20x30 1.5 Story in Flagstaff AZ

Started by Matthewpeace, August 04, 2014, 12:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthewpeace

Winter will be here mid November and all I care about is the siding before that.  I work a full time day job so it's nights and weekends for the build.  I put in every daylight hour when I am not at work.

rick91351

So pretty much there when not at work....  Know the feeling.  We did that on a couple remodels.  The current build is after I had retired and it seems 24 X 7 we are there.  Don't know how to act after it finals.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Matthewpeace

That's exactly it.  I still have energy now but it's been a long couple of weeks.  Well worth it though.  I will take a day off once the siding is on and then start the interior which I am looking forward to.  There is something to be said about working alone with a blank canvas.

kenhill

Matthewpeace

Spiral stairs have to have 26" treads requiring a 5'2" opening.  I only have 50" between beams unfortunately.

Matthewpeace

They wont because I have 6x12 beams that do not have enough clearance to fit the spiral between.  I have an idea that I am going to talk to the county about that might work

Matthewpeace

While I was working this week I had the water and sewer lines connected to the street.  I lost my entire yard and driveway in the process which made it fun on Saturday jumping over trenches to work on the siding.

Matthewpeace

Over the weekend I was able to get the siding started as well as the front door installed.  I am hoping this weekend to finish at least the 2 sides I started.  I am waiting for the electric panel to be installed on Monday before I can start the other side.

bannerstien

You may have thought of this already, but how about moving the door over and then making a space under the stairs for the fridge?

Matthewpeace

That is something that I have thought about and it might be what happens.  As soon as the siding is done I am going to focus on the stairs.  The fridge would fit under the stairs with a little re design.

Matthewpeace

Matthewpeace

Siding is all complete and the shingles are delivered ready to go on this week.  I have also had the water and sewer connected to the street ready for some final grading out front.  The electric panel has also been installed and the house gets wired up in a week or so.

Matthewpeace

Tried a series of winders and just couldn't make it work.  Moving the hallway over would take out too much kitchen and make for an awkward hallway.

What it looks like I will have to do is cut the beam back 36" (Against my wishes) where the stairs will need to come through to make them work and post down from the new beam end to the floor.

dablack

Is the floor thick enough to handle the post?  I would make that post as big as possible so the surface area is large as possible.  Spread that load OUT!

Matthewpeace

No the floor is only 4" thick.  I have to cut a nice perfect square twice the size of the post and dig out 24" of dirt and fill with concrete.  New footing for it.

Matthewpeace

I just went to the county his morning and it looks like I have to cut a 20" x 20" hole and fill it 12" deep for the new post footing. It should be fairly simple

UK4X4

Are just ending that central beam to a post ?

You could probably add, or reuse the piece to go from the beam above the wall, to the next beam -with the cut beam T'd to the new piece

Matthewpeace

Yes the beam will now end at the post 36" from the wall.  There will be a 4x12" header from the post end to the next beam for lateral support as well as a 4x 12 header at the top of the stairs from the beam to the bearing wall.  I'm not quite sure I follow what you were saying about using the cut piece?

Matthewpeace

This is the new post footing.  20"x20"x12".  I am having a custom post base made this week to set in the new footing

Matthewpeace

We got the driveway widened and the final grade is done

Matthewpeace

The shingles are on and I get to start the interior work.  Starting with the second floor 2x6" T&G

I was able to get a good amount of decking installed upstairs today.  I am modifying the plans to include another bedroom and bathroom upstairs on the back of the house

Matthewpeace

Rys

Does your house have a full floor instead of a loft?

Matthewpeace

Yes it has a full floor upstairs. The only opening is for the stairs