TJI I joist for a garage door header?

Started by astidham, December 30, 2013, 09:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

astidham

I have some 11 7/8 TJI joist, and was going to use them for headers.
They have a 3" chord.
My garage door opening is 12 foot wide, and there will be a 2nd floor, my original plan was a double 2x12.
Do TJI's make good headers?
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Don_P

Don't do it. They will not be strong enough and have very poor lateral, out of plane strength, a concern with many garage door headers to begin with. I kind of doubt the double 2x12 is sufficient depending on floor and roof arrangement. With a sketch we can probably figure it out.

flyingvan

The other big reason not to do this is, any damage to the bottom chord will make it fail.  Too tall of a load backed into a garage isn't a rare occurence.  Garage fires are pretty frequent, too, due to cars, water heaters and stored flammable liquids---rapid burn through of that same bottom chord will cause a very rapid collapse in a fire.  During smoky fires peole tend to try to exit through whichever entrance they use most frequently, which is often the garage.  Having a good solid header will help provide a reliable means of egress in the event of a fire.
Find what you love and let it kill you.

astidham

Thanks Don and flyingvan...
I talked to my engineer also, and ordered 3 14 foot long 11 7/8 lvl's, and was told to put them ona 2x6 wall.
He basically said the same thing you said Don....not strong enough or made for that application.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

rick91351

That is a lot better choice of materials but more $$$ but a lot more stable. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.