Saltbox Questions (window & foundation)

Started by MichaelM, October 28, 2007, 09:26:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelM

I just received the Solar Saltbox plan.  Really enjoying reading this plan. Quick questions.

Custom Window
I can't find the dimensions, do you have?  Also, not sure what "Confirm R.O. before ordering."

Foundation
We are steering towards a slab foundation.  (Unfortunately, we have allergy issues with forced air heating)  I'm guessing a slab should be pretty straightforward.  Perhaps it should be extra thick under the masonry stove location.  Any thoughts off the top of your head on going slab is appreciated.

Thanks!
michael

glenn kangiser

John will probably be on this soon, but I will kick in what I can.

Windows are not all manufactured the same size hence confirm Rough Opening sizes.  This could be a factor in the dimensions or simply the sizes you want or energy code requirements.

I have been around lots of single story slab houses.  We dug 12x12 perimeter footings around all bearing walls.  2 story may be wider, plus there will be footings under posts, masonry fireplaces or other extra loads.

That's what little I know. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

QuoteUnfortunately, we have allergy issues with forced air heating
Hi MIchael. Your mention of allergies struck home with me. We have serious allergies as well. A couple years ago we upgraded out heating/cooling system. The new furnace and A/C air handler uses a high efficiency electrostatic air filtering unit. 99.something efficiency IIRC. Other hot air furnaces have simialr options. The filtrartion unit was a little pricey.

We first went with a large paper filter with higher efficiency than the typical 1" thick filters you find at the home improvement store. It's about 5 - 6 inches thick. The electronic filter unit fit into the same cabinet as the larger paper unit. So upgrading it later was no big deal.

G/L and I'm looking forward to seeing things develop.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

Hi Guys:

I write this from the mountains of NE Arizona where the internet connection is a bit creaky, but here are my comments:

Windows - That triangular window in the LR will be special order and you should make an opening size that works for your wall layout and then confirm the rough opening before you order. You can scale the one I drew on the elevations but yours will be a bit different. The manufacturer will cut a window to match that size and it will pop in nicely.

Slab - The house would present no problems for the foundation contractor to do in a slab but there are a couple of issues that will need to be adjusted.

First, the sunroom and the main level floor will now be at the same level. This is probable a good thing that you will enjoy. However, you will need to decrease the slope of the sunroom roof as it will now climb too high up the side wall and block the egress windows in the bedrooms on the second level.

Second, the recirculation plenum and sealed and insulated crawlspace no longer make any sense so you should just build a simple masonry chimney around the flue liner and you won't need as big a foundation footing under the slab. It should still be deeped and reinforced with steel going up the chimney but you won't need the big air plenum and thermal storage column. This will save some money as you will now have the solar storage in your slab. Even better! (But be sure to insulate the slab well.)
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MichaelM

Great Feedback!

John - since I'll be replacing the plenum/crawlspace with a slab - I'm wondering if you might suggest the dimensions of footing under the future masonry stove?

Perhaps this is too technical to spring on you and I should get a engineer.  But just in case you already considered, I thought I'd ask.

Thanks, michael

John Raabe

You can use the same footing shown for the masonry thermal storage column. It is 12" deep and has the rebar both directions. The depth can start from the top of the slab so the footing is only 8" deeper than the slab. Make it about 6" wider than the stove masonry.

(PS - this is my first reply using the new SMF forum!)
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

A milestone, John and looks like it may not be too painful. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.