Author Topic: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)  (Read 637241 times)

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
Re: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)
« Reply #2775 on: March 14, 2017, 05:21:24 AM »
Managed a very quick trip to the cabin to check on things and put my temp logger back into the heater for one more attempt at getting some readings.  It was 37F at the cabin and the heater was showing 59F at about 11am.  First thing I noticed (besides all the snow) was that the bricks had fallen over under the heater.

They placed in the snow so I anticipated this and had placed a 1x6 'leg' for extra support to prevent the heater from falling.

Got them back up and shimmed up under the heater.  I'll make this permanent in better weather ;)

Now that the snow is off the roof I can order the solar panel racks and get my new panels up and working.

Place looks about two weeks behind where it usually is this time of year (meaning colder and more snow)

This is very encouraging as it should mean lots of water in the mountains again this year (which means less chance of big fires).

I'm milling the next few weekends so won't have time to do much at the cabin but with luck I can get the tractor going again and start falling some trees for milling up for this years projects.

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #2776 on: March 16, 2017, 08:21:11 AM »
Got back to the cabin yesterday for a quick overnighter and had to 4 wheel through a washout.  This morning I couldn't make it through and had to backtrack to another road which took me a few miles out of the way but allowed me to get out.  Need to get my tractor working again!

The heater logger has been working and showed a high temp of 101F and a low of something like 32F.  It's been very overcast and the angle will reduce efficiency this time of year but I think when the sun comes out I should see some good results.  It's sunny today but I'm gone now until next week sometime so hopefully can get some good readings.

it does seem to be helping though as the porch was about 10 degrees warming than the outside and since the windows no longer collect solar heat (covered by the deck roof now) I think that's a good sign.

Of course it won't do much good on cloudy days but those aren't as often up there usually and certainly not on the coldest days.

Can't wait for spring!  It is warming and melting off the snow but it's still pretty cold at night

Offline Toyotaboy

« Reply #2777 on: March 16, 2017, 03:43:14 PM »
I looked at that data logger. Very cool. Might get one to just log the temps in the cabin. So I have some sort of idea of the fluctuations.
Can you tel me more about the fan you have hooked up? AC/DC ?  Cost ?

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #2778 on: March 19, 2017, 08:09:25 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BMATFK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's the fan I bought.  It's a DC fan and somewhat loud but that's what you would expect from something that forces that much air right?

The logger is supposed to be improved in a new release that will make it a little more user friendly but now that I understand it's idiosyncrasy's I'm ok with using it and price wise I am not sure it can be beat.

Offline Toyotaboy

« Reply #2779 on: March 21, 2017, 07:45:39 PM »
I looked at the reviews on the fan and you are right. Moves a lot of air but noisy. I'm going to need something quieter I think. Thanks.

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #2780 on: March 27, 2017, 04:39:17 AM »
I was out turning logs into lumber all weekend

But once I set the mill up I headed off to the cabin and was hoping to find my solar heater temp logger had worked....

First successful test of the solar pop can heater! Once I worked with the manufacturer on the temp logger I bought to get it to work I placed it at the cabin and turned it on...two weeks later I picked it up and can see clearly what the heater is doing.

You can see where the temp rose to 110F and the fan came on causing a small drop in temp which was expected, then what appears to be clouds causing a short duration drop then the climb to an amazing 185.2F before some clouds drop the temp a bit again and finally the end of the day when I suspect the sun dips behind the trees to the south west of the cabin.

All in all a success! Now I just need to seal in the porch nice and tight to keep all that heat in! Then I need to make a second and stick it on the south wall of the cabin.

Offline Toyotaboy

« Reply #2781 on: March 27, 2017, 06:24:44 PM »
I'm really finding this whole solar heater build very interesting( well your whole build actually). Will you use a data logger to measure the cabin temps? Once you have your south side one built?

What type of logs were you milling?

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #2782 on: Yesterday at 07:47:57 AM »
As soon as I get the porch insulated I'll use the logger in there to see how it does, then, yes, I'll do the same in the cabin once I have a heater on it too :)

With luck I can keep the cabin warm during the day when I'm away without having the stove running all day (which it won't anyway)....that is the hope anyway :)

Offline OlJarhead

• Journeyman
    • Team SEWA
« Reply #2783 on: Yesterday at 08:16:29 AM »
OH and I was milling Fir for barns and shops :)  Milled over 10,000 board feet this weekend.