Author Topic: Plans Change, and now I'm starting with a 12 X 12  (Read 113692 times)

Offline JavaMan

• Rock Of Ages Ranch - Somewhere in the Okanogan
    • The Lodge at Rock Of Ages Ranch
Re: Plans Change, and now I'm starting with a 12 X 12
« Reply #425 on: March 19, 2017, 09:42:46 AM »
Do you know any of your neighbors?  Might be able to check road conditions with them.

I just get good chains and 4 wheel in ;)

Nearest neighbor I had was 3/4 mile south - wasn't there 100% of the year, and his place burned down in the fire 2 summers ago.  Beyond that is the old guy at the end of the county maintained part and I hardly ever see him out anymore.  And then there are the folks that were on the news.

Mainly I'm concerned about the part beyond the lake that goes up into the hills.  It can be deeper than the axles on my 4 X 4 even in late April/early May... One of the projects I am going to need to pull off the back burner is a web cam of the road through my place that I can pull images from so I can watch the conditions of the road.

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #426 on: March 19, 2017, 11:06:09 AM »
Ahhh yes, if no one travels it then it can be a problem.

Offline JavaMan

« Reply #427 on: May 15, 2017, 10:57:28 AM »
So, I am attempting to get things lined up for the build project and I need to rent a quad/ATV/4 wheeler or something that is a bit more nimble than my F150 to haul bags of concrete, water barrels, mixer and genset up the hill to the building site.  I thought I had a solution last year, when the rental place down in the town near me showed an ATV/SxS on it's website for rent.

Sadly, today I called them and they stopped renting them because the insurance on them is too high.

Now I'm stuck trying to figure something out.  I may have to rent a tractor with a bucket from them to achieve the same thing ... which in itself wouldn't be terrible, it is just a change in plans that I had not expected.  And I think they may decide that they need to deliver it (which is an additional charge) rather than let me pick it up (which I could easily do with the SxS).

Well, now I need to find a solution to this issue.

Offline jsahara24

• Apprentice
  • Welcome to the CP-Forum
« Reply #428 on: May 15, 2017, 11:52:51 AM »
So, I am attempting to get things lined up for the build project and I need to rent a quad/ATV/4 wheeler or something that is a bit more nimble than my F150 to haul bags of concrete, water barrels, mixer and genset up the hill to the building site.  I thought I had a solution last year, when the rental place down in the town near me showed an ATV/SxS on it's website for rent.

Sadly, today I called them and they stopped renting them because the insurance on them is too high.

Now I'm stuck trying to figure something out.  I may have to rent a tractor with a bucket from them to achieve the same thing ... which in itself wouldn't be terrible, it is just a change in plans that I had not expected.  And I think they may decide that they need to deliver it (which is an additional charge) rather than let me pick it up (which I could easily do with the SxS).

Well, now I need to find a solution to this issue.

Can you rent a jeep wrangler or similar for a day?   

Offline JavaMan

« Reply #429 on: May 15, 2017, 12:38:36 PM »
I have a 4x4 F150, but it's isn't a nimble as an ATV for getting around the curves in the "driveway" up to the site, nor coming back down.

Of course, I haven't been there yet this year, and I may find that my memory is flawed and it may be just fine.  I remember going up wasn't too bad, it was coming down that I had a a few white knuckles   :o  Who knows, Maybe it is simply because it was the first time?

But now that I think about it, a wrangle is a lot shorter wheelbase than the truck, right?  That might be an answer.  I will have to check it out (both rental and road) when I'm there next.

Thanks for the idea!

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #430 on: May 16, 2017, 07:12:54 AM »
Cheaper to buy an old used quad and trailer.  I bought a Yamaha 350 Big Bear for $200 and a couch several years back and still use it.