T1-11 siding question

Started by Arky217, October 26, 2008, 10:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arky217

When you have a wall that is higher than 8', how do you weatherproof the horizontal joint between the two pieces of siding ? (T1-11 is only available in 4'x8' sheets in my area)

Thanks,
Arky

n74tg

It's called Z-edge, or Z-strip, a metal strip that you can paint.   

|
|
|____
       |
       |
       |
Shaped like this, left edge goes behind upper panel, right edge goes outside bottom panel. 
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

PEG688

"Z" metal is one way, 

They will have it made up in for either 1/2 " or 5/8" depending on your T1-11 thickness.

Personally I like to apply strips of scrap T1-11 to the studs above the lower sheets to "Fir out " then apply the upper sheets with a 2" or so over lap , it creates a reveal / shadow line and it's just more weather proof.

So you skin out the remaining studs and over lay the upper sheets , no metal , no leaks!   

The picture won't post,  :( I'm sick of trying it ten ways  d*, so just ask for Z metal , they should have it,  it the Borg.  :)

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

PEG688

Quote from: n74tg on October 26, 2008, 10:31:40 AM

It's called Z-edge, or Z-strip, a metal strip that you can paint.   

|
|
|____
       |
       |
       |
Shaped like this, left edge goes behind upper panel, right edge goes outside bottom panel. 

There ya go , theres always another way to do or show something :)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

hnash53

Hmmmmmmmm.....I have 10' walls, 8' of T1-11 and a 2' piece of T1-11 on top of that.  It's been that way since 2002 and I didn't do anything to weatherproof it.  My T1-11 is layed over tar paper which is over 7/16" OSB sheathing.  My cabin is in high and dry Wyoming and moisture is rarely an issue here.  If you have overhangs, wouldn't that pretty much take care of any moisture issues?

glenn kangiser

It could except for driven snow and rain, Hal.  My place on the ridge gets straight driving sideways rain at times which could get very high even with 8 foot overhangs.  Our rental has an 8'wide porch and I have seen rain most of the way up the wall there.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

cordwood

Don't forget to caulk the joints!
I have cut a matching bevel on the panels and with caulk and paint the joint is weatherproof and hardly visible.
The Z metal is easier but I am not a fan of how it looks and the nooks it creates is a welcome sign for bugs. ;)
I cut it three times and it's still too short.