How to use 3DHA to customize plans and elevations

Started by John Raabe, April 23, 2008, 04:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

You may already know that the simple home design programs 3D Home Architect ver. 3 (about $12) and Better Homes and Gardens Home Designer ver. 6 or 7 ($30 or so) can do floor plan modifications to many of our paper plans. If not see this article. An easy way to do this is to use the templates that can be downloaded from our sister site (subscription based - costs $29) at PlanHelp.com

Here is a simple PDF tutorial (may take a few seconds to load) on how to use the scaled printouts from these programs to do the elevations and cross sections that are often needed for the building department. This can give you options for more detailed modifications than just floor plan changes.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

considerations

John, If I understand things correctly, 3DHA does not produce framing diagrams.  And BHG does, but you cannot completely rely on them? 

John Raabe

That's correct. The BH&G framing diagrams (in 3d) are helpful visually but are generic and incomplete for building.

Something I think is more important is that 3DHA does scaled cross section diagrams which with a scaled floorplan can give you a pretty good idea of how the spaces of the building are going to feel.

I have not been able to get the BH&G to produce a full cross section.

considerations

Ok.  I ordered the framing book today.  The flooring is in process.  Then I'll need to figure out the walls, and where the holes for doors and windows go.  That is why I asked.  I do well with diagrams.  This is undiscovered country for me.   

Just don't want those holes in the wrong places.   Sounds easy to those of you with experience, I'm sure. 

John Raabe

Yep, the holes are important. Their location is best documented on the floorplans, but either of the planning programs can help you visualize them and make changes. But those changes will be reflected in the floorplan and elevation. That's what the builder will use.