Universal Cottage in OH w/ Bsmnt

Started by John Raabe, October 20, 2009, 04:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

Got these images via email from Adam who is building in Ohio.

"The only mods to your plan were the live-in attic space, and some minor revisions of your partitioning for rooms/kitchen/etc.  When I was told about attic trusses, I couldn't resist.  To get good head-room in the attic, I changed the roof pitch to 12/12.  Thanks for putting together such a great and simple plan."

Here's a link to the Universal Cottage Plans.

View from the outside

Basement level

Main floor framing

Upper floor framing

Attic framing with attic trusses
None of us are as smart as all of us.

miman

i also used attic trusses with my place. however, i think i see two probems. the upper windows do not look to be egress and the attic trusses look to be cut at the stairs.

Mike 870

Many of the Southern and Eastern Counties in Ohio do not have building inspections, so he may be ok on the windows.  Great job so far, and it's always great to see fellow Ohioans on the board. 

John Raabe

Here's another image... I think it might be looking from the attic room over the future front porch.

PS - Always a good idea to have a window you can get out of in case of a fire below you that blocks the stairs (that's the intent of that code requirement). Even without code requirements, I expect that one would work fine after you beat it out with a chair. ::)
None of us are as smart as all of us.

nbj40

would love to know where in ohio.  I am also in ohio, hoping to someday fine some reasonably priced land so my family and i can build a similar home. 

Mike 870

NBJ,

What area are you in and how far are you willing to travel from that location?  There is a lot of land in Ohio that I think is pretty reasonable.  I can suggest some areas to start looking in.

nbj40

we are currently on the east side of Columbus Ohio.  we are still processing how far is to far to travel.  Land in our current are is very pricey.  I have know of some moving 45 min to an  hour out and finding some better prices.  i am open for suggestions.

thanks,
brian