the floor to cut the span or a beam for open area.

jbos333

Thanks Glenn, I never thought of a 12 x 12 w/dormer. I'll be going there tomorrow, maybe I'll do some laying out with chalk or such to get an idea of size. If I'm going to have living space on the concrete slab, should I put some sort of subfloor with insulation directly over the concrete?

glenn kangiser

Depends on your situation.  Nearly all houses around here in the valley -- crackerboxes-- are built with slab on grade.  If your ground cold comes up through the slab it could be a consideration but maybe carpet with pad and a big wood stove would take care of it. :-?