Author Topic: OKLAHOMA 20X30 SINGLE STORY  (Read 233841 times)

Offline Don_P

• Journeyman
Re: OKLAHOMA 20X30 SINGLE STORY
« Reply #650 on: March 17, 2017, 06:32:16 AM »
I'll take the camera down in a little bit. we're in 6a, it was about 23 last night so we are running a double layer of row cover inside the house to keep the daily ground warmth close to the plants. As soon as the sun breaks out of the morning cover and hits I'll uncover and then begin venting the house when it is about 40 outside, it'll get up into the 70's pretty quick, well above that if unvented, calm and bright... the spinach began bolting because we let it get too warm during one of those daytime warm spells. We've also been harvesting winter pea shoots from the cover crop in the garden, taste like peas, just an unexpected bonus from a cover crop.

Offline astidham

• Skiatook Oklahoma
« Reply #651 on: March 17, 2017, 06:47:26 AM »
This next winter I'm going to use row cover to keep moisture off the tomatoes. . I'm also going to  change the roof film to a inflated IR film to stop the raining inside..
Your tunnel gets quite warm. There is a guy from the Sam Nobel foundation named Steve Upson who is a high tunnel expert, who has wrote quite a bit on tunnel greenhouses, I stay in contact with him, he has talked to me about building one.. I need one to keep insects at bay.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
Henry Ford

Offline Don_P

• Journeyman
« Reply #652 on: March 17, 2017, 05:33:29 PM »
Whoops, the day got away, plugged in the camera and it took longer to cruise and mark a neighbors timber than I thought. I'll get a pic up soon. Ours is one of the NRCS tunnels, worth applying for if you can. Actually the insect thing can go both ways. Aphids have found one row that is going to get pulled, drip tube set into the aisle and the soil flamed with a quick pass with the weed burner to try to get on top of them before they get out of hand. So, they are able to overwinter in there. The season extension makes these well worthwhile though. For tomatoes here, we have late blight problems many years. By being ahead of the season and then closing the tunnel at night and keeping the dew off, the spores of course land everywhere, but it is hard for them to do as much as fast without water on the plant. Out in the field you can see them turn to mush in a day or so. Ours were planted a couple of weeks ago and are under lights here in the house as are peppers, more greens, well I think there's 24 flats of stuff down there now getting ready for spring.

Offline astidham

• Skiatook Oklahoma
« Reply #653 on: March 17, 2017, 06:54:29 PM »
Thanks Don, I look forward to seeing it.
The raining on mine inside when the outside was below freezing left black spots on some of the leaves, so I cut those branches off, and the plants continued to grow pretty well. I did notice when I had several buckets of water inside that the morning temperature was a bit warmer than without them. I had a 2ater snake living in the this winter also.
Henry Ford

Offline Don_P

• Journeyman
« Reply #654 on: March 20, 2017, 07:26:53 PM »
This was taken this morning, we were mid 20's last night but didn't need to cover. The hoops over the beds are just 1" poly water line and then the white in the aisles is a double layer of remay for cold nites. We've... ummm She's been harvesting so it looks pretty beaver chewed but they do produce. We hit the mid 60's today and I opened everything for several hours. Yes, arches thrust, look at that right wall, I've got work to do.

I've been helping a friend up the road, they are having their 1820's log barn repaired. Look at what is under the side shed. His mother knew the local man that made it back in the day, she is close to 90 and still drives everywhere, she is also quite a historian, we got to talking about a couple of old local water powered mills and she remembered quite a few details about them.

I'll restore it whenever we get the roof off and can sling it out of there with the skytrak.

Offline astidham

• Skiatook Oklahoma
« Reply #655 on: March 21, 2017, 11:10:36 AM »
Looks to be a really big greenhouse.  I like it. All the plants look really happy.

I hope when your restoration project starts you will post pictures. It's rare that you get the history behind items locally made.
Henry Ford

Offline astidham

• Skiatook Oklahoma
« Reply #656 on: March 23, 2017, 11:02:09 AM »
Here is a YouTube video I made on compostable seed pots.
Made from newspaper
Henry Ford

Offline Rys

• Welcome to the CP-Forum
« Reply #657 on: March 23, 2017, 01:52:43 PM »
 [cool]

What a neat idea!