Deer Run- 16x26 in Oklahoma

Started by ScottA, October 11, 2007, 03:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottA

Since I got so much inspiration from this site I thought I shoud share my project. We are just getting started. I'll update as we progress. This structure is based on the Victorias cottage but it's been changed alot. I'll try to get a plan up soon.

Here's some shots of the foundation work under way.

Scott

glenn kangiser

Thanks for the pix, Scott.  Glad you decided to share with us. :)

Nice woods there.  Should be a great place to build.  Will this be a primary residence?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

Yep this is my retirment home/cabin. Why is it when you tell your friends you are building a house you suddenly can't get intouch with them on digging days?

Scott

glenn kangiser

You need some friends who don't know why they are coming over. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Scott, when we were hand-digging out from the crawlspace  to rebuild the floor of our old house in Oklahoma, we would invite all of our friends over for a great dinner and tell them we had activities planned, so they should wear old clothes!  They were great friends because every single time they came and helped, it rained cats and dogs!  BUT they got to eat one of the best meals they'd had in ages (they were mostly grad students at the time.)  I would cook like it was Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving all rolled into one!  (If you feed them, they will come.   ;D)  Have any starving students nearby that you could recruit?   If you're close to Stillwater, just walk into the MAE department and hold up a sign that says, "Free food, follow me!"

Jens

Just make sure the beer doesn't come out until the end of the day!
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

ScottA

Looking back at corner #3 finnished 2 days ago. Poured corner #4 today.
Anyone need an oak log 16"x14' ?

Scott

MountainDon

I'd love an oak log but it's too long for UPS or FedEx   :'(   ;D ;D

I appreciate the slow hard work that goes into those holes in the ground.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

That's a nice big fairly straight Oak log.  My sawmill is lusting after it. ;D

MountainDon

I have first dibs, Glenn!

(Is that an Americanism or just something Canuks understand?)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

No - Americans understand it.  Sassy got first dibs on the top bunk when she was a kid so she could wipe her feet off on her sisters blankets as she climbed up to the top. ::)

ScottA

Not much progress this week due to crappy weather but I did get corner 4 done and the center pier on the north side.

Figured I'd sneak in this picture of the lake I took this morning. This was taken about 1/4 mile from where I'm building the cabin.

Scott

ScottA

I finaly got around to uploading a floorplan. Sorry for the delay. (updated plan shows better loft detail)

Bed sits on loft floor (7'-6" high) so you climb right into bed from ladder. Ladder tilts in/out for stowing/access. Will be a ships ladder type design. There will also be an attic storage area above the bathroom.

Veranda/deck is 5 1/2" lower than cabin floor.

Scott

glenn kangiser

Interesting -different design, Scott. :)

ListerD

Whoah! I like that!

First thing that came to mind was screening in the veranda as a sleeping porch. But done with removable screen panels so the "room" has multiple purposes. You could even make glass or plexi panels to mount there in the winter to trap some heat.
"We shape our dwellings, and afterwards our dwellings shape us" -- Winston Churchill

Homegrown Tomatoes

Scott, I like the design... different is good. :)

ScottA

Here's a couple of shots of the foundation progress I took this morning. I'm slow I know. Should be done with block work in 2 weeks if the weather holds. Leaves are really starting to come down now.

Scott

Homegrown Tomatoes

Scott, which lake are you on?  Looks like a nice place.  My folks used to own a little place at Eufala, near Belle Star Landing, but they never got around to building anything on it.

ScottA

Lake Hudson. 50 miles east of Tulsa.

Scott

Homegrown Tomatoes

Pretty part of the state over there.

Woodswalker

Scott,

Thanks for the nice pics.  Look forward to seeing more as you progress.  Your open floor plan should work well with the wood stove.  I've been heating with wood for 20yrs, and love it.  Hope you're planning some sort of window or vent for the sleeping loft area.  I've slept in lofts of cabins heated with wood, and found the heat up there to be overwhelming.  Then later, as the fire dies and your're finally asleep with no covers, the cold kicks in to wake you.  If you're on the grid, a ceiling fan would help greatly.

Nice to see you're using the really correct way of starting a foundation, with batter boards and lines.  Slow and accurate at this stage will pay big dividends later.

As for that nice oak log, you may be able to find someone locally with a portable, bandsaw type of sawmill that could saw it into some nice stuff.  Around here, they'll do it for a portion of the resulting lumber.

Keep on build'n,

Steve

ScottA

Thanks for the kind words Woodswalker. Yes, there will be a window in the sleeping loft.

Scott

desdawg

Hey Scott, I like your design. Very efficient use of a small space. I don't get into looking at these threads too often because my dial up connection takes soooo long to load the pictures. I had a Verizon wireless card for a while and it worked great-everywhere but here at my primary residence. Anyway it is good to see what you are doing.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

ScottA

Thanks desdawg. I originaly planned to do a 16x24 but after a zillion designs this was the best way i came up with to fit everything in. I needed the extra 2' to allow room for a dinning table in chairs in the center of the room without being cramped. Very little space is wasted. I thought about going to 28' but it looked like the extra footage would just be wasted space. Less to heat and cool the better around here.

Scott

glenn kangiser

Hey desdawg, there is a dial up accelerator program available if you don't already have it.  I haven't used it in so long I don't remember what it was -- yes I do - Accellanet -- or similar..  It is a little program that shrinks and compresses on both ends.  Some ISP's offer it -- it is available from outside them too though.