Finally bought some land...

Started by Adam Roby, April 08, 2015, 02:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Roby

Survey is done, all the paperwork is in order.  We are meeting on Friday to finalize the contract and register the land in my name.
At the same time, I picked up this little gem to help me gain access to the lot.

I was supposed to go tomorrow to do the land transfer, but turns out the dealer did not yet receive the registration papers for the truck.  I am not allowed to cross the border with the transit sticker in the window... ugh... Murphy's Law.

Adam Roby

Closing is done, I finally own my land outright!  7.5 acres of pure Adam Land!  :)

I'll admit, the land looks pretty baron at the moment (trees are already growing back and almost 3' high), but I can see a lot of potential.  Buying a wheeled trimmer tomorrow from a liquidator, $160 cash, new they are $269 + tax. 

This is looking from the dirt road across the lot.   The tree line in the distance is the end of my lot.

And this is the back of the lot looking forward, my Jeep is probably the mid point... actually a bit less than the midpoint.

Can't wait to start clearing a small parking spot and figure out the topography.  :)

Adam Roby

I am looking locally for a working small chainsaw just to help remove some stumps so I can drive the truck onto the land (beginnings of a driveway).

I found a Poulan 14", guy is asking $110 and I offered $80, still waiting a reply but he is very close by.
There is also a HomeLite 14", he was asking $80 and I talked him down to $60 but it's 1.5 hours to and back...
Finally a Pioneer (no details but looks like 14") asking only $45.

Are any of these an amazing brand or a brand to stay away from?
I was thinking of calling in sick and going up to the land tomorrow so if any of them call me back tonight and are willing to meet that will probably make my decision, but if not I welcome any feedback on which I should consider.

An obvious requirement is that it starts immediately, and I can cut a log in two without any bogging or hesitation.
I will bring a few logs with me to test with... neighbors might get upset but it'll just be a minute or two so...

new land owner

I think I would put a couple more dollars together and head the Lowe's and buy a brand new saw.  That way you do not have to worry about how th e saw was used in it's former life. A new saw can be bought for under $150.00

Adam Roby

To add a little context, I am on the Canada side so its very hard to find anything under $175.  I also have a lot that has just been completely deforested, so I technically don't have any trees to cut for a while.  I need something to just remove a few stumps left behind to gain access to the land.  I figured the cheapest I can go now, and in 5 years when I hopefully have a few trees then I can look at buying a new tool.  Figure even a top of the line chainsaw if it sits for 5 years will be difficult to start. 

MountainDon

FWIW, if you go to look at one tell the person you're coming and want to see it "cold"; not recently run.  Then go thru the startup drill... x number of pushes of the primer, choke, etc. If it then takes more than 3 good pulls to start or at least burp, I'd say No Thanks. If it burps then take the choke off and it should start and run with 1 or 2 more pulls. Warm it up. (Take ear muffs). It should rev freely with no hesitation when the throttle is quickly pulled. Take a chunk of log if you can and see if it bogs when you try to cut. Shut off, Leave sit a couple of minutes. It should restart easily.

Is the chain sharp.... did it cut that log ok?  Check the prices on new chauins where you are. A new saw comes with a new sharp chain.

Quoteeven a top of the line chainsaw if it sits for 5 years will be difficult to start

The key to having a saw sit for a period and then being easy to start centers around fuel. I drain the fuel and run it dry when I am not certain when I'll be next using it. Since I started doing that many many years ago I have never been confronted with a saw that would not start. Before I was careful about that the saw was in the shop once a year.

Using "designer" fuel also helps. That's the stuff you buy in one quart (litre) cans that is premixed. Expensive, but has no alcohol, is higher octane (saw runs a little cooler). Lowes, HD and other places sell it.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

kenhill

Adam Roby

Quote from: MountainDon on August 24, 2015, 08:08:28 PM
FWIW, if you go to look at one tell the person you're coming and want to see it "cold"; not recently run.  Then go thru the startup drill... x number of pushes of the primer, choke, etc. If it then takes more than 3 good pulls to start or at least burp, I'd say No Thanks. If it burps then take the choke off and it should start and run with 1 or 2 more pulls. Warm it up. (Take ear muffs). It should rev freely with no hesitation when the throttle is quickly pulled. Take a chunk of log if you can and see if it bogs when you try to cut. Shut off, Leave sit a couple of minutes. It should restart easily...
... Using "designer" fuel also helps. That's the stuff you buy in one quart (litre) cans that is premixed. Expensive, but has no alcohol, is higher octane (saw runs a little cooler). Lowes, HD and other places sell it.

Good points... will keep that in mind when I start looking in person.
I was planning on using 0 ethanol fuel and letting it run dry, but the premixed stuff might not be a bad idea since I have so little to cut I will definitely have enough with just one can of that stuff.

The stump grinder I think would be overkill.  There are some larger stumps that I will simply avoid, the ones I need to cut are maybe 4" in diameter.  I will just cut them flat (or dig just a bit around), I just need to be able to drive over them without snagging my undercarriage.  They can then rot and do whatever they want to without bothering me..

kenhill

If they are that small, consider putting a tow strap around them and pull with your vehicle.  Then an ax or sawzall to cut roots.

Adam Roby

Hmmm... that might work as well, hadn't thought of that.  Most are pretty small, 3-4 inches or so... then every now and then there is a huge (relatively huge) 2-3' diameter stump.  Those I will snake around if possible... also a few massive stones that even a bulldozer might find challenging.  I like a twisty road/driveway though, give it character as long as I can still tow in a large trailer its all good.

Adam Roby

My buddy picked up a chainsaw from a guy selling it close to his house (would have been 1.5 hour drive for me there and back).
He got it last night and said it ran great, but didn't know if maybe the guy had warmed it up before he got there.
Got home from work with it tonight, figure it has been sitting for 24 hours.
Followed the instructions on the thing, 7 pumps, choke on, pull max 3 times, choke off, pull max 5 times.

I pumped 7 times, choke on, cranked once and it started, ran for a second then died.  Turned the choke off, pulled 2 more times then ran like a dream.  Actually, it was running fast and I gave it a bit of gas then it died back down... not sure if too much gas, or my foot was on the switch... first time in my life I ever start one.  Seems to be running right though.  It also looks brand spanking new, the only sign it was ever used is the paint missing from the bar.

It is not an expensive brand, HomeLite 14", 35cc... if bought new locally it sells for $174 + (Quebec sales tax) = $200.00.
I bought it for $60. Just ordered some sharpening tools (guides to sharped and for the depth gauge).  Going to do a thorough cleaning this weekend (make sure the air/oil filters are cleaned or replaced, check the chain tension, replace the chain oil and gas that is in it, etc.).  Just want to make sure it stays in good shape for years to come.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

kenhill

Make sure you get some traiing or read up on chain saw safety.  They can do a lot of work and you want to handle it properly for your own safety.

Adam Roby

Hmmm... oil and sawdust, makes for quite a mess... who would have thunk it.  ;)
While trying to figure out the chain tensioner the bar and chain fell off... so I took the liberty to dismantle and remove as much guck as possible.  The thing must weight 3 lbs less than it did before.  Strange why they design them with so many little nooks and crannies considering the amount of oil and dust everywhere... just turns to cake and gets stuck everywhere.

Been watching a ton of videos from safety to maintenance, chain sharpening to felling trees.  I am feeling a bit more confident, but will definitely be on guard the first time I use it. 

db4570

Hi Adam. Congratulations on your land.

We own a big chunk of land way up in Northern NY, and I wonder if we are anywhere near you. It's a big region. We are east of Watertown. It sounds like you might be farther north and west.

I haven't been up there in months, but have done a lot of work on the place, and maybe could give you names of reliable contractors, etc.

Good luck!

David

rick91351

Quote from: Adam Roby on August 29, 2015, 04:33:13 PM
Hmmm... oil and sawdust, makes for quite a mess... who would have thunk it.  ;)
While trying to figure out the chain tensioner the bar and chain fell off... so I took the liberty to dismantle and remove as much guck as possible.  The thing must weight 3 lbs less than it did before.  Strange why they design them with so many little nooks and crannies considering the amount of oil and dust everywhere... just turns to cake and gets stuck everywhere.

Been watching a ton of videos from safety to maintenance, chain sharpening to felling trees.  I am feeling a bit more confident, but will definitely be on guard the first time I use it.

A newbe with a chain saw never bothers me as much as someone that has 'matured.' Then after that you move in to a phase where you know not put the tip bar just by instinct.  Then it is almost second nature when you are bucking logs and you look at limbs and pretty well know what is going to happen when you saw through one.  Your saw will run a lot cooler now that you cleaned it up.  My buddy that was a logger you go into his shop and he has two of those monster Stihl saws sitting under a bench and they are spotless inside and out....  Stay safe!     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Adam Roby

Quote from: db4570 on August 29, 2015, 10:46:46 PM
...I wonder if we are anywhere near you...

Hi David, it seems we are a little under 3 hours drive north-east of Watertown.  The closest town is Churubusco NY.

Quote from: rick91351 on August 29, 2015, 11:44:56 PM
A newbe with a chain saw never bothers me as much as someone that has 'matured.'     

I worked as a software developer for a large flight simulation company in Montreal Canada for 5 years.  As part of the work I had to take the ground flight school to learn as much as possible about avionics and such.  The instructor explained how experience sometimes makes people cocky and more dangerous because they stop paying attention to things and get too comfortable.  I believe there were intervals, like at 100 hours flight time, 1000 hours flight time, 10'000 hours flight time...  so even commercial pilots with decades of experience fall into the same bad habit.  Normally a small scare or mistake will kind of wake them up and they will start thinking like a newbie again.

Not sure if this is what you meant by 'matured' but I imagine my anecdote has some similarities to using tools.  You can never be too confident, but you can never be too safe...  I will be taking my time my first few times out for sure.   

Adam Roby

She's all cleaned up, spark plug looked nice so I just buffed it a bit.  Air filter was still pretty clean so I washed and dried it.  Fuel filter looked fine...  all that's left is to sharped the chain and I expect the files and guides to come in sometime this week.

new land owner

MountainDon

Looks new!  I think you caught a deal on that one.

rick91351

Your interpretation of 'mature' is pretty well spot on.  Wink!
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Adam Roby

Spent 4 hours in the bush this morning trying out my "new to me" saw.
She works great, but after a tank and a half of gas it started to have a hard time cutting, especially the hard red wood.  Making a driveway by hand is hard work... must be at 20 man hours now and have barely made a dent... maybe 80' clean, another 20' partially clean... and still 150' to go beyond that. 

All in all, much more fun being in the woods than at a desk at work!
Now back to the workshop to once again clean and sharpen the chainsaw for next week.

Adam Roby

Heading up this weekend to mark off the land.
Already have the 3 corners laid out, but with 7 1/2 acres it's hard to visualize the boundaries.
Cut a bunch of 1x2's to 4' with a tip...

And I made this doohickey that slides over the flat end to help keep it from splitting when I hammer it into the ground.

Plan is to run a 500' string from one corner to the other, then every 40' or so plant one of these pegs.
Also want to lay out the road to make it easier to see ahead... and if there's enough left over then to outline where I want my pond.
Plan on painting the tips with the orange marker paint to see if from a distance.

Next step is to start planting trees alone that same line.  I want to define the boundaries, and slowly let the forest build back up inwards.
Can't wait to get up there... haven't been since the fall and I've been itching.
Tomorrow I see if the old chainsaw still starts up, then pack up the truck for Sunday morning. 
WooHoo!

ajbremer

Hi Adam, you land is awesome!

Glad you got a chain saw, I'll be getting a new one real soon. My old one is an Efco (not Echo) and it needs a tune-up.
I plan on getting a Stihl 251 very soon, I heard they are really good.
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

Adam Roby

Quote from: ajbremer on April 17, 2016, 06:20:06 AM
Hi Adam, you land is awesome!

Thanks!  It a work in progress, but I get so little time to actually go and work that it will take me a decade to get things done.

Chainsaw started right up... ethanol free fuel and stabilizer saved the day once again!
Off to the land now, will post some pics later on.