12 x 16 Practice cabin almost complete

Started by Txcowrancher, April 27, 2008, 01:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txcowrancher

We got the RV moved up to the 23 acres near Greenville TX and have temp power pole working as well. In order to move up there full time to build our 1 1/2 story from the plans we got from John, we had to build a cabin for Renee's pet rabbits (all 6 of them). Actually we are puttng a washer/dryer and full size refrigerator in there with the pets while we build. We built it on skids so when the ground dries we can move it further back off the dirt road.This cabin gave us some practice building and a chance to learn from our mistakes (its a long list). Can't wait to get started on the real house.
Will keep y'all posted
Tom

MountainDon

Nice little cabin Tom. Thanks for posting.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

considerations

Wow, great job!  Makes me want to be a rabbit!  [hungry]  (Maybe)

Dan

Quote from: considerations on April 27, 2008, 01:59:58 PM
Wow, great job!  Makes me want to be a rabbit!  [hungry]  (Maybe)

No kidding, those rabbits got satellite!   [cool]

Nice looking little cabin.

yevgen

Very interesting and good small house!

---------------------------------------------

What it for plywood of grey color which is beaten to a frame? Or something another?

---------------------------------------------

Yours faithfully...

Redoverfarm

Txcowrancher looks like the RITZ for the rabbits.  Good job.  What is the exterior siding? 

Bishopknight

I was thinking of making a 12 x 16 cabin since its under 200 ft and doesn't require a permit here in Maine.

My question is, how long did this take to make?

I'm thinking of going with 10/12 trusses using this free shed plan from popular mechanics
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/home_improvement/1276631.html?page=2

Txcowrancher

The siding is just hardiplank cementboard 4x8 sheets. I would have liked to do OSB then tyvek then siding like a "regular" house but time and money got the better of me. The project has so far taken about 6 weekends with just myself and the wife and about 1/2 the time help from ouy future son-in-law.

yevgen

Quote from: Txcowrancher on April 28, 2008, 05:19:05 PM
The siding is just hardiplank cementboard 4x8 sheets. I would have liked to do OSB then tyvek then siding like a "regular" house but time and money got the better of me. The project has so far taken about 6 weekends with just myself and the wife and about 1/2 the time help from ouy future son-in-law.

If to apply hardiplank cementboard 4x8 sheets then tyvek and vinyl siding are not necessary?

Yours faithfully... ;)

glenn kangiser

Tyvek and a screenwall or felt would still be a good idea, but this was just a low cost shed.  Not a long term house.

Tyvek has had a lot of problems and the screenwall (vertical lath) for drainage such as you did is best with it, yevgen.  Many of us think felt (tar paper)is better as it will not trap water behind it causing mold damage and rot.

Hardi Plank or Hardi board is an exterior siding and is primered.  It just needs a finish coat of paint.  Vinyl is not then required.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.