BLOK Ranch cabin

Started by NM_Shooter, June 30, 2008, 11:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

Well, started if you count pounding 8 stakes in the ground and digging a test hole for a pier.  

My brother and I were able to access the property.  Two weeks ago the road in was still snow covered and would not allow ATV access.  The snow was melting fast and we were able to get in on dirt bikes on Saturday and decided it was fine to bring the truck and trailer in on Sunday.  Here is my brother at the gate; we were greeted by a small group of elk:

I found a different spot for the cabin than the one I originally selected.  This one is on a bit of a hill, has nice dry soil, and has a large berm behind it that protects it from runoff from the meadow uphill.  As a bonus, there is a spring uphill and a small year round creek passes 100' north of the site.  I think I can build a springbox uphill and pipe water down.   Probably use buried pex and will have to bring it 500' or more.

Here is the site.  You can see the stakes to the right for the first cabin.  There will be a little bunkhouse for guests here too:

The view from where my outhouse will be... looking north into the meadow behind the cabin.  Who needs a door?   :)

We would have gotten more done but were distracted by fish rising.  The pond has nice sized ones, and the trout in the meadow are smaller but voraciously hungry.  I was catching trout out of some of the streams that are only 6" wide.  They funnel down into larger streams that have much bigger and deeper pockets.  We did not catch any large fish, but I love catching even little ones.  My brother caught and took this one home as it inhaled a panther martin and was bleeding bad.  

On the way out, a tractor trailer rolled and blocked the access down CO Hwy17 into Chama.  We had to exit the back way through Antonito, but got to see some interesting stuff, including the Cumbres / Toltec terminal in Antonito.  This was a very weird "locomotive".

Anyway, I started making holes.  Can't wait to get out of the ground.

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

dmlsr

What are you going to be building??? size ,look ,ect???
This cabin is being built in memory of my father Robert and my granfather Henry.

Thank you for looking
Dave

NM_Shooter

14X20 single gable, 6:12 pitch.  Just enough room for a queen sized bunk bed, shower and toilet (no solids!), sink, stove top, wood stove and table.  There will be an awning on the front that will hinge down over the front of the cabin door to protect and secure the entry when we are not there.  Metal roof, not sure about the siding yet.  10' of snow is not uncommon.  I'd prefer a metal siding, but that may be out of my price range.  If it is not protected, porcupines eat the cabins. 

No utilities here.  will be using two golf cart batteries, and a solar panel / batt charger.  Probably will put in a small inverter for lights, but water pump will be 12V RV type along with a RV water heater. 

This will be a summer / early fall cabin only.  I may not even insulate.

considerations

"Well, started if you count pounding 8 stakes in the ground and digging a test hole for a pier. "

I'd say that 8 stakes and a yummy trout are an excellent start!

Sometimes just getting to know your property before breaking out the tools is a good thing.  You already proved that by choosing one site, and then choosing another.  I look forward to watching your progress.

MountainDon

It must have felt great to get up there and plant those stakes!! Moving the location from the original spot is par for the game; we made a few moves over the planning stages. We have skid steer time planned for Sun/Mon, July 13/14; more on that later and in another topic.

One question that occurred to me was "will that greeting committee be found come Sept/Oct/Nov?

If you don't insulate you can make little shelves between the studs all over the place. Wrap it to keep out the drafts though. Have you considered cement board for exterior siding? The porkies probably wouldn't lie that too much.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

The "locomotive" reminds me of an "engine" on the water district railroad back home; looked like a boxcar with windows at the front, powered by a flathead Ford V8, top loader transmission, etc.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

I'm hoping the greeting party will be there this autumn... that was a primary driver for buying the property.  We received 12 elk tags this year and I have my name in the hat for a MB first, then BOW ES, then cow.  We'll see! 

Yes, I am thinking cement board... I am also thinking about "cheap" metal siding.  I'm not too worried about aesthetics, but need something that can withstand lots of moisture and nibbling critters. 

One of the other owners brought up his new outhouse (he is building a cabin this year too, and he bought the bolt-together plans).  His outhouse is sweet... 4' wide, 4' deep, and 8' tall.  You can darn near sleep in that thing.  He covered the whole structure in aluminum flashing and earned the christened title "The Airstream".  It has round vents and even a stained glass window. 

I am tempted to put fins and a nosecone on it when he is not looking.  I'm trying to figure out a way to one-up his outhouse design.  I have some left over cultured stone and was trying to find a way to build a hobbit-outhouse.  Or maybe one with CAT5 and a satellite dish.  Who knows.  But I can't let him have the best outhouse.

MountainDon

Well, best of luck on the draw.   :)

Might be fun to put a dish on it even if not in service.  :D

apaknad

fins and a nosecone...now that's funny! i do love his airstream name too.
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

NM_Shooter

I'll take a picture of his outhouse this weekend.  I may hang a sign on it that says "To Infinity and Beyond" and maybe put a Buzz Lightyear action figure inside.  Maybe another sign on a stick on the ground that has an arrow pointing to the "Launchpad".  Oh man... I am going to have fun with this.

NM_Shooter

I'm psyched... trailer loaded with 2400# of quikcrete, genset, wheelbarrow, tools, rebar and empty water jugs.  My daughter and I are out the door O-dark-hundred tomorrow for a couple of days of work.  I could not entice my wife and other daughter to attend... some nonsense about needing to shop for school.

My rancher only got a couple of holes dug before the weather chased him off the mountain, so we are digging on Saturday.  The plan is to get the four corner piers in by Sunday night.  I'll leave the other four holes to the rancher if he can get in this week, and return next weekend to finish them up.  Who knows... maybe bring beam materials up with me too next weekend.

One fly in the ointment.  One of the other owners out there pointed out that I have a very large ponderosa pine leaning towards my site.  I'll need to see if my itty bitty chain saw is up to the task of dropping that in a safe direction.  Should be interesting at least. 

Pix to follow.

MountainDon

MountainDon

Quote from: NM_Shooter on August 01, 2008, 09:42:52 PM
I have a very large ponderosa pine leaning towards my site.  I'll need to see if my itty bitty chain saw is up to the task of dropping that in a safe direction. 

If it's leaning much it'll choose the direction to fall.  ;D It might remain standing like that for decades too. But if it was leaning in the direction of my cabin site I'd take it out.

Note that if you're saving green pine for firewood, or any purpose really, it's advised to cover it right down to the ground with 6 mil clear plastic to bake/steam any bark beetles. Weight the edges down to seal it as well as possible. After the first year the beetles won't lay eggs under the bark.

NM_Shooter

Thanks Don,

If I recall, the tree is about 20" in diameter, and is leaning ENE.  My cabin is due East.  The other owner who pointed this out made me notice that the trees seem to primarily fall from W to E on the property.  I hate cutting down such a beautiful old tree, but I can't have it be a risk.  I just want it down safely at this point.

BTW... thanks for the encouragement to put the joists on top of the beams.  This is going to allow me to much more easily place the piers without having to worry about the exact placement.  When I was sweating this decision you could have just told me to quit being a dumb #$$ and just do it like THIS.  I appreciate the gentle nudge, but feel free to be more direct with advice any time  ;D

BTW... I received a MB rifle tag.  Nobody else even asked for one.  No way will this cabin be done by Oct. 1.  I'd be delighted with a roof and a locking front door at that point.  But I may just be pitching a tent on the deck.

We're bringing .22s with tomorrow too for break time.  My daughter has never "plinked" before.  She has only shot paper at the range.  I think she is going to like this.  I have an old sawmill on my tract, and there is a large loading berm that is left that will make an excellent backstop. 

-f-

MountainDon

Quote from: NM_Shooter on August 01, 2008, 10:56:45 PM

1.  If I recall, the tree is about 20" in diameter

2.  BTW... I received a MB rifle tag. 

3.  I have an old sawmill on my tract, and there is a large loading berm that is left that will make an excellent backstop. 

1. We took one tree about that size down this spring. I had to cut from the left and the right with my 16 inch bar.  :(  It too was a real leaner, coupled with an S curve just above ground level.

2.  MB... Mature Buck Elk, not an MB Pronghorn, I would guess. Good luck.  :)

3.  Anything much left? I love old stuff like that.

NM_Shooter

Oh man, am I tired and sore.  Two days of lumberjacking, digging, concrete mixing, cinder block stacking exercise.  Trip started out with a flat trailer tire on the rock road in, with 2400# of concrete and 1000# of misc tools and parts. 

Got up to the site and evaluated a tree that was leaning in the direction of my cabin; one of the owners pointed out that trees fall west to east on our property and that my cabin was going to be east of this old tree.  Although it was already in decline, it was still fairly healthy, and it bummed me out to cut down such a heritage tree.  Here is me finishing up the notch cut.  That tree fell on the hinge axis.  My daughter took a picture of me hitting the kill switch, dropping the saw, and running to get out of the way.  I was wrong about the tree being 20" in diameter.  A tad bigger than that:

My rancher did not make much progress on the holes, so my 15 year old daughter and I dug most of the day Saturday on the corner piers.  My test hole a month ago did not have any substantial rocks in it.  It appears that the earth was saving them for the production holes.  I finally gave up on one rock and moved the hole over a bit.  My beams won't be parallel, but I guess that is the beauty of the cantilevered design.  One thing I did not count on, was the amount of elevation change over 18'.  I bet it must be 3' or more.  Makes me nervous about the piers only being 30" deep, but I will keep an eye on them for the first few years.

My daughter was a lifesaver.  She was constantly looking for things to do to help, and was not afraid to get dirty.  She matched me shovel for shovel all day long.  Working at 10,000 feet will definitely check your lungs out.  Here are a couple of pix of her tying in rebar:

We had a good day on Saturday, and worked till 6pm.  We got run off the mountain by a storm on Sunday; funny how fast they blow in and  all hell breaks loose.  The temperature dropped like a rock when it got wet and dark. 

This was from Saturday: 

My goal was to get the four corners totally done.  I did not accomplish.  I have the corner piers all stacked and filled halfway up the second to last block.  I will set the last block and the simpson brace on the next trip.  I want to be able to stretch a string across the tops of what I have without fear of the blocks shifting.  I am confident that I am within 1/4" level so far.

I have found that my biggest challenge is going to be getting materials to the site.  Hauling water from the pond is no fun, but at least I have water on site. 

What a job.  Anybody who builds their own cabin out in the sticks definitely has bragging rights.  This is already much harder than the addition I built on my house.  Just hauling the tools is a challenge, let alone making sure that you have the right stuff up there when you need it. 

BTW Don... there is a ton of old crap on that property from loggers and both sheep and cattle ranchers.  On my tract I have an old cabin site that my daughter and I found the "dump" for.  You want any old whiskey bottles?   ;D

glenn kangiser

Nice tree, Frank.  Now you need a saw mill.  Nice to see your daughter take an interest in working with you.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

TheWire

If the kids don't want to help, just remind them they are going to end up with the cabin. :D.  Our 4 kids 15, 14, 8, 6 have been a great help.  We have got our cabin http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=4640.0 dried in with my wife, kids and me.  Less than 2 days of help from others.  The kids have been patient and might even be learning something.  I told them we will take a break after its dried in and this August we have several vacations planned for a break before we pick up work on the cabin this fall.

Sassy

Your daughter looks like she's really working hard!  Nice time with Dad  :)  I remember when I used to do things with my dad, just he & I - one time we were staying in Colorado near Grand Junction at some friends.  The night sky was so incredibly beautiful - countless stars - he pointed out the constellations to me & told me about navigating his B52's etc.  I could always identify the big & little dipper but nothing else until he showed me them - I was 18 y/o at the time... 

Your daughter will remember these special times...   

BTW, beautiful country & great start!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

NM_Shooter

Thanks... I've been blessed with beautiful girls who are tomboys.  They ride dirtbikes, shoot sporting clays (12 ga no less!), fish, ride horses, and are at home with tools and not intimidated by boys.  They also ballroom dance, play the piano, look nice in a dress and know which fork to use.  Honor students and respectful (Ms / Mr precedes adult names, and they don't interrupt without excusing themselves). 

Sorry to brag.  I can't help.  They are far from perfect.... they fight each other like roosters and their rooms could be cleaner, and quicker with chores.  They both have a tendency to (usually respectfully) challenge authority that sometimes frustrates me, but I can see that as a good thing too.  All in all I like the way they are turning out.

I guess I just never knew better than to treat them other than an important part of my projects.  Even when they were little they helped me on work.  I once forgot an electrical circuit and had a 6 year old dragging romex for me through a pocket ceiling.  Melissa helped me swap out the exhaust system on my truck.  Sarah stretched wire for fencing and thought it was fun.

Their future husbands owe me bigtime!

Shamelessly proud,

-f-

considerations

"Their future husbands owe me bigtime!"

You ain't kidding!  Good for you, my hat is off to you for supporting such well rounded experiences. 

The cabin site is very nice.  Great view.

Around here one rule is that rocks only grow where you want to put the holes.  I'm sure of it.

MountainDon

Quote from: NM_Shooter on August 04, 2008, 10:30:22 PM
BTW Don... there is a ton of old crap on that property from loggers and both sheep and cattle ranchers.  On my tract I have an old cabin site that my daughter and I found the "dump" for.  You want any old whiskey bottles?   ;D

Hmmm. Maybe. What I want to do is visit sometimes after my cabin is dried in and I feel like I need a rest. Well, the dried in part is true; I wouldn't expect it to be a rest visit, just different work.    :D

NM_Shooter

MountainDon

No I don't. Maybe I need one of those.  ???

NM_Shooter

Went up yesterday for the last visit of the year.  I was bringing 5 sacks of concrete, the last 4 bases, and my time of day camera to mount on a tree.  I made it up most of the way, then realized I didn't pack three of the CB66 post bases.  I was about 60 miles out of the last town to have a Building supply store, so I stopped on the side of the road to make some cell calls.  I called a Hacienda home store, and they told me that they had 10 CB66 bases in stock.  So I turned around and went back to Espanola, NM.  When I showed up at the store, well... guess what.  They did not have the CB66 bases  >:( 

I checked Lowes, and another store in town and came up empty.  So... I lost three hours of my day and a quarter tank of gas on that exercise.

I still got up to the property about 12:30 and proceeded to hang the camera.   I needed to get it up above the snow, and even more importantly, above the snow-mobilers.  Yes, I can assure you it is as high as it looks!  Here it is on the tree:

I put some bailing wire above and below the box and crammed some branches in to hide it a little.  The lens ring around the camera sticks out like a sore thumb.  Oh well.... if someone wants it bad enough they can have it.

With any luck, this is the angle that I will have.  The picture won't be anywhere near as clear as this though.  The box may be aimed a little more left than this view.  I was trying to get a picture of my cabin site and the pond overflow.  I couldn't get a good angle on the overflow.

Did a little fishing to try out the newly stocked pond.  It fishes really well  :)  I caught a couple dozen in no time, including a heritage trout that must have been in there awhile.  He was about 15" and very chubby.  After fishing I decided to eat a gourmet meal at my cabin site.  I love fine Italian food!  Unfortunately, that is the high side of my piers.  Yikes is right.