Window Question

Started by williet, August 23, 2006, 04:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

williet

Can a solid wood window be found anymore? No plastic clad or anyother wonderful covering .... just a plain wooden window with six or nine panes in the top and bottom.

Sassy

don't know about new, but we were given several "old" ones...  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Mark_Chenail

Im sure someone must still make them but I bet they arent cheap.  Like Sassy I buy mine at salvage houses, either just the sash or complete windows with sash and frame.  They usually need some work  but they arent expensive.   You can still buy 6 pane barn sash but they only have single glazing and very limited sizes.
Good luck.
mark chenail

PEG688

A few companys here in Washington make all Fir windows , I', pretty sure you need to work for micro soft to be able to buy them  :o :o

All old sash will not be code compliant.

Goggle wood windows washington sate .  
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

williet

Thanks all ...

we're not worried about "code". Wooden windows have been around far longer than the folks who use "code" to feed city and county coffers.

I hate to build a cottage with "rustic" siding and put plastic windows in it.

williet

If anyone else is interested .... M&W and Eagle both have wooden windows that can be painted or stained for the rustic cabin.

peg_688

QuoteThanks all ...

we're not worried about "code". Wooden windows have been around far longer than the folks who use "code" to feed city and county coffers.

You should make it clear that no code is required to be met , makes a big difference in what your options are . Keeping every poster's project requirements in line is impossible , maybe Glenn can do it  :-/, but I can't  :(so I think "code first" if a question is asked that clearly would involve a code issue . Glass/ insulation / etc requirements.

Building salavage yards would have windows like your after, better wood , more eclectic looking etc , check nearest major city for salvage yards / recycled building products online or yellow pages / chamber of commerece for a start.  

G/L PEG    

glenn-k

I can't even keep my own head on straight, PEG. :)

benevolance

Estate sales and yard sales are where I picked up the truckload of wooden windows I have in the backyard... closed in one side of my 2 bay carport and it looks great...Ivy is growing around the edges... the wood is stained..I scraped and cleaned them up a little...The old time glass look makes the carport seem like some old archaic green house...Maybe someday I will get the piles of car parts out of there and my wife will love me again....

williet

QuoteThanks all ...

You should make it clear that no code is required to be met , makes a big difference in what your options are . Keeping every poster's project requirements in line is impossible , maybe Glenn can do it  :-/, but I can't  :(so I think "code first" if a question is asked that clearly would involve a code issue . Glass/ insulation / etc requirements.

Building salavage yards would have windows like your after, better wood , more eclectic looking etc , check nearest major city for salvage yards / recycled building products online or yellow pages / chamber of commerece for a start.  

G/L PEG    

Sorry ... I read all the post so much that I wasn't thinking about this specific thread and just thought everyone knew our situation. My bad .... I live in a Historic District now and I'm just about fed up with CODE ...  ;D

Thanks to all who reply with assistance. This forum is a wonderful tool and we appreciate being able to learn from it.  

I have found a manufacturer of the windows that we were looking for and they are carried and serviced by a firm that's local to our building area.

ShawnaJ

Pozzi factory used to be in Bend, Oregon, don't know if they have moved but they made lovely wood frame windows.

Saw a couple of Anderson all wood windows at the Habitat Restore a few weeks back, brand new, still in crates, $200.00 EACH

jraabe

Here is a pretty good list of wood window manufacturers - it probably doesn't cover everyone.

http://www.4specs.com/s/08/08-5200.html
Here is more information on certification and Mfgrs with tested windows - http://www.nfrc.org/memberlist.aspx

Be advised that there is no reason that an all wood window would not meet your local codes. Window requirements have to do with glass u-value, frame u-value (the two of these often being combined into a composite) and airtightness. If your code requires that all windows be certified (many inspectors do not require this and allow site built and older windows if they are well made) then that might make it harder for smaller local manufacturers to compete with the national companies as certification costs $$$.

Wood is a much better insulator than most of the alternative frame materials. And it is not a tough job to evaluate a wood window to see if the thing is well weatherstripped, how thick the glass is (5/8 is better than thinner) and what type of coating or gas is used in the glazing (usually coded on the interior spacer bar).

I used a local manufacturer of straight grain fir wood windows when I built my place. With low-E glazing they have worked great for over 20 years (painted the frames twice - needs it again). They were moderate priced "Window Visions" brand. No longer made  :-[ (bought by Lindal Cedar Homes for in-house window manufacture)

peg_688

They were moderate priced "Window Visions" brand. No longer made  :-[ (bought by Lindal Cedar Homes for in-house window manufacture)

Lindal's very proud of thier windows , these little ones where both over $250.00 each IIRC, well the one that fit into this hole , About 38" x 24" thermal w/ screen slider.

They are nice windows , nice VG Fir frames , they come with no sill exterior and no interior frame , you'll need to build your own surround . Just like with a vinyl window.

Spendy windows , IMO not worth the added cost.  More than willing to put them in for folks who want them , adds $$ to O&P ;)

jwv

Hey Williet, you know the rules!  [smiley=angry.gif] This advice doesn't come free you know!! We want pictures when this cabin is up and going!

Judy

williet

QuoteHey Williet, you know the rules!  [smiley=angry.gif] This advice doesn't come free you know!! We want pictures when this cabin is up and going!

Judy
We are excited about posting pictures when we get started. At this rate ...maybe....we will be able to start building sometime around March.  :'(

I'm sure I'll post several pictures along with several questions ;)

CREATIVE1

Agree about "plastic windows."  I'll probably go with them with beige colored vinyl, not white, but still hope to find affordable alternatives that will meet code. (I can get new vinyl windows, any size, matching, for half price through an outlet in Washington)

What is it with vinyl?  Everyone seems to LOVE it for siding, fascias, windows, everything.  When they say "vinyl is final", though, it doesn't mean what they think.

CREATIVE1

QuotePozzi factory used to be in Bend, Oregon, don't know if they have moved but they made lovely wood frame windows.

Saw a couple of Anderson all wood windows at the Habitat Restore a few weeks back, brand new, still in crates, $200.00 EACH

Pozzi is part of Jeld-wen now.

davestreck

Try the following:

http://www.hoffmeyersmill.on.ca/web/hoffmeyers.htm

http://www.westonmillwork.com/

http://www.oldfashionedwindows.com/index.html

http://www.smithrestorationsash.com/

http://www.jimillingworthmillwork.com/index.htm

I've done business with both Hoffmeyers (great when the exchange rate was in our favor) and Jim Illingworth. Both were top-notch to deal with. Jim even decided to personally deliver our load of wood storm windows from his shop in NY all the way to my house on the Cape cause he was afraid they might get damaged in shipping!

Hope this helps.

Cheers...

Dave