20'X32' with loft in S. Missouri

Started by Jeff W, July 30, 2015, 07:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff W

Quote from: MountainDon on February 26, 2016, 09:45:25 AM
If the wrap you used on the outside is the usual housewrap and the insulation is fiberglass with kraft paper facing that is fine. Housewrap is an air barrier with microperf's to allow water vapor to pass through.

Exactly what I planned and just what I needed to know, thanks! I just wasn't sure and did not want to set it up for problems unaware. I priced insulation at Menards and lowes. I'm saving $600. By buying at Menards. Thats a huge deal for me.

TomT

Menards sales prices can be mighty sweet!  :)

Love your build - well done and mighty fast IMO.
I also cannot wait for that update on cost(s) to date - we keep going back and forth , this way and that.  ;D

Jeff W

Just a little update for those who was watching my costs.

well drilled with pump set, Foundation and dirt work, framing the house up, under metal roof, windows and doors, Main power service cable from pole and all electrical has been run and breaker box put in, insulation installed.....

Total costs to this point are 41,081.00 its a bit higher than I thought, but remember, I paid someone else to do the foundation and roof, I also rented a ditch witch and bobcat, and purchased some tools I needed along the way. I am guessing I have about 38k in the place if i take away all these extras.
I am pretty happy so far as i do not owe a penny on any of it.

MTScott

Nice build, and it is coming along quickly. 

I'm curious how much extra help you've had?  Has it pretty much been a one man show?

ajbremer

Great looking build Jeff, thanks for those awesome pics!
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

Jeff W

Quote from: MTScott on April 08, 2016, 10:34:01 AM
Nice build, and it is coming along quickly. 

I'm curious how much extra help you've had?  Has it pretty much been a one man show?

My brother helped me get the floor framed and decked. then him, my nephew helped frame the walls.
Me and my Nephew framed the roof, and sheeted it. I payed a crew to put on the steel roof and I have been alone ever since.

Jeff W

Got the Well house built and all the plumbing done. Used Rough cut Oak from local saw mill and made it to look like an Outhouse. The roof is easily removed so the pump can be pulled with crane. The upper half of the well house will have a removable shelf and ill store hoses, sprinklers and other items inside.

I hooked everything up today to get the water running and the pump would trip the breaker. its never had power and been there for quite a while. the driller who done my well is coming out to pull the pump Monday and figure out what is wrong. wont cost me a dime as he covers everything since its never been hooked up. It is a 3 wire with ground pump, From what I can tell with checking it with a meter, the yellow common and black power for the pump shows correct readings of low resistance. But checking the Yellow Common and Red starter wire, the resistance if through the roof, topping in the 40 ohm..so the wire is bad or the pump was bad and got water in where it is supposed to be sealed. im kind of wondering if lighting didn't hit the red wire and nearly fry it.. Either way will know Monday and will have running water Monday. I am considering buying the bumpers to go on the water line to keep it from rubbing the walls of the well when the pump is running. A common problem that causes the wires to rub in half. While the pump is pulled adding bumpers will stop that and protect the wires from the well wall.

Rys

roadmap65

Jeff, thankyou for all the information you have shared. You have a very beautiful place. We have been planning to build a very similar cabin on our 86 acres. We will be using cash no financing also. We drilled our well  6 years ago and will be starting the cabin build later this year. We are just poor working people so it took us awhile to save. When fnished we will be like you, nothing owed to anyone. Looking forward to further updates. Absolutly love the out house.

Jeff W

Quote from: roadmap65 on April 19, 2016, 11:08:52 AM
Jeff, thankyou for all the information you have shared. You have a very beautiful place. We have been planning to build a very similar cabin on our 86 acres. We will be using cash no financing also. We drilled our well  6 years ago and will be starting the cabin build later this year. We are just poor working people so it took us awhile to save. When fnished we will be like you, nothing owed to anyone. Looking forward to further updates. Absolutly love the out house.

Roadmap65, just a boost of moral for you. I too am a poor guy. I saved and saved to get here. First thing I did was get myself out of debt, except for living expeses. Then I knuckled down until I had 30k. I figured starting out in my area if I had $30k I could get it dried in, windows, doors, roof and siding. At that point I'd be good as gold. And it worked out. But boy I did without a lot. My truck I purchased new. It's now 14 yrs old, 220k on the odometer. It's pure determination not to eat out or buy things. You can do it.

roadmap65

Jeff , how is your build coming along? I have been following your build and appreciate you listing your costs. I live just south of you so i figure i might be able to get similar pricing on materials. 

nailit69

Quote from: roadmap65 on June 28, 2016, 07:30:42 PM
I have been following your build and appreciate you listing your costs.

I'm DIY'ing my 14'x24' and based on actual costs so far and my budget numbers i'm coming in around $30 per sq. ft.. 

Jeff W

Quote from: roadmap65 on June 28, 2016, 07:30:42 PM
Jeff , how is your build coming along? I have been following your build and appreciate you listing your costs. I live just south of you so i figure i might be able to get similar pricing on materials.

Things have been real busy here for while and I have not got to work on it much. But here real soon I'll be back at it. If you would like to see the place let me know, your more than welcome to come check it out.

roadmap65

Jeff, we would love to take you up on the offer and see your place. Going to try and send you my phone number in a pm.

Rys

Would love to see more pictures, especially of the inside!    :)

Jeff W

Sorry I have been absent here for so long, but it is as I can afford it. d*

OK, I basically let this cabin sit most of the summer and did nothing. but recently got back to it. first I got the front and back decks done to the porches...32' long by 10' deep, each deck was done for right at $1200 each.

here is the back deck getting done...

At this point I had to stop for the day, I wanted to go farther but I fell through the joists and got pretty banged up all over. it is about a 4 ft drop tot he ground through them, and I think I het everyone of them joists. but the next week I was back at it. so I got lucky.

And the finished deck

Also got the front one on asap, its pretty close to the ground, so I had to do a little work to direct water out from under it should it get under the deck, so I put a gentle grade from one end to the other and put down two layers of plastic and some rock on top in places to hold it down.

Jeff W

Ordered the car siding (or knotty pine paneling) I figured roughly 3580 ln ft needed so I just made it easy and ordered a full bundle of 4000 ln ft. I got it from some Mennonites here close by for  right at .51 cents a ln foot. it was pretty good looking wood and so far I have hardly had any waste...be sure you go look before buying if possible so you know what your getting.

got started on the knotty pine, I practiced in the guest bedroom down stairs, I had never hung the stuff and wanted to figure out the ins and outs and it was the perfect place to start. then I jumped right out into the living space and went for it.
I am Shellacking the knotty pine, not poly. I do not want poly on it for my own personal reason. the Shellac is nice, it goes on like water, dries fast and has just the right amount of shine for the wood to look natural and light. im mixing just enough amber Shellac to tint the clear (8 oz. amber to 2 qts. clear). the walls I hung without Shellac, but the over head stuff is Shellacked before hanging. the walls I amm going to spray on.

Panoramic, the wood looks waving, its not, hand shook taking the panorama.

and started the ceiling on the front side. this is where I have stopped, I took a week off work to bow hunt, and now its firearms deer season, so I will get back in there around Thanksgiving.

ChugiakTinkerer

Looking great!  I really like the look of the decking.  Is that cedar?
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

Rys

Jeff W

Quote from: ChugiakTinkerer on November 11, 2016, 10:33:02 AM
Looking great!  I really like the look of the decking.  Is that cedar?

No, that is your standard 5/4" PT decking, some of it was fresher and still pretty soaked, the lighter color had sat on the shelf a bit and dried some.

Don_P

Those hurt, you find out over the next several days just how many places you hit. Shellac is an interesting finish, looks good.

Wood stuff, the decking is treated SYP, I'd bet it carries a gradestamp that reads R.E.D. radius edge decking, which is it's own special grade sort of like "STUD" (which is a grade of 2x4). The orange you see on some boards is heartwood. The cells are occluded by extractives in the heartwood of SYP and do not accept treatment. The heartwood of SYP is listed as moderately decay resistant so above ground is a good use for these trees at a moderate treatment level to get the sapwood up to the same resistance. With a little sun and time it becomes uniform pretty quickly. Foundation grade SYP specifies all sapwood so the higher level of treatment can penetrate fully, a good use for younger trees. Rambling aside, the pic showed some neat stuff.

roadmap65

Looks really good Jeff. You have made some progress since my wife and I last saw your cabin. We are getting ready to start ours soon. We are putting a basement under ours. I had some questions about  the size and where you got the windows. I changed phones and lost your number, sent you a pm with my new number.

Jeff W

After struggling with this knotty pine siding, I finally got around to using my brain.. most of the lengths I am using are up to 16' long, 12' 14' and 16' they are nearly impossible to get them up overhead alone. I was doing all kinds of things then I thought to myself..."Dummy, you have scrap, you have plywood...make something". Below is a picture of my helping hands, I made 3 of these out of plywood with small pieces of siding sandwiched between them. I cut the tongue off and it gives me a place to tap with a hammer. I left the groove to keep from damaging the piece I was hanging. I cut angles on the ends of the plywood so that I am not ripping my insulation when sliding them in or pulling them out. And sanded the cuts smooth.
  Of course the last couple rows I cannot use them, but boy they make things easier. you slide these in between studs or rafters, I start in the middle, then go slide one on each end, then its just a matter of getting the boards tapped into place and nailing.

This picture was before I figured out I needed to cut the angle on both ends, otherwide you tear the insulation paper when pulling them out.

ChugiakTinkerer

[cool]

How does that saying go?  "Necessity is a mother..."

Well done and thanks for sharing.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

Jeff W

Well, I managed to get the ceiling all hung up, put in trim today and put up the fan. I needed to get that trim up top put in and the fan in so I could pull all the boards and plywood off so I could do the end. I can do that end from ladder. But the real high stuff I'm not able to do from a ladder. Those beams have been real handy. I also got most of the lady finished. I'm close to finishing up the knotty pine and moving quickly to being able to put in wide plank flooring.

Working by yourself is hard, slow and dangerous. Remember, you'll have help some of the time. But most of the time your on your own. You are your only dependable help.