12'x20' Okanogan Cabin... already likely to go 14'x24' or bigger

Started by nailit69, January 25, 2015, 12:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nailit69

Been poking around here for a few weeks checking out everyone's projects... very informative as well as inspiring. My daughter recently purchased 20ac. up in the hills above Tonasket and we're getting geared up to start an off-grid cabin. 

Initially we were thinking 12'x20' would be adequate (I have a shed/shop now that's about that size) but after some space planning and the fact that it'll never be easier or cheaper to add the sq. footage than it will be from the start, we'll likely bump it out a few more feet ea. way, i'm thinking 14'x24' will  be a little more comfortable.  We also gave thought to doing an unpermitted but to code structure... jury is still out on that one, wanted to get better aquainted with the neighbors first before I bring county officials around.  I am a Journeyman Carpenter so I know exactly what they want to see... just not sure how the county will take it if I go that route.

I'm planning a CMU foundation/basement with about 6'+/- headroom for the systems and secure storage.  I have two 250 gal. water tanks that'll go down there as well as a composting toilet tank and some sort of greywater holding tank... probably another 250gal. tank plumbed to a pit drain.  Everything will be plumbed in pex and run off of a 12v RV pump or a 110v pump depending on the power source in use at the time, propane will be run throughout the cabin for the cooktop/on demand water heater/reefer/wall heater/future needs/etc., electric will be standard romex and run off a genny until a solar setup can be installed.

Framing will be as follows... 2x8 floor joists @ 16" o.c. with 3/4" subfloor for the main and loft floors, 10' 2x6 walls @ 24" o.c., 2x12 rafters @ 24" o.c. and a 12/12 pitch.  Probably go w T1-11 siding and a comp roof to start with and plans for board n batt trim and a metal roof in a year or two.

Here's a quick sketch of the 12x20...

Going to be a long process but I have all the tools and skills to bring it together in a reasonable amount of time... as long as the cashflow keeps coming in.  I have enough cement block lying around to do about 1/3 of the foundation walls, a cement mixer, a few boxes of gun nails and simpson hardware leftover from past jobs, dozens of leftover misc. ABS fittings, electrical boxes/switches/outlets/ wirenuts/ etc. and who knows what else.

I feel like we've got a jump on the materials... now I need the one thing I can't buy... time.  I thought about looking for work in the area so I don't have to drive 5hrs. ea. way from  the west side of the mountains and actually found local full time year round work If I want it and they're asking for a commitment ASAP.  The problem is I have no place to stay while there until I get something built.  I don't mind roughing it but I want coffee, a toilet and a hot shower in the morning and camping out of my truck isn't my idea of fun unless i'm working on the cabin.

Don_P

Nice plan  :). I don't see a way up? Can you set up a camper on the property while you work/build?

nailit69

Thanks...  Likely to be a ships ladder to the loft in the top left corner.  I have it drawn in on the loft floor plan.  If I build the 14'x24' i'll probably try for a set of stairs but they can take up a lot of real estate.

I have a friend with a camp trailer that wants to lend it to me indefinitely but unfortunately it's in Las Vegas.  She has no way to get it here and niether do I without going and getting it.  My dad has a nice fifth wheel but he's in Texas for a few more weeks or longer and uses it a lot in the summer... it'll probably wind up at the property but with no way to haul it out to dump, i'll likely have to pack out a tank once a week or so.  Also, there's no water there so that presents another challenge... 30 miles to town and I have an SUV.  Things just sort of started moving faster than we're able to keep up with at the moment... we'll figure it out.

If things work out with this job over there i'll probably have him haul the 5th wheel over since he's going to be camping for a month at Concunully in April and i'll just have to tough it out with the water and sewer situation.

nailit69

Well, we've been busting our butts for the last 2 weeks at work and have a few days off so we're going to head up to the property for a couple of days and poke around.  We rented a cabin at Spectacle Lake for the weekend... a little expensive for the off season but there are 5 of us going... it's close, even though we won't be spending much time there.

We're really excited to get out and see more of the "Ranch"... the last time we were there we only had about 45 minutes to look around... it was the last place we looked at and had the most going for it... lots of trees, 2 "seasonal" creeks, an 80 yr. old apple orchard, and we'll find out what else tomorrow. 

I want to hand dig a few holes to see what the ground is like and if we're going to need dynamite or an just an excavator to dig the hole and to also stake out a location for the cabin.  We're bringing the quad, chainsaw, shovels, axes, firewood, popup canopy, camera, lunch, beer, weber grill, etc. and have a little fun while we're there too.  Hoping to meet up with the neighbor to say hello and chew his ear for a minute.

nailit69

We came... we saw... we got our butts kicked ;).  Actually it just feels like we got our butts kicked.

Initially we were going to take 1 truck and it quickly turned into 2 and then we were going to caravan... until my dad and brother got the itch to go and left at 830am... we had to wait til 430pm to leave.  We rented a nice cabin at Spectacle... got a 2bd rate for the 3bd "suite" and we were the only ones there... priceless.  We got into town about 1130pm, my dad already had the lights on and a fire going, and of course my brother had food on the grill and beer on ice so we settled in and enjoyed the rest of the evening.

We got up at the crack of dawn and had coffee, made breakfast, then headed out to "The Ranch"...

First sign things were going to be a challenge... a 350' mudbog at the first turn and my dad only has 2wd... he made it.  Second challenge... solid ice on the road for the last 3/4 mile in.  We pulled off and unloaded the quad and "Gramps" and my daughter made thier way up there with us following in the 4x4.

It had been a while since we had been there and things looked a lot different under 6"-8" of snow.  We thought we'd taken a wrong turn when we broke out into the small valley that surrounds the place... we knew we were there.  Didn't expect to see that much snow on the ground but the valley is shaded this time of year and slow to melt.  We weren't able to get in very far with the quad so "Gramps wasn't able to see as much as we were... he's got the COPD, and 100yds. is a hell of a hike for him.  We forgot the map w/the property lines but were able to find 5 of 6 corners.

It was socked in w/HEAVY cloud cover and vis. was 1/4mi. or less... mostly less.  I felt like we had eyes on us out there in the fog... we found numerous large cougar tracks... some fresher than others, hundreds of deer tracks and dozens of trails.  We counted 25 apple trees on the property and it's very apperent the local wildlife enjoys them very much.  We ran into a good looking and BIG tom turkey... we're used to seeing turkey in Southern Oregon but they're not usually as big.

We found the perfect location for the cabin... road access is basically in, we just need to rock the last 200' to the site... not much clearing to do, mostly sagebrush and a few small bushes... it's on a knob so it's got an excellent view of most of the property... perfect sloping terrain w/a nice southern exposure for a terraced garden on the hillside... it couldn't be better.  We dug a couple of test holes w/the deepest one being 4' +/- and the ground is nice... the first 2' was really nice dark topsoil w/not too many rocks and then a nice firm layer below that so digging for a foundation shouldn't be too bad, we're only going down about 48"-54" or so.   

My dad had enough by 1pm and decided to head back to the cabin... we hung out for another hour or so and one of the neighbors came by... we chatted for about an hour... friendly guy. I asked how they feel about the county and permitted buildings and in a round about way he mildly suggested that we just do as we please and the road is horrible for a reason... I like it even more now.

We went into town Sat. night and checked out the local watering hole and met a few locals, had some good food, hung out for a while and checked out DJKarl and the Tonasket club scene... good times 8)

We weren't able to take a lot of pics but managed to get a few... on the DSLR... stupid antiquated technology... pics to come.

Of course it was beautiful on sunday morning when we had to leave... notice the giant rock on top of the hill... it's got to be 1/4mi. long 100ft. tall and 2-300ft. wide.

SkagitDrifter

Nice.  Welcome to the neighborhood. 
I'm sure we'll be seeing you around.
Spring comes on fast in that neck of the woods-
You'll be digging the hole before you know it.
Keep us posted.
SD
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

flyingvan

I know you didn't ask for any input on your plan so feel free to completely disregard...I think there should be a second entry/exit on the ground floor.  I also think way too much space is wasted on the entry that could double as kitchen or living space.  Also if the fireplace was more towards the center it would draft better and heat the loft better---it's awfully far from the bathroom, too
Find what you love and let it kill you.

nailit69

Quote from: flyingvan on February 10, 2015, 10:14:29 PM
I know you didn't ask for any input on your plan so feel free to completely disregard...I think there should be a second entry/exit on the ground floor.  I also think way too much space is wasted on the entry that could double as kitchen or living space.  Also if the fireplace was more towards the center it would draft better and heat the loft better---it's awfully far from the bathroom, too

Thanks flyingvan... i'm always up for critique'.  I agree with most of the suggestions you made... all legit... if the place was bigger, lol. 

1. A second door is an excellent idea...  considering size it's just too small for a second door... window size will probably be increased for egress but now you've got me thinking and i'll probably frame one hole for a door in case I want to add a second door later and stick a window in it for now.

2. Entry... just a word on a piece of paper. Just a habit... more to define an area than it's actual usage.  It'll actually be a combo entry/dining/extra couch space.

3. Fireplace... my airtight gets so stinking hot that most times you can't be within 5' of it and we usually run around the house in T-shirts and shorts. Again, considering size I don't think it'll be an issue and take the "hot zone" around the stove into consideration and i've lost a lot of floor space by moving it to the middle.

4. Bathroom... the cabin is only 24'-0" long... too far to the bathroom?  I want to be able to keep the plumbing tucked out of the way and against the wall in the basement and take advantage of the headroom down there.  :EDIT: Duh... I understand what you're saying... I think...  the fireplace is too far from the bathroom... I should probably put in some sort of heat source or fan for back there

nailit69

Quote from: SkagitDrifter on February 10, 2015, 03:48:50 PM
Nice.  Welcome to the neighborhood. 
I'm sure we'll be seeing you around.
Spring comes on fast in that neck of the woods-
You'll be digging the hole before you know it.
Keep us posted.
SD

Hey SD...  Thanks for the welcome.  I was checking out your build and absolutely love it... nice cabin, nice workmanship, nice view, etc.

I have to say I was surprised to see that much snow still at my place considering the weather lately... it wasn't too bad until we made the final climb to 2500'.  Looks like spring is making a stand though and in 4-6 weeks we should be able to get back with a machine and start digging.  I'll probably have to walk it in 1.5 mi. if the road is still as bad as it is now.

I can't wait to get back up there... about an hour after we left we were already making plans to return... this is quickly becoming an addiction.  The best part is now I have an excuse to buy more guns, another bow, a quad, more tools, and maybe a newer truck  ;).

nailit69

As promised...

Here's the initial push up the hill just after the mudbog... my dad was most likely saying WTF after the mudbog, apparently he thought we were going to a resort.

About as far as my dad could go.  Here we are unloading the quad for the last 3/4 mi. ride in...  we like our hi-vis shirts don't we

Built a fire and pitched a canopy tent.

Here kitty kitty.

Digging our test hole at the site.

The "valley" with a few of the apple trees.

Panoramic of the entrance and valley.

BTW... that is a truck tire track next to the cougar track... that's a big paw

nailit69

Quote from: Don_P on January 25, 2015, 01:56:37 PM
Nice plan  :). I don't see a way up? Can you set up a camper on the property while you work/build?

Don... after last weekends trip up there I honestly don't think i'll be getting a trailer up there until late spring or until the road improves/dries out.  I can't pull a fifth wheel w my truck and my dad has a 2wd.  He did buy an enduro motorcycle yesterday so he can ride to the property on Forest Service roads while he's at Concunully and after this last trip up he may never drive up there again...lol.

nailit69

Well, we're heading back up to "The Ranch" next weekend... not sure how much will be able get done this time up but we're going to try and get something done.  I ran across a guy with a cabin for rent east of town and made plans to check out his place and get familiar with everything so there's a loss of at least a half day... we'll probably try and make it a 3 day weekend. 

We're going to try and get a machine up there to start digging the hole for the basement and getting the site ready.  There's about 180-200 yards (total) of dirt to move and stockpile and trying to get that done and pour footings might be a real stretch.  I want to at least get the hole dug (80-90 yards) and be ready to pour footers the next trip up.  Really hoping there's been some significant snow melt there... I have enough things to contend with and don't need another one with the snow.

UK4X4

After snow season comes....the yearly favorite ...MUd season !

Don_P

I'm not sure which I enjoy more  :D. We're usually between the two all winter, a week ago I was dragging the belly of the bobcat through the mud in and out of the basement hole, we're in the single digits nightly now so its hard as rock and too slick to crawl out.

I'm sure you know, if your going on radar they will want to see the footings formed and steel set, ready to pour.

rick91351

Ahh Yes Mud season.....  One of the reason I moved off up here after I retired so I could crawl around in three and four inches of mud one frozen ground and roads chaining up.  It don't go in two wheel it don't go in four wheel.  Sometimes it don't go with chains on all four corners...... Love it.... BTW this road was great until a couple years ago they sprayed it with a mystery dust abatement liquid.  It rises to the top.  They scrape and put down more decomposed granite and mystery mud ever since.   

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

nailit69

Quote from: rick91351 on February 18, 2015, 11:57:48 AM
BTW this road was great until a couple years ago they sprayed it with a mystery dust abatement liquid.  It rises to the top.  They scrape and put down more decomposed granite and mystery mud ever since.   

I noticed a few places that the "mystery mud" was present... it's wierd... wierd to drive on, wierd to walk on, looks like frozen starbucks frappucino.  I wonder what it is?  It's not everywhere either... just certain places.  The road into our place is all mud but one of the side roads had a different type of material... looked like rock salt or perlite. 

;) Also... I drive a Toyota... it always goes into 4x4, never gets stuck, if I were to put chains on all 4 corners I could potentially change the rotation of the earth...

I can deal with the mud... in Oregon, I'd leave in the morning @ 6'-0" tall and come home 6'-4" and that was after I scraped my boots... my truck still has stains and mud on it and I haven't been offroad down there in years... it never comes completely off.  I'm hoping to get below the "muddy" layer and get it pushed off the top of the hill and into the sandier soil that should be a lot easier to deal with.  We'll see how it goes... worst case scenario, I'll have to wait til "mud season" is over.

Don_P

For awhile they were spraying calcium chloride, hi and early. It keeps the dirt from going bone dry, unfortunately it doesn't know when to quit. We're bouncing off the ruts this morning, 5 below.

nailit69

I just hope it's not so bad that we waste a trip up there... especially if I rent a machine and can't use it.

rick91351

Here it is a lost cause to try and do anything at all.  Yet the snow is peeled back two months early.  We have had a tremendous amount of good moisture, but the ground is so frozen yet we can not any way shape or size dig a hole.  Lots of mud on top six - eight inches then the ground is frozen tight.  Where the sun does not shine it is still hard as a rock. 

All that to say think I would hold off a month as when Jarhead was living in his cabin up that way he was reporting colder night time temps than we were.  Funny that area and here are very close to each other in looks and weather.

Those Toy-das are great rigs.  I think anyway.  My 2004 Powerstroke just went to the hospital.  Transmission (autoloader) it finally threw craps after 11 years 170,000 miles of tough trips in and out of here.  Lot of heavy trailer loads of rough cut lumber going out and a lot of stuff coming back in.  Plus a few good long trips with the fifth wheel. Reason I think it lasted as long as it did I never let it get too far out of service and least little bit of burnt fluid it got cleaned and flushed.  Plus  the automatic four-wheel drive actuating motor on the transfer case was sort of hit and miss.  So a lot of bucks later it is smiling again...     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

nailit69

Quote from: Don_P on February 18, 2015, 11:46:35 AM
I'm sure you know, if your going on radar they will want to see the footings formed and steel set, ready to pour.

Yeah... kind of going under the radar.  I build houses for a living (M-F & S-S & M-F again) and have built a few dozen foundations so i've got a pretty good idea of what they want to see.  I'm still going to build it to code and probably take some pics for documentation in case it ever becomes an issue... 6"x12" footing w/2-#4 bar continuous and #4 J hooks @48" o.c.... in the wall i'll put #4 horiz. @ 2'-0" o.c. and then slug the whole thing full of cement in 2'-0" lifts... should be sufficient and pass any inspection. 

My bigger issue for now is getting water and all the cement up there... that's a lot of trips to HD for sakcrete in the F-150.  I don't want to leave w/out getting a footer in... once that's done, we can go up and be productive on every trip.  We're going to try and stay/work for 3 days and we'll have the machine for 2 days so we should be able to get a lot done... as long as it doesn't turn into a muddy mess. 

nailit69

Quote from: rick91351 on February 20, 2015, 08:53:57 AM
Those Toy-das are great rigs.  I think anyway.  My 2004 Powerstroke just went to the hospital.  Transmission (autoloader) it finally threw craps after 11 years 170,000 miles of tough trips in and out of here.  Lot of heavy trailer loads of rough cut lumber going out and a lot of stuff coming back in.  Plus a few good long trips with the fifth wheel. Reason I think it lasted as long as it did I never let it get too far out of service and least little bit of burnt fluid it got cleaned and flushed.  Plus  the automatic four-wheel drive actuating motor on the transfer case was sort of hit and miss.  So a lot of bucks later it is smiling again...     

I miss my Powerstroke... even more so since embarking on this latest adventure

nailit69

The stars have aligned and the cabin gods have smiled down on us... we kicked a$$ at work the last 10 days, gathered some more materials and supplies, and we're heading back up to "The Ranch" in the morning to start on the foundation dig.  We rented a mini all day friday and saturday and should be able to get some serious dirt work done this weekend.     

nailit69

Well... we made it back up to "The Ranch" this weekend and made huge progress.  We got the itch to go early and left at 11pm Thursday night... putting us in Tonasket at 530am.  We picked up some hot coffee to go, and food/beverage for the day and went up early... the road in was in great shape compared to last time... all the snow has melted and the ground wasn't frozen.  First order of business was to get a fire going... it was pretty chilly, overcast, windy and snowing which continued until about 2pm when the sun came out. 

We took a few minutes to orient the cabin and mark out the hole.  The machine showed up on time and they were able to deliver it right to the site so we were able to get going right away.  My brother... who is really quite good on an excavator... was able to knock the hole out in about 3hrs. and then started pushing dirt off the top of the knob making a lot of room fast and a really good firebreak in the process.  We were only able to get to 4' before hitting hardpan so it'll get backfilled a little higher to gain back the burial depth I was trying for of 54"-60".  We got started forming up the footers and bending the re-bar and had everything nailed together, the bar tied and ready to set to grade first thing Sat. morning. 

Got an early start Sat., tied up a few loose ends, made a few trips to the lumber store to pick up redi-mix and started pouring about noon... made some pretty good time and other than running out of water near the end of mixing bags, we didn't have one problem the entire weekend.  My brother dug a hole near the "seasonal creek" which appeared dry on the surface but hit water down a few feet and we were able to get the last 20-30 gallons from there.  Had everything wrapped up about 7pm and hit the bar for a hot meal and a much deserved cocktail.  We were supposed to stay in a cabin out towards republic but I was so tired Fri. night that I wouldn't wake up to decipher my directions so they turned around and rented a room in town for the weekend.

We went back up Sunday morning and cleaned up, burned the redi-mix bags, backfilled the inside of the footings, and layed out the corners and pop-outs, also scratched the corners into the green concrete so if my lines disappear I can re-mark them easily.  Funny thing... 16 hours on a machine w/an experienced operator seems/sounds like a lot of time... never enough though... we could use it for another 16 or more.  I think the next time we get one we're going to stay for a week and get it for a week... only slightly more than the 2 day rate.

nailit69

Hit the post instead of preview button...

Took a ton of pics... wanted to go through 'em first but also wanted to post a few of the groundbreaking and foundation work...

Clearing off the sage and marking out the dig...

Starting the hole...

A little form work...

Just documenting my 2' laps on my bar...

85 bags of #80 redi-mix... turned out to be exactly enough... right down to the last shovel full...

SkagitDrifter

Way to push it and make it happen!
Hard to believe The snow is all gone up there already.
What is the elevation at your place?
Poor snow year up at my place- bought a new snowmobile- that's got to be the reason.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln