Our 20 x 34 1-1/2 story cabin in Michigan

Started by mogie01, July 30, 2010, 12:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mogie01

mogie01

My husband Rocky, his friend Rick and our son Billy, despite the horrible weather managed to get a roof on the cabin and weatherproof it.  

astidham

Wow! you are moving along very quickley.
looking very good!
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

mogie01

Thanks astidham.  We know it won't be long before the snow flies so we're trying to get it weather tight before then.  We have our windows ordered and hopefully will have them within the next couple of weeks.  I hope I'm not posting too many pics, if you think I'm over-doing it please let me know, I'm a bit excited as I'm sure you can tell  :)

astidham

"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Tom

mogie01

The latest pics of our cabin.  Hubby and friends have been working hard.

mogie01

More pics to post.  It was a busy weekend for us.  We were able to put house wrap on the cabin, get the electrical panel installed and dig the holes for the front porch posts.

Felix

Oscar

Our son, Billy, putting in hurricane straps

mogie01

Another work filled weekend.  We were able to get all but one of the windows installed.  We had miscounted and ended up one window short (kitchen window).  We've already ordered the missing window and it should be here in a few weeks. 

cabinfever

Wow - you guys are flying! Nice work, and keep the pics coming!

ScottA

nathan.principe

Very impressive! just curious, is there a reason for the 2 diff types of house wrap?

MikeOnBike

Wow that's what I needed!  If I had a forklift I wouldn't have got hurt when the scaffold collapsed.   That must have been very nice for roofing your cabin.

Looks like you have a great place coming together!

mogie01

Nathan we were given the house wrap for free, we didn't have enough of one type to completely wrap the house so we used both

mogie01

Ouch Mike, sorry to hear about your scaffolding accident.  How high up were you?  How are you doing now?    The contractor who cleared our lot and put the well and septic tank in left that lift for us to use.  We'll pay him a rental fee for each day we use it.  He has been great, says it will be on an honor system, when we use it we log the number of days.  It saves us having to go back and forth to an equipment rental place.

MikeOnBike

Quote from: mogie01 on October 22, 2010, 12:07:03 PM
Ouch Mike, sorry to hear about your scaffolding accident.  How high up were you?  How are you doing now?

My brother and I fell about 9ft.  We were just about 10 minutes from finishing the metal on that side of the roof and then taking the scaffold down.  I ended up with a concussion and I'm missing memory of about 6 hours of that day.  My pelvis felt like it was broken for about two weeks but we are both fully recovered now.  Very lucky!

That's great to have access to the lift.  I'm not sure what we are going to do when we start on the 12/12 pitch roof for the main 20x32 cabin.

mogie01

Another weekend spent working on the cabin.  The weather didn't cooperate, it rained the whole time.  We plan on going back up next weekend to finish the porch roof, hopefully the weather will be better.  Nothing worse than working in the pouring rain.  No rest for the wicked.

mogie01

mogie01

We were a bit worried about what we would find up at the cabin after the strong winds that we had during the week, at the least we thought some trees might come down but to our relief everything was just the way we left it.  The weather was great this weekend but it's definitely getting chillier.  We were able to get the porch done and we're really happy with the way it turned out.  Our kitchen window came in so we got that installed too.   :)

nathan.principe

I love the posts and railings! The porch gives a whole new feel and look to your project, good work!

Redoverfarm

mogie01

Thanks guys.  I have a question.  We would like to build a fake chimney on the outside.  We don't know enough about building a block firebox and I'm sure it would cost way too much to have someone build it so we're going fake.  We'll be heating with electric (insert) so it won't be used for burning or venting, do we just frame it and cover it with plywood, tyvek and faux stone?  Anything special we have to do?  I'm sure my hubby has been doing his research but with all the knowledge in here I thought I'd help him along.  ???

I love the look of the chimney AAA-Day built.

Redoverfarm

You would be just one step away from making it work in reality.  Only thing lacking would be insulated flue pipe.  You have got it down as far as the procedures with the exception of the lathe wire and parge.  Not real sure what type of siding you are going to use but the chase can also be covered with the same material.  Using faux stove is rather costly if you don't have a wholesaler.  If you would like I can give you a company that I deal with that will ship. Not real sure of a cost but it would be worth a try to be competitive buying local. But as I said before construct it so that later you can insert double wall pipe if there comes a time that you would have to convert.  Meaning not to build with any cross supports that would obstruct the chase.

mogie01

Thanks Redoverfarm, good idea to keep our options open for future use.  I'll pass it on to the hubby about not having cross supports.  I'm torn about using electric to heat but the hubby doesn't want the hassle of chopping wood, cleaning out the wood stove etc, but I'm thinking maybe eventually he'll change his mind.

Yup I couldn't believe how expensive the faux stone is, I think this will be one of the last things we do, give us some time to save some money for it.  We plan on covering the foundation, up the chimney and also the fireplace inside.  We'll be using log siding, I know we could use that to cover the chimney and it may come down to that but I just love the look of the stone and think it would break up all that wood.
Please send me the info on the company that you deal with, thanks!!

Redoverfarm

Quote from: mogie01 on November 01, 2010, 08:01:45 PM

Please send me the info on the company that you deal with, thanks!!

Check your PM messages for the info that you wanted.