Good prices for flooring.

Started by Reed067, February 03, 2016, 09:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reed067

What's a decent price for flooring? Nothing fancy though maybe some nice looking laminate flooring. We have to replace the flooring in my moms house before we can sell it. We have seen some flooring for 79 cents/Sf.Ft. Is that about average for decent flooring?  That price is from Home Depot we are just starting to look.
And what about carpet? What's a good price for foot?  Sorry for all the noob questions.  ;D

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Flooring-Laminate-Flooring-Laminate-Wood-Flooring/N-5yc1vZbejk

midrover170

Flooring, like many things, is very subjective - perhaps more than most things that go into a house. I'd say $.79/sf is on the low side of both cost and quality, but if it's a laminate product and taken care of, it will be a "decent" floor. I'm not sure where your mother's house is at, but be careful about your flooring investment. Most buyers take a close look at the floor, and if it doesn't fit the bill they'll start thinking about replacement costs when they make an offer. Don't get anything too exotic either... just because you like it doesn't mean others do. :)

I think I paid about $1.50/sf for Pergo from Home Depot that went into my cabin. I went with laminate because it was resilient to the large heat/cold swings a weekend cabin sees, and is pretty durable. Overall, I'm really pleased with it. Sure, I have to worry a bit about water damage, but otherwise it's great and looks great.

- D

Reed067

Quote from: midrover170 on February 03, 2016, 10:34:42 PM
Flooring, like many things, is very subjective - perhaps more than most things that go into a house. I'd say $.79/sf is on the low side of both cost and quality, but if it's a laminate product and taken care of, it will be a "decent" floor.

- D

Her house is in South Georgia. At one time she had 18 cats most of then inside.  :P So she had to pull up the carpet in the living room & her room. The carpet in the other two bedrooms need replaced as well. We don't want to spend a huge amount of money on the house. Something decent in the living room & maybe a tight weave carpet in the three bedrooms.

Redoverfarm

I would have to agree that $.79 is a little too cheap unless it is of grater value and is being discounted because of a discontinued line.  Going too cheap will probably hurt your chances of selling the home or at least getting a good price from it.  Check around and get quality products.  Flooring like other products are priced regionally.  What is paid on the East coast is not what it would cost on the West coast.  It is possible to get a good hardwood floor for about $2sf if you look.

Reed067

Quote from: Redoverfarm on February 04, 2016, 08:11:47 AM
I would have to agree that $.79 is a little too cheap unless it is of grater value and is being discounted because of a discontinued line.  Going too cheap will probably hurt your chances of selling the home or at least getting a good price from it.  Check around and get quality products.  Flooring like other products are priced regionally.  What is paid on the East coast is not what it would cost on the West coast.  It is possible to get a good hardwood floor for about $2sf if you look.

Good point & no we don't want to go so cheap that the flooring looks like crap & a perspective buyers walk away.
Finding something that has been discontinued would be sweet & save some money.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Reed067 on February 04, 2016, 12:01:49 PM
Good point & no we don't want to go so cheap that the flooring looks like crap & a perspective buyers walk away.
Finding something that has been discontinued would be sweet & save some money.

Not knowing the amount you need you might check at the local flooring or Lumber Liquidators for discontinued.  Lot of the times there is no large amount but maybe enough for you.

Don_P

Quote from: midrover170 on February 03, 2016, 10:34:42 PM
I went with laminate because it was resilient to the large heat/cold swings a weekend cabin sees

Just to clarify, wood moves in response to moisture change, it is one of the more stable materials in response to temperature change.