Victoria Cottage at Lake Cushman, Washington

Started by CREATIVE1, February 01, 2008, 12:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Looks great, Creative.  What an ordeal .... great that it's moving along.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Quote from: CREATIVE1 on July 31, 2009, 05:11:56 PM

You have some point load issues under that ridge that should be addressed before any more load is placed on the ridge.

Ya it's been hot.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

CREATIVE1

Point load issues?  Could you clarify please?

They've put in the rafters now, but I don't know what else.  Everything is being tarped before the crew leaves on Tuesday.

PEG688

Quote from: CREATIVE1 on August 01, 2009, 01:09:16 PM

Point load issues? 

That beam is a load / weight , on the left hand side it appears to be sitting on the top plates with no header below it , below that on the ground floor level there is no header in the opening , so your transferring the beam load weight onto your  2nd floor system / joist.   

Could you clarify please?

All the weight of the beam and the roof structure is the load , in a ridge beam situation the "point / points / ends of the beam, are the "point loads"!  Your not transferring as much load to the outer walls like you would be if that was a  "normal" ridge board. 

They've put in the rafters now, but I don't know what else.  Everything is being tarped before the crew leaves on Tuesday.

I'd be concerned if you left all that weight for long period of time that things would sag , or worst case , collapse / break if it left to long in that unsupported condition.

Or maybe I'm missing something / not seeing the support headers to hold it all up?

CREATIVE1

There is a continuous header/gluelam (16 footer) downstairs at one of the gables, a gluelam over a door opening on another.  Next time I get cell service, I'll ask some questions.  Should be OK, engineered, but NEVER hurts to double check.

PEG688

Quote from: CREATIVE1 on August 01, 2009, 03:09:13 PM

There is a continuous header/gluelam (16 footer) downstairs at one of the gables, a gluelam over a door opening on another. 

Should be OK, engineered, but NEVER hurts to double check.

So there s GLB in the floor system / on top of the top plate in that left hand gable! That would do it.

What directly under the beam on the left hand end in the photo?

I did see the header on the right hand end , so it's a GLB?

The issue about the engineering is would be sure IF all the components are in you'd be fine , but as your in mid-build maybe everything is not installed yet!  Hopefully your fine , not the best photo's to be judging on.

G/L  PEG

CREATIVE1

I talked to my son, he says there are gluelams and headers in the wing.  Of course, we also have bracing wall panels because we're in an earthquake area.

The lead guy has 15 years of framing experience, and considering the lack of detail on the plans, this was really necessary.  Our contact at the lumberyard where we bought the framing package noticed a lack of detail and pointed out several major problem areas before we started to build. He sent extra lumber so we could work it out.  We ordered more gluelams (spanning the entire 16 feet instead of just the windows on one gable end) and have used most of the extra lumber.

Maybe the reason that I had such difficulties with the contractor drawing my plans (who quit in a huff) is because we were asking questions she couldn't answer.  The stock answers were, that's decided on site, and my crew is obviously incompetent if they're asking these questions.  

My husband's flying home next Saturday, with two cameras with pictures!  I'll post those along with elevations and floor plans at that time.  The windows and construction details were changed in the final plan, to what I always had in mind.  If you know what you want, don't choose an egotistical designer!  

Yonderosa

Quote from: CREATIVE1 on August 02, 2009, 09:14:57 AM
Maybe the reason that I had such difficulties with the contractor drawing my plans (who quit in a huff) is because we were asking questions she couldn't answer.  The stock answers were, that's decided on site, and my crew is obviously incompetent if they're asking these questions.

On site is the last place you want decisions made - the result is usually expensive.  I don't even want the framers to have to do math so I dimension everything.  Sure, some crews view plans more as "suggestions" and there may be a regional method or material that is more common, but blaming others for incomplete work is inexcusable.  It is my belief that the person that can save or cost you the most money on a project is the designer.  A good one will pay for themselves by mitigating errors, reduction of construction time (due to clarity) and efficient use of materials. 
http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

CREATIVE1

I absolutely agree.  Plus, it takes time to figure this stuff out, so it increases build time.

CREATIVE1

A photoshow of our progress through August 4th!  The crew will be flying back in next month to button it up for the winter.  Gizmo the dog knows where the action is.

http://www.photoshow.com/watch/Eu3ZH7RX

Yonderosa

Nice!  I love watching a lumber pile turn into a house.
http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

John Raabe

When you have a long beam end it needs good support that is carried all the way down to the foundation. Especially important when you want a window or other opening in that wall. Then the loads shift to the posts on either side.

This from http://www.countryplans.com/vc.html
None of us are as smart as all of us.

CREATIVE1

So there's a problem here?  The place was engineered, and I think we're following those plans.

Solar Burrito

I passed my your new sign on your driveway/road the other day. Looks good. Is that your driveway off the main road or is that a LCMC road?
Small Shelters, Off Grid Living, and Other Neat Stuff http://solarburrito.com