Author Topic: Dogtrot at Hightop  (Read 497900 times)

Online Redoverfarm

• Journeyman
  • Applachian Mtns, West Virginia
Re: Dogtrot at Hightop
« Reply #1300 on: September 16, 2016, 04:45:27 AM »
One more scratched off of my list.

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Jemez Mountains, NM; that's pronounced HEY-mess
    • My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin
« Reply #1301 on: September 16, 2016, 07:23:51 AM »
 [cool] 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn’t mean it is good design.

If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time and money to fix it?

Offline ChuckinVa

« Reply #1302 on: September 17, 2016, 09:07:35 AM »
Looks good John. Hope to see it in person soon !
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

Online Redoverfarm

• Journeyman
« Reply #1303 on: September 17, 2016, 11:01:18 AM »
Yes it's long overdue.  Hoping to get up there the last of October.  Seems each year there is always something that delays the gathering.  Will let you know for sure later on.

Online Redoverfarm

• Journeyman
« Reply #1304 on: October 02, 2016, 10:48:32 AM »
Had a visitor last week.  This was the same week as the early Bear Season.  I would say that someone took his Mother and he is left to adapt.  Given his size I doubt that he will make it.

Oh here is some more that I forgot about from the last of July.  This years hatch

Offline Don_P

• Journeyman
« Reply #1305 on: October 02, 2016, 06:58:22 PM »
I've seen 2 bear in the past 3 days, unusual for me. Lots of deer. Bow opened here this weekend for them. A young man got his first here yesterday evening and another this morning at a friends place. Of course I drove up to a small herd this evening under the same apple.

Online Redoverfarm

• Journeyman
« Reply #1306 on: October 29, 2016, 05:57:01 AM »
Had a close call this past week.  Nothing that would affected the cabin thank goodness but never the less could have wiped out my trail camera and a couple new sheets of metal roofing.  A Bull pine (yellow or sap pine) decided that it had stood upright long enough and fell.  Barely missing a new trail camera by about 1 foot.  The limbs just missed a stack of new roofing panels by inches.  It was about 12-14" at the stump and about 50 feet in length.  Normally I salvage down trees for firewood but with this being pine and completely rotted to the heart I just dumped it over the hill.

Once I thought about it this might have been a real problem if the timing was such and wind direction could have made it fall upon an approaching vehicle up the driveway.  I was hoping the camera would have caught it as it fell but it didn't.   ???   Maybe because it was off to the side and fell directly toward the camera and it didn't catch the movement.

Online Redoverfarm

• Journeyman
« Reply #1307 on: January 21, 2017, 06:25:55 PM »
Found this fellow checking out the cabin after I had winterized it around the 1st of December.  This evening was the first chance I had to check on the cabin since then.  My son says it appears to be around 200#. 

Online Redoverfarm

• Journeyman
« Reply #1308 on: May 30, 2017, 04:13:25 PM »
Well this part-time employment has turned into Full-time.  Still trying to get things done at the cabin and the house.  As for the cabin just another chapter in the Generac saga.  Seems that the new 15kw which I received in July has bit the dust.  It was put on line and then off on November when I shut down the cabin for the winter.  In April I brought it back on line and it ran perfectly for about 2 weeks.  Then an Error code appeared and shut it down.  It was cleared and started back up and ran about 30 seconds and the same code showed up and shut it down. It is still under warranty and a service tech was called and tried to isolate the problem but was unable.  He communicated with Generac and as it stands now I am waiting for a replacement motor.   This has past " Getting old"  since I have not had a solid working generator since 2011.  The actual running hours was only 120 before it malfunctioned.

Well moving to the farm I did luck into some "rip/rap" material to place along the banks of the small stream which runs through the property.  I have a "S" or double horseshoe turn in the stream.  Since I acquired the property in 1994 I have lost about 20-24 feet of land that the stream has eroded on both turns.  Well the cost of quarry stone is cost prohibitive.  There is a nearby bridge (1940 era) that is being replaced not far from the house.  Just so happens my friend who has a construction company was awarded the salvage contract and is assisting them in materials needed for the temporary bridge.  I managed to get 30 pieces of concrete scalloped handrail and sidewalk.  Each piece is about 48" high and 16' long weighing nearly 5 ton a piece.  I plan to embed the portions into the embankment of the stream.   Here is a few photographs of the salvaged pieces.  I will wait until late summer when the water level reaches it lowest point before I begin working with them.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 06:35:56 PM by Redoverfarm »

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Jemez Mountains, NM; that's pronounced HEY-mess
    • My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin
« Reply #1309 on: May 30, 2017, 06:41:48 PM »
Sort of looks like pews lined up for church.

That's a great find, better along your stream than a landfill.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn’t mean it is good design.

If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time and money to fix it?

Offline ben2go

« Reply #1310 on: May 30, 2017, 07:01:15 PM »
After all you've been through with Genrac genset, I'd be ready to rip it out and go with a completely different genset company. At least they are standing behind the product.

Online Redoverfarm

• Journeyman
« Reply #1311 on: July 02, 2017, 08:35:31 AM »
Well the good news is that the generator is again up and running.  Turned out after the replacement motor arrived it was determined that the Stator was the problem.  So in essence I got a new motor and stator.  Seems to be operating as it is suppose to with the additional Magnum equipment in that it is running 2-1/2 hrs every 3 days to charge the batteries.  Now maybe if I can find time to actually enjoy it.  Here it is the 1st of July and it has been down since the 2nd week of April.

Online Redoverfarm

• Journeyman
« Reply #1312 on: July 02, 2017, 08:45:46 AM »
To other members and guest I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the missing images from Dogtrot.  This apparently was a result of the host Photobucket now requiring a monetary compensation to post 3rd party images.  If anyone is interested in an image please E-mail me or send a Private message and I will do my best to send you a direct link to that particular image.  Sorry, Redoverfarm