??'s on t-111

Started by Rob, October 13, 2005, 06:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

I am planning on using T-111 on my 16x20 cabin on the exterior.  I have some questions I hope someone can help me with.  Is there an exterior/ interior grade?  What type of nails should be used from a cosmetic standpoint?  

I plan to caulk the vertical joints.  
what is the proper way to seal the horizontal joints?  Any advice or help in this matter would be appreciated.

John Raabe

T1-11 sidings are all rated for exterior application. The term is generic for textured grooved plywood. There are many different brands of plywood single wall siding and the installation details vary somewhat by which product you buy. Avoid siding panels made from press-wood products such as OSB, especially in damp climates.

Here is a link from the Georgia Pacific site with information on their product (303 siding):

http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx?pname=Plywood+Exterior+Siding&pid=1397&hierarchy=pc

Generally you install the panels with the tall (8' or 9' height) vertically. Many products have a T&G overlap to keep the weather out of this vertical joint and allow for expansion and contraction. Metal "z" flashing is installed between panels at the horizontal butt joints. Plan for this joint to fall over solid backing so it can be well supported and nailed to framing (your single wall siding is also your structural sheathing).

Get the installation guide provided by the manufacturer and follow the guidelines for window and doors particularly. Flashing and caulking here is your only line of defense and this is where single wall siding jobs usually have problems over time.

Also do a careful job of staining or priming all joints and edges (remember to do the ones you cut) before installation. This will make the job last and look good far longer.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Kevin

you can also use a drip edge when you stack one on top of another. it works well and keeps water from getting behind the wall.
Kevin

John_M

When using single wall siding like T-111, how do you install new construction windows.  Do the fins get nailed to the T-111 and then just covered with a piece of wood trim?

I just ask this because I have installed some windows in some small additions and the fins get nailed to the sheathing and then siding goes over that and that covers them.  Just curious?
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

John Raabe

I think if I were doing a T1-11 single wall house I would block out around the windows to make sure there was a nailing backer for all the flanges. Then I would cover the studs with a drainage plane housewrap (Tyvek, R-wrap or heavy felt).

I would install windows and doors with head flashing that tucks under the housewrap and out over the frames. These would go in before the siding/sheathing so walls would likely need to be kept square on the inside with temporary bracing.

I would try to build the wall so that water is not trapped behind the siding but can drain out. I would not rely on caulking to keep water out of the wall.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Kevin

On my cabin I just nailed the windows to the siding but before i nailed it I put a good bead of caulk around the flange then nailed it using all the nail spaces then i put a light seal of caulk at the top of the window for extra measure. Later I plan on following up with 1x4 trim around the window.Just haven't had the time for that yet.
Kevin