The Path to Legal Tiny Houses

Started by MountainDon, November 07, 2016, 01:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

A tiny-house code appendix is being voted on by the ICC in November.

story
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

BlueRidge

The Appendix passed and will go into affect in 2018.  Tiny houses will be legal, and will not be constrained by zoning or minimum square footage requirements.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Thanks, that's a start.   "The code has no legal effect unless it is adopted by local governments."   But it is good to have an agreed upon set of standards to begin with.

The process begins with each state government deciding when to adopt a particular version of the IRC. For example the latest IRC version is dated 2015. My state is still using 2009.

Each state may also choose not to adopt certain sections. Some sections may be made mandatory within the state. Other sections may be made optional. Optional sections usually must be adopted without any changes, but that can vary from state to state.

So, having a tiny house appendix is a good start. However, it may take a while to trickle down to our neighborhood level. Getting involved at your state and your municipal level is wise when or if we have a strong opinion on rules and regulations. 

We also must remember that zoning is a totally separate item from a building code. The various codes cover the design and construction of the various pieces that comprise the building. Zoning covers what areas may be developed for residential, commercial and industrial purposes. My city has 22 different classifications.

One requirement where I live will kill most tiny houses IMO.  The requirement is for a 20 x 22 minimum attached or detached garage. We also have minimum lot sizes; 7000 sq ft and 60 ft of road frontage for example.

Don_P

Very often though the local departments recognize new standards that they know are coming down the pipeline, always worth knowing what is in them and then having a conversation.

MountainDon

MushCreek

It's a start. I've often wondered why, in this age of energy consciousness that they still require bigger houses to be built. Many lots we looked at had a 2500 sq ft minimum house requirement! That's like making me drive a big 4X4 truck when a small sedan would do. Rules are gradually changing; FL passed a bill that allows for clotheslines as long as they are in the back yard. They had been banned in many areas. I think that there should still be subdivisions that require minimum house sizes for those that like that sort of thing, but that there should also be areas that allow for much more reasonable sized homes.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

cbc58

QuoteIt's a start. I've often wondered why, in this age of energy consciousness that they still require bigger houses to be built.

Two words:  tax revenue.

hpinson

Having trouble finding the text to this proposal.  Anyone know of a link to the actual content?

MountainDon

The actual wording of the new rule is elusive. AllI have found is this.

Don_P

Sometimes you can get to drafts, it looks like they now might be under the cdpAccess tab in the ICC site, I'm having login alzheimers at the moment.

evelt

JohnC

I would love to see this take off! One issue quite often is financing, most lenders require 700 sq ft minimum (on a foundation, no wheels). Any thoughts?

flyingvan

Lots of thoughts...I'd love to become savvy enough on the small house market to open a mortgage company specifically for tiny/small houses, working in conjunction with ICC, UBC and all the fire code entities.  Money would be lent only on safe, re-sellable tiny and small homes; part of the mission statement would be towards preserving the uniqueness and design innovations.  People already mass produce mobile homes.  I want to encourage well built permanent structures that blend into the landscape; they just happen to be small.
Find what you love and let it kill you.

JohnC

I have a friend of mine who is a mortgage broker, next time I see him I will ask if he has anyone who will do "tiny houses" (less than 700 sq ft). Also, another agent in our office recently sold a property with a small cabin structure I will find out how/who financed it and let you know.

We have a lot people who would be weekend or seasonal residents if this type of property was more available.

John

ChugiakTinkerer

My first house was a two-bedroom bungalow built in the early 50s.  It was all of 625 s.f.  Considering how many homes of that era are still standing, I imagine there are plenty of mortgage companies issuing loans for tiny houses.  Or did Freddie and Fannie suck up that portion of the market?
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

BenjaminShaw

I am also thinking to buy a new tiny house. I like tiny houses.

Dave Sparks

I like the concept here but I have seen folks build the bare minimum that the county will accept and then bring in a bunch of RV/Trailers and lower the property values in rural areas.  It can get nasty also....
"we go where the power lines don't"