A-Frame Cabin for a first time builder

Started by TeeCee19, May 25, 2010, 06:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeeCee19

I am loving this site. You guys are really getting me excited. I will be a first time builder in the worse way..Meeting with some people in the next few weeks to get my lot cleared. Think I might build a storage shed first to get my feet wet . But here is my question...Just curious. I had originally wanted to build an A Frame cabin. Its for sentimental reasons(grandparents had one on a farm that I lived on during college). I heard its easier to build for a first time builder because basically your[/img][/img][/img] roof and walls are one in the same..I have not noticed any A-Frame plans on this site...Do you have any or know of where I might find some to help decide?
Tee Cee in Texas..
Tee Cee

bayview

Welcome TeeCee19.

Hal Nash had started with an A-Frame. . .    When a little disaster happened, he decided to build a different home.   You may also want to consider a different approach.     

Where are you located in Texas?

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

TeeCee19

I actually look at Hal Nash project EVERYDAY. I've even had email contact with him about two weeks ago!! Great cabin he built. Just not sure what I want still. His A-frame disaster was more of him using rough cut wood to begin with. Its weight and awkwardness as a first time builder help cause the big "crash" ...But, you may be right...I will be building my "cottage"(cabin) in East Texas. Near Nacogdoches. I live in the Dallas area(2.5 to 3 hours away). Are you in Texas?
Tee Cee

davidj

I was very much a first time builder when we started our cabin.  Having got through the framing and sheathing, the hard parts are mostly the roof and the high parts of the balloon-framed wall.  But that's with a 12:12 roof and rafters.  If I was doing something like this again and wanted it easier, I'd have no issue with doing a low pitch gable roof using manufactured trusses.  Certainly that would be less intimidating than an A-frame, which pretty much necessitates big timbers and working on a steep slope a lot of the time.

Redoverfarm

w* TeeCee

To my knowledge I don't think there is plans for an "A" frame design.  There may be some individual projects which others have posted building an A frame.  You might do a search within the forum to see.  Personally I am not a big fan of them myself but that is strickly because of the limited space inside.  To me a 1-1/2 story would be more pleasing.  Good luck on your search and etiher way you decide keep us posted on your progress.

John

bayview

Nacogdoches!   The oldest town in Texas!   Nice place to build!   I also live in the DFW area . . .

TeeCee . . .   You have come to the right place.   This forum is full of information.   And, helpful advice.   These guys (and gals) really got me motivated.   

Good luck on whatever design you may choose.

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Squirl

w*

A frames have positives and negatives.  One of the best positives I can think of is shedding snow.  I don't think you have to worry about the snow load in Texas.  One of the well repeated negatives of some A frame builders and owners on this site has been square footage loss.  You loose a lot of space in each of the corners of the triangle.

There are many people on here that are usually happy to give pointers along the way.

Jeff922

Have you seen this book?

http://www.amazon.com/frame-Chad-Randl/dp/1568984103

I actually read most of it.  I was going to build an A-Frame at one point.  
"They don't grow trees so close together that you can't ski between them"

TeeCee19

Thanks for all the feedback folks. Im still undecided, but, I do see the negatives to the A-Frame house. Just seems a bit less inexpensive and your walls and roof are basically the same. Less to build in a sense as well. As far as the space thing..I LIVED in one for over 3 years in college!! So, for it being a part-time home, I will be just fine with limited space. I want leisure for this home. I will be outside on the deck most of the time or in my gazebo(later construction). Gonna get that book today if I can...thanks
Tee Cee