Author Topic: 28 X 40 California Redwoods  (Read 53315 times)

Offline pmichelsen

• Along the Eel River, Northern CA
Re: 28 X 40 California Redwoods
« Reply #125 on: August 08, 2017, 05:23:02 PM »
Deck braced so that we can still work from it once the ledger is removed:

She ain't pretty, but hopefully it keeps the riffraff out:

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Jemez Mountains, NM; that's pronounced HEY-mess
    • My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin
« Reply #126 on: August 08, 2017, 05:34:26 PM »
Sorry to hear of the breakin. That does dampen ones spirits.   >:(
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn’t mean it is good design.

If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time and money to fix it?

Offline pmichelsen

« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2017, 06:47:26 PM »
Sorry to hear of the breakin. That does dampen ones spirits.   >:(

It does, but as my wife put it, we are safe and it's nothing I can't fix.

Offline pmichelsen

« Reply #128 on: September 05, 2017, 08:27:08 PM »
Well, fortunately everything was as we left it. But the weekend wasn't without incident...

I tried to spend 4-5 hours a day working on the grounds, as I've stated before our old caretaker was pretty much worthless, so I'm trying to get the place back to presentable.

Sunday I spent 2-3 hours on the Bobcat (yes it's fully operational again :)) moving around debris and regrading some low areas. When I was finishing up, I smelled something burning, and though maybe I got leaves stuck somewhere on the engine and they ignited. I hopped out and checked the whole thing over and there was nothing burning. False alarm. After that my wife and I were watching a movie and I had to get up and check on the Bobcat, I just had this weird feeling that the Bobcat was going to catch fire and burn the garage down. The garage is across the property from our cabin, so my fear was that by the time I noticed we would have a big fire on our hands. After checking, everything was fine, and the Bobcat had cooled down.

About an hour after that, we heard a fire truck, and I don't think I have ever heard or seen an emergency vehicle in all my time going to this property. What was more alarming is that after we heard the sirens, they stopped right around our property. I was putting my shoes on and my wife yelled out, "I see smoke through the sky light". I ran as fast as I could to the garage, and on my way there I quickly noticed it was not our property that was on fire. Our next door neighbor's property was engulfed in flames. Once the fire got to his propane tank (250 gallons) there was a massive explosion and flames must have been 50 feet high. I ran back to our cabin to tell my lady to pack our stuff, as we may have to cut out, then went back to make sure the neighbors were ok.

Everyone was fine but their four car garage with an apartment on top was almost gone, along with other structures on the property. All in all it took about three hours and eight engines to put the fire out. Fortunately for us there is a creek that runs between our properties, and that seemed to provide a natural fire break. Nevertheless, I had two hoses running making sure our property was well saturated. 

The neighbor thinks it was some rags he left in the garage after staining his deck. Scary stuff, and I spent most of the next day making sure our whole property had debris cleaned up, roofs cleared of leaves, decks clean, etc.

Here's a shot after they had been fighting the fire for about 45 minutes:

Here is the size of the embers that were falling on the opposite side of our property: