Septic self install

Started by texasgun, December 29, 2010, 11:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

texasgun

I installed my septic today and it was pretty easy thought I would show some pictures and give a price breakdown. It took me and 2 friends (and a couple of young off for christmas break helpers) less than 6 hours. Very good money saver for those willing to do it them selves.
750 gallon tank $600.00
panels and endplates $ 340.00
backhoe 6 hours @ 60.00= $360.00
fittings and misc $ 60.00
total less than $1400.00
original estimate to have someone install $3800 to 4100.00
The tank about 6800 pounds

Starting the dig

Hole finished

Tank set

Tank plumbed

My little helper

Laying panels

6 hours later all done
WEST TEXAS

Redoverfarm

It is good that you were able to self install.   A great savings.  I installed my own in 96 and the year after the state required that a licensed contractor be used.  ???

phalynx

In several rural counties in TX, the septic inspector is also the Sheriff.  10 acres and up are on the "honor system" of doing it correctly.  I appreciated that myself when we installed ours.  We used a plastic tank to save the weight.

HoustonDave

I'm gonna assume you used the backhoe to lift and drop that bad boy into the hole?  6800 pounds would take a lot of school vacation labor to shift!   ::)
My lakefront cabin project in East Texas
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10025.0

Squirl

My main question is how did you move the tank.  6800lbs seems a lot for a backhoe.

texasgun

"My main question is how did you move the tank.  6800lbs seems a lot for a backhoe"
Hauled it out on my trailer and truck like the picture and we removed the lid tied a chain around it and carefully put it in the hole with the backhoe in the picture. ;D
WEST TEXAS

texasgun

Quote from: phalynx on December 29, 2010, 11:41:43 AM
In several rural counties in TX, the septic inspector is also the Sheriff.  10 acres and up are on the "honor system" of doing it correctly.  I appreciated that myself when we installed ours.  We used a plastic tank to save the weight.
Thats how our county is and since I have 165 acres luckly I fall under the "honor system".  I did it to state specs to be on the safe side. I was thinking I will use the 1 toilet 3 to 4 times a month thats about 6 gallons of water monthly divided by 750 gallons and taking acount for evaparation it will  probably be 3 years befor the first drop of liquid goes into my high tec leech field  d*.

WEST TEXAS

phalynx

That leech field can hold a LOT of water.  I used the same system...

texasgun

Installed my sewer line going from barn to septic yesterday. Note  digging ditch for sewer line with backhoe is fast but be ready to install pipe before he leaves because covering that size of ditch by hand took forever. d* I finally went home after working all day getting pitch right and covering what I could and brought out my tractor 45 mile trip but well worth it. My tank sits about 90 foot from my barn instead of right by it, because thats where my cabin will be and I figured it should be closer to the tank since it will eventually get used more often. Blessed by beautiful weather in 70s last few days so I am getting all the outside work done I can.
line out of barn

85 foot of sewer line

3" sewer line coming into slow 90 fitting is from barn. 4" capped line is straight shot to cabin site.
WEST TEXAS

cmsilvay

I have never seen that type of leech field set up. What type of pipe is that? I have only seen the conventional type with multiple laterals. We need to put a new system in and my main interest is the amount of area that I my be able to keep usable with a large single lateral.

texasgun

Quote from: cmsilvay on January 01, 2011, 03:22:52 AM
I have never seen that type of leech field set up. What type of pipe is that? I have only seen the conventional type with multiple laterals. We need to put a new system in and my main interest is the amount of area that I my be able to keep usable with a large single lateral.
They are infiltrator panels they are individual panels that lock together no gravel required. Remember you must follow the requirments of your state as to how many panels are needed and they  may have a max length for each run of panels. My system is a very small system servicing only 1 toilet and no other fixtures and my soil type allows for the maximum reduction in field size. I may have to add another run of panels when I build my cabin, but the way the panels work adding on will be no problem, just add a D-box and do another run. [cool]
WEST TEXAS

glenn kangiser

Good job.  Nice to have a good example of this posted.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

texasgun

Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 01, 2011, 10:10:52 PM
Good job.  Nice to have a good example of this posted.
Thanks Glen for the compliment I felt it came out as a pretty clean install considering I had never seen a septic being installed and it should show us all that this is a place we can save some money if your state allows a self install.
WEST TEXAS

glenn kangiser

I appreciate that.

It is not real hard if the proper methods are followed, but the system protects itself by outlawing it even to capable DIYers in some areas.  The county professional inspector should at least be capable of rejecting an improperly installed system.  That is what I feel we pay them for... not to insure non-competition with professionals.

Professionals should be hired if the DIYer does not understand what is going on.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.