progress report

Started by Leo, July 14, 2005, 12:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo

we spent last week in KY clearing trees and doing a topo map.The septic tank is a GO and will be complete by mid august. The tree felling and clean up in the 90 degree heat was a trip then masses of chiggers came up my legs and stopped for dinner on my waist line leaving a belt of nickle ,quarter sized welts .and every door way is now a scratcing post.  The first week of august is post and pier and electric service drop week. the 3rd week in august is shell raising time with 6 to 7 bodys on hand. Once thats done running the water line and the plumbing will take priority and no more motels by labor day.then the wood stove The finish inside and out over the next year .

glenn-k

It all sounds good except the chiggers, Leo.  Keep us posted. ;D

Amanda_931

Really really hot water is my prescription for all those totally horrible chigger bites--it stops itching for me for at least a couple of hours.  If you already have one those little electronic bug welt reducers might work.  But not if you have to order it now.

for blackberry picking, I really do use bug spray of one kind or another, wear shoes and socks, and long pants.  Not your basic fun in the hot and muggy weather.   But you should be wearing boots already, maybe long pants as defense against scratches and scrapes.

Have fun.  Without chiggers!  Glad you're starting to work.

Okie_Bob

Amanda, you are correct about needing boots to pick blackberries!! Don't know about where you guys are but, down here in TX, I'd never consider getting close to blackberries without good heavy boots to help keep the snakes from biting me instead of the heavy leather! Snakes love blackberries more than I do!
Okie Bob

Amanda_931

All I was thinking of was poison ivy, chiggers, and the blackberry briars.

But snakes can be there too.  There was a big old blacksnake out in the woods the other day.  Didn't see me until about the same time as I saw it.  Don't know which of us was more startled.  I stopped, it took off.  Dogs didn't show any signs of noticing, which surprised me a bit--there's something in the night woods that drives them nuts--neighboring dog, bobcat, coyote, fox raccoon, deer, we've got them all, although well after dark sounds a little late for deer and the neighboring dog.

(Probably good that they ignore snakes--when Buster was alive, he made several trips to vets for snakebite treatment, got skunked once too--he eventually learned that toads were no fun)