Ground wire?

Started by 325ABN, June 15, 2011, 07:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

325ABN

My meter along with two outlets are on a pole at the bottom of my drive way about a 220 Ft run up to the house. I have used these outlets for power during the construction now I am running the permanant power. There are two ground rods at the meter location. I ran 4/0, 4/0, 2/0 up to the breaker box inside the house.

My question is do I need to run a 220Ft ground wire from the in-house breaker box to the ground rods down at the meter location OR can I drive two more rods up at the house and connect the breaker box to these? ??? ???

rdzone

I am no electrician but I am in a similar situation.  I asked at the electrical supply and they told me it could be done either way, but I would like to hear from some of the more electrically savy people on the board myself.
Chuck

metolent

That's exactly what I did and I just recently passed my feeder inspection.

I ran a ground from the main 200 AMP panel/meter combo box (where I have 2 ground rods) that connects to the 200 AMP panel in the house (which is technically a sub-panel), where there are another two ground rods.   It's all connected. 

Just give the inspector a quick call....

anexkahn

The new panel should have its own ground rod, and neutral should be bonded to ground at the new panel.  For sub panels within the same structure or structures electrically connected (common water pipes, guters, etc) the ground wire should be extended from the original panel and the neutral and grounds in the second panel should remain isolated so there is only one nuetral/ground bond for each structure, and that is in the primary panel.

glenn kangiser

Sounds like you know what you are talking about, anexkahn.  w* to the forum.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

325ABN

Thanks  all for the input! I will save over $100 by putting new/different ground rods up by the house as oposed to running the ground wire all the way down to the meter location.

I do not need to have any of it inspected by the state and/or town. Anything after the meter is on me, that being said I do want it done correctly. ;D