Author Topic: 28 X 40 California Redwoods  (Read 56916 times)

Offline pmichelsen

• Along the Eel River, Northern CA
Re: 28 X 40 California Redwoods
« Reply #125 on: August 08, 2017, 05:23:02 PM »
Deck braced so that we can still work from it once the ledger is removed:

She ain't pretty, but hopefully it keeps the riffraff out:

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Jemez Mountains, NM; that's pronounced HEY-mess
    • My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin
« Reply #126 on: August 08, 2017, 05:34:26 PM »
Sorry to hear of the breakin. That does dampen ones spirits.   >:(
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn’t mean it is good design.

If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time and money to fix it?

Offline pmichelsen

« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2017, 06:47:26 PM »
Sorry to hear of the breakin. That does dampen ones spirits.   >:(

It does, but as my wife put it, we are safe and it's nothing I can't fix.

Offline pmichelsen

« Reply #128 on: September 05, 2017, 08:27:08 PM »
Well, fortunately everything was as we left it. But the weekend wasn't without incident...

I tried to spend 4-5 hours a day working on the grounds, as I've stated before our old caretaker was pretty much worthless, so I'm trying to get the place back to presentable.

Sunday I spent 2-3 hours on the Bobcat (yes it's fully operational again :)) moving around debris and regrading some low areas. When I was finishing up, I smelled something burning, and though maybe I got leaves stuck somewhere on the engine and they ignited. I hopped out and checked the whole thing over and there was nothing burning. False alarm. After that my wife and I were watching a movie and I had to get up and check on the Bobcat, I just had this weird feeling that the Bobcat was going to catch fire and burn the garage down. The garage is across the property from our cabin, so my fear was that by the time I noticed we would have a big fire on our hands. After checking, everything was fine, and the Bobcat had cooled down.

About an hour after that, we heard a fire truck, and I don't think I have ever heard or seen an emergency vehicle in all my time going to this property. What was more alarming is that after we heard the sirens, they stopped right around our property. I was putting my shoes on and my wife yelled out, "I see smoke through the sky light". I ran as fast as I could to the garage, and on my way there I quickly noticed it was not our property that was on fire. Our next door neighbor's property was engulfed in flames. Once the fire got to his propane tank (250 gallons) there was a massive explosion and flames must have been 50 feet high. I ran back to our cabin to tell my lady to pack our stuff, as we may have to cut out, then went back to make sure the neighbors were ok.

Everyone was fine but their four car garage with an apartment on top was almost gone, along with other structures on the property. All in all it took about three hours and eight engines to put the fire out. Fortunately for us there is a creek that runs between our properties, and that seemed to provide a natural fire break. Nevertheless, I had two hoses running making sure our property was well saturated. 

The neighbor thinks it was some rags he left in the garage after staining his deck. Scary stuff, and I spent most of the next day making sure our whole property had debris cleaned up, roofs cleared of leaves, decks clean, etc.

Here's a shot after they had been fighting the fire for about 45 minutes:

Here is the size of the embers that were falling on the opposite side of our property:

Offline pmichelsen

« Reply #129 on: October 02, 2017, 12:11:21 PM »
Got the call on Friday from the supplier I ordered our new door through that it's finally in and ready to be picked up. The plan is to head up on the 14th and grab the door on the way up. I took the 16th - 20th off of work to give myself two weekends and a full week. I want to make sure I take my time, especially when removing the existing shingles, I'm sure I'll crack a few but I'd like to reuse as many as possible. It's always tricky trying to plan your attack when you don't really know what you'll encounter once you start taking things apart. But I've learned to buy more than I think I'll need, extras can always be returned.

Hopefully I can setup my game camera again to do a time lapse, we'll see how it goes. Really looking forward to this project being in the rear view.

Offline pmichelsen

« Reply #130 on: October 13, 2017, 08:24:04 AM »
Headed up to the property in a few hours, the fires on the road up have been pretty brutal this past week, so hopefully I can get through. It's gut wrenching to see the amount of devestation these fires has caused, and they are only ~10% contained at this point.

I took all next week off of work so that I can take my time and hopefully mix in a little r&r.

Offline pmichelsen

« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2017, 05:33:06 PM »
Well something happened during my trip that I'm just not accustomed to... the dry rot wasn't as bad as I had thought  ;D. It had eaten through the sheathing, king and cripple studs, drywall, t&g pine, baseboard, three layers of sub-floor, and one floor joist. But I was able to fix everything fairly easily, started work Saturday morning and by Wednesday evening, everything was back together. Which worked out well for me because the rain came on Thursday.

Online jsahara24

• Welcome to the CP-Forum
« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2017, 06:47:37 PM »
Looks great....nice work

Offline pmichelsen

« Reply #133 on: October 24, 2017, 08:01:21 AM »
I had to get creative when trimming out the inside, being the walls are close to 90 years old, they aren't as true as they could be. As a result the door jamb sits flush with the t&g on the interior at the top, but near the bottom the t&g is a bit proud of the jamb. To keep a consistent reveal on the jamb, I added a tampered notch to the backside of the molding. I know it's not the best approach, but I honestly don't think anyone will notice unless they're really looking for it. And you'd have to stand in the corner of the room to see it.

Here you can see I tried to keep the reveal as consistent as possible:

Here is the taper I had to cut out on the backside:

Tried to capture all of the colors that popped out when the rain started (not sure if I captured it or not, you might have to take my word that it was beautiful):

My pup wasn't a huge fan of me doing cleanup with the Bobcat, but she was a fan of the new door as a viewing spot:

Online Rys

• Welcome to the CP-Forum
« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2017, 12:23:10 PM »
Those trees are awesome!

Offline pmichelsen

« Reply #135 on: Yesterday at 10:17:47 AM »
Not sure if I mentioned previously, but that same friend of my dad's that hooked me up with the Grace ice and water shield has struck again. He owns a company that maintains cell sites in CA and OR and he is finally closing up shop and retiring. So that means a lot of the stuff he has in his warehouses are being sold off, or in this case given away...

It's a 65kW propane generator, he is also tossing in as many transfer switches I want as well as a 250 gallon propane tank. The generator was dropped at my buddy's warehouse yesterday, I told him it was on it's way but didn't tell him how big it was. He sent me that picture when it arrived asking if I was trying to power the cabin or the whole town.

Now I just need to figure out where I want to put it and get a pad poured.

Offline ChugiakTinkerer

• Building a remote cabin in Alaska
« Reply #136 on: Yesterday at 11:21:58 AM »
Wow, 65kW is a monster!  Good luck with the installation.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story