Shearwall Calculator and Studwall Calculator

Started by Medeek, February 07, 2015, 04:14:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

I've been slowly developing some more in depth structural tools which may be getting slightly above the layman but I would be more than happy to explain some of the finer points on how to utilize these tools for those that are interested.

I've been posting the new calculators at this link:

http://design.medeek.com/resources/resources.html

Both the shearwall and studwall calculator are Excel spreadsheets which differ slightly from most of my tools which are in an online format.  Both calculator require inputs from wind and/or seismic data to properly check the capacities of the sheathing and members.  As such they may be a bit more involved than the average DIY homeowner is wanting to become involved with.  However, I think it can be educational in exhibiting the various checks that go into engineering a studwall or shearwall for many residential structures.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.
Designer, Programmer and Engineer

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Medeek

Don_P

[cool], BTW your beam calc got kudos here this past week on another thread.

I was trying to check the stud bay of wall under a ridgebeam a moment ago using the studwall xls. There is a built up 3 ply post of dimensional lumber under the significant axial load. I was hoping to check combined loading with wind on the wall as well but could not alter the stud thickness to check that bay of the wall. Since it was a 3 stud post I used 1/3 of the axial load and full wind, attempting to check each stud. I'm not sure if that was an applicable use.

Medeek

I've had my C&C wind calculator for a few months now but it needed some cleaning up before I could post it.

http://design.medeek.com/resources/wind/WIND_ANALYTIC_CC.pdf

http://design.medeek.com/resources/wind/WIND_ANALYTIC_CC.xls

This one is still very much a work in progress. I still need to add the domed, stepped, multi-span and sawtooth roofs as well as data for Fig. 30.4-2A and Fig. 30.4-5B.

I then need to add the open building roof types Fig. 30.8-1 thru 30.8-3.

Currently data and calculations are available for the following figures in ASCE 7-10:

Fig. 30.4-1
Fig. 30.4-2B
Fig. 30.4-2C
Fig. 30.4-5A

which should encompass the majority of residential roof types.

Medeek

Quote from: Don_P on February 08, 2015, 07:25:17 PM
[cool], BTW your beam calc got kudos here this past week on another thread.

I was trying to check the stud bay of wall under a ridgebeam a moment ago using the studwall xls. There is a built up 3 ply post of dimensional lumber under the significant axial load. I was hoping to check combined loading with wind on the wall as well but could not alter the stud thickness to check that bay of the wall. Since it was a 3 stud post I used 1/3 of the axial load and full wind, attempting to check each stud. I'm not sure if that was an applicable use.

That would probably get you pretty close but the fact that they are laminated together changes things slightly.  For this you need a column/post calculator with biaxial loading.  I have a post calculator that I put into a spreadsheet but its not quite ready for prime time, I'll work on this one.  A really nice, user friendly post calculator is what I'm missing from the site.  I like my spreadsheets but I like my online calculators more, since they don't hide the math from me and its good to keep that stuff fresh in one's head.

Medeek

Added some additional calculators for residential design.  I will also be working on a deck calculator for vertical and lateral design.

http://design.medeek.com/resources/resources.html