Bigger windows or what PEG688 been up to lately.

Started by PEG688, January 27, 2009, 12:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEG688

So I been busy , I started a new job a few months ago, it's been a good gig. More money , but I lost a few bennies , and gained a few so all in all it's been a plus side job change.

I really like the guys I work with and the  main boss and the project managers.

We doing a little shack down on a local water way ,  it has a few details some of you may want to add to your places , such as bumped out windows , swooped roof-let at the gable ends , crown molding , plinth blocks, corbels,  copper standing seam bay window roofs  and the such.

The copper roofs get placed over these,

It a long way down ,

Another gable swoop roof-let area ,

Oh ya and turrets every house needs two right?

The views not bad either ,

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

You always get into the cool stuff, PEG -- just 'cause you're the pro.  ::) 

Neat - probably rather expensive details if you don't do your own, I assume.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Ernest T. Bass

Looks like fun! I was just wondering where you've been hiding...

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

MountainDon

Oh yeah! I like turrets and copper. Nice work around the windows, too.

:) :) :) :) :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 27, 2009, 12:10:12 AM

You always get into the cool stuff, PEG -- just 'cause you're the pro.  ::) 

Neat - probably rather expensive details if you don't do your own, I assume.

Extremely expensive. Did I mention the elevator to the third floor  :o

Pretty much all top of the line materials Thur-out. 

But it's fun to take the challenge of it all :)

glenn kangiser

Cool - it helps when the money is not much of an object, however some of them can be rather hard to please.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

diyfrank

This must be up north, I don't see the hills in the view covered with homes.  Ferry in the background... Anacortes??
Someone still has money. This is a single res.?

I have 7 house starts lined up. All up north.
Home is where you make it

bayview

I've noticed your absence . . . Thanks, for the great pics !!!
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Jens

I was about to PM you last night, to ask what you were up to.  Then I saw you have posted here and there, so not as long a hiatus as I thought.  I was offline for about 6 months while we couldn't afford or justify internet, so I wonder what keeps some others away (maybe just detoxing for a while).  As always, great work.  One of the things that stinks about not being in an affluent coastal town anymore, not as many chances to do this kind of cool stuff. 

Glenn, sometimes money is no object for people, but they act like they need to go hire border brothers cause that's all they can afford.  That's the worst kind of client, IMO!
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

PEG688

PEG688

Progress althought slow has been made.

The standing seam copper roofs go above the lower units , they should get here this late next week. 

MountainDon

Quote from: PEG688 on February 26, 2009, 10:37:11 PM

The standing seam copper roofs go above the lower units , they should get here this late next week. 

Oh my! That should be nice.   :) :)

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Windpower

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

glenn kangiser

Looks great, PEG. 

I've been working out of town lately and don't get much time to look at your fine handiwork, but you seem to be doing great without me helping.  :)

John Raabe

First cabin - in fact, a good definition of the word. :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Sassy

Beautiful home & location!  As always, superior work, PEG!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

PEG688

The roof-lets finally got back from Ok. where they where 'coppered out'. We've made some progress inside and out.

The weathers been a factor , spring showers slow painter progress which in turn slows carpenter work as we ( carpenters 0 are installing all the painted trim then allowing the painters to do thier thing before we install the stained siding , so we have to 'jump around' more than we'd like.

That being said we've put a dent in the siding work , still a lot to do , about 1/2 way done , but the hard to stage sides are just about done. Except for the two turrets that will be hard to stage , but easy to side once staged up.

This piece was fun! One of the project mangers / carpenters cut and installed this piece , it appears to be running down hill to the right! I have to check this on Monday , maybe it's just the camera angle ? I hope I took this photo 'at arms length' from the staging , pointing the camera back at the house , so it could  very well be how I held the camera , I hope!   

MountainDon

Love the copper!  The whole thing will be very nice when you're done.  :)

Sassy

was wondering where you were at!  Pretty big project - very beautiful  8)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Ernest T. Bass

Judging by where the bottom of that siding hits the molding it looks straight to me.. How do you even cut that though? Scribe onto a template first? Really amazing work!

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

PEG688

Quote from: Ernest T. Bass on March 28, 2009, 11:27:38 PM

Judging by where the bottom of that siding hits the molding it looks straight to me.. How do you even cut that though? Scribe onto a template first? Really amazing work!

Seth and I where chatting as he was working his way up between the windows while I did the mitered outside corner  back to the window pieces and I said " I'd use a card board template " which is what he ended up doing. A Bosch jig saw was used to cut out the waste.

So a piece of card board off one of the fart fan boxes and a set of scribes or dividers as some folks call them.

Dividers or scribes,

Multi finger deal ,

Whether that tool would have worked I'm not sure . Would it be the right size , could you hold it level enough to get a good reading , yadda yadda yadda. That and  beside the fact we didn't have one on hand. Anyway we worked it out OK with the card board template.  ;)

Thanks for the kind words on our work :) 

glenn kangiser

It's looking good, PEG.   My son did a copper /patina'd roof in Santa Monica a while back.  Pretty specialized.

firefox

Hi Peg,
    Outstanding work! But then we expect that from you.

I am curious about one thing. Where the standing seep intersects the
flap there apears to be a dent in the flap which then distorts the flap. I am
assuming it is a weld or something like that, but it doesn't seem right.
Of course that has been said about me too....

Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

PEG688

Ya there are a few crimps at the caps over the standing seams and maybe a buckle in one photo at the sweep. I did NOT notice that buckle , till you mentioned it , so I think either it's a camera glare issue or so slight that from the ground or the h now taken down staging that it is very slight.

But all in all as it gains patina and copper character it will blend in and be as I some times say " A work of art!" Who by the way seems to follow me around , art that is  :) Lil joke there  [cool] 

firefox

OOps, Didn't mean it as a criticism, I was just being curious.
Art, yea, I know about him....
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824