Question for hobbiest

Started by trish2, August 15, 2005, 06:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trish2

Sometime ago you wrote that you had a small sink--8x10 inches I think you said.  I have need of two of these small sizes.  Could you tell me where you purchased yours and approx price.
Thanks

hobbiest

I got my small stainless sink out of the dumpster on a construction site where I was working.  You might try restaraunt supply stores, and get a hand washing sink, they are usually small.  Or get a stainless mixing bowl, pay a shop to cut the drain hole, and JB weld some flanges to it to mount it like big brothers.  Can even undermount it!

Amanda_931

Bar sinks are small, but maybe not THAT small.  I was in a neighborhood restaurant today that has a teensy one in the ladies' room.  So I would think restaurant supply is probably right.

I wouldn't expect a SS mixing bowl to last for too long, but sizes are all over the place.

The guy from one of those decorating shows put one in his own bathroom.  With instructions in the book.

hobbiest

I wouldn't expect a SS mixing bowl to last for too long, but sizes are all over the place.

I think a SS bowl should last plenty long.  After all it is stainless steel.  Don't weld on it though and then expect it will last, cause it may change the metal structure.  Perhaps Glenn can comment on this.

glenn-k

It could probably be TIG welded by someone who is good with stainless - Mig would probably also work but rougher-   It is very thin and there is the possibility of blowing a hole in it before you got things set or warping it as things heated or cooled - discoloration is likely.

I would recommend staying away from welding unless it was by a pro who did it all the time and was sure of what he or she could do.  I would likely mess it up at first if I didn't have similar scrap material to experiment with settings on.  There are also stainless stick electrodes, but they would be better on heavier material.

peg_688

So what your saying Glenn is It[glb]  DEPENDS[/glb] hee hee.

On talent , avaible goods , local codes etc .

That thread Dave did on where your from helps quite a bit on some of the over generalization of  "we do it this way where I live "stuff .
  Might be a good requierement to join , very general area .  Address code issues . as we would remember those blessed by no code  :)
  But then again we might move that way  ::)  I like to remind everyone here on Whidbey Island it rains every day  :owell almost .  Awful place to live rain rain rain .   I have web feet so I like it  ;)
   HTBH  ;)PEG

glenn-k

You must be one of John's neighbors, eh?, PEG.  That Island can't be that big is it???

jonseyhay

I'm with Glenn on this one.
Take it to an expert, tig weld is the way to go. Weld the tags in the lip fold and you may get away without much distortion. It will need to be re-polished also. I think you could probably do it with some sort of glue if you recess the counter top. Set it just below the top with some window framers wedges and a bead of sealer.
jonesy.

glenn-k

I noticed you seem to have a lot of welding experience, Jonesy.  You mentioned you were hardfacing a while back.  

I set my pants on fire yesterday - had to complete the weld before I put it out though.  Good thing I was almost done.  For anyone who is wondering, no--it was not the back of them. ;D

jonseyhay

Yep Mate. Done the odd bit, but the eyesight is not so good now so I leave the fancy stuff for the youngsters.
The worst one is slag down the top of the sock or the underwear, now that can make you smile. :o
jonesy, ;D

trish2

Many thanks for all your input.  I truly appreciate the web links and welding advice.  I learned a bit about welding, an area where my knowledge is limited.  
Trish2

hobbiest

I set my pants on fire yesterday - had to complete the weld before I put it out though.  Good thing I was almost done.  For anyone who is wondering, no--it was not the back of them. ;D

Can't say that the front sounds too much better! ;D

Hard facing, cast iron, and cast steel are my favorites BTW, because most people are mystified by them!

glenn-k

I built a cupola and fired it with charcoal but ran out of fuel just as the cast iron was starting to run.  Coke is hard to find around here.  Gotta buy a whole truck load or go to LA for it.  I made molds from sand, sodium silicate and CO2 after that then took them to the local foundry to be poured with cast iron.

Casting brass and aluminum is fun and easy to do though and can make most parts or copy antique parts -etc to make replacement parts.

hobbiest

I was talking about welding cast iron, but have been interested with casting for some time.  Built an aluminum foundry couple winters ago, and with a home made propane burner (Ron Riel design)  could go from a cold crucible and furnace, to 5 pounds molten aly in about 15 min.  Fun (potentially, dangerous) stuff.

peg_688

QuoteYou must be one of John's neighbors, eh?, PEG.  That Island can't be that big is it???

I missed this post Glenn . We'll have you know we are the largest Island in CONUS , usurping Long Island  ,which is  not really  a Island.

It's big enought that I don't know John , he's a southender ,I live on the north end . I've done some work down south but not very much .  we might meet some day . Really with the internet the world is smaller.  

Now all I got to figure out is how to post digital pictures  :) Well and lots of other stuff as well  :-[ But that's next on computer's 101 for me .

HTBH ;)PEG