Chinese Drywall

Started by TexstarJim, October 16, 2009, 02:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexstarJim

During the height of the U.S. housing boom, with building materials in short supply, American construction companies imported millions of pounds of Chinese-made drywall because it was abundant and cheap. An Associated Press analysis of shipping records found that more than 500 million pounds of Chinese gypsum board was imported between 2004 and 2008 — enough to have built tens of thousands of homes. They are heavily concentrated in the Southeast, especially Florida.

The defective materials have since been found by state and federal agencies to emit "volatile sulfur compounds," and contain traces of strontium sulfide, which can produce a rotten-egg odor, along with organic compounds not found in American-made drywall. Homeowners complain the fumes are corroding copper pipes, destroying TVs and air conditioners, and blackening jewelry and silverware. Some believe the wallboard is also making them ill.
Rule #1: "Don't sweat the small stuff"
Rule #2: "It's all small stuff"

jdhen

I wonder if any of the product is still around? I was told by a developer friend not to worry about it but you just never know. 
Jesse

Woodswalker

There is a detailed article about Chinese drywall in today's Wallstreet Journal.  The federal Consumer Product Safety Commission is investigating and trying to get the Chinese to pay for some of the damage.

rick91351

I would look for a product made by the following

American Gypsum Company LLC
CertainTeed Gypsum, Inc.
CertainTeed Gypsum Canada, Inc.
CGC Inc.
Georgia-Pacific Gypsum
Lafarge North America
National Gypsum Co.
PABCO Gypsum
Temple-Inland
United States Gypsum Co.

All are members of and governed by the Gypsum Association.  Also usually all sheets on the back will give a plant and manufacturing code along with date and time.  Right now however with all the bad press I doubt you can find a sheet of Chinese sheet rock anywhere.  Sadly with the exception to that that was hung unexpectedly in innocent peoples homes and businesses.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

TexstarJim

I can't remember where I found this article, but I only copied and pasted the section above.  Interesting and scary article because homeowners are finding their insurance companies refusing to cover the cost of replacing the defective sheetrock.  Some insurance companies are going so far as to refuse renewal of the homeowner's policy if sheetrock isn't replaced, some even canceling the policies.

I doubt if any of the Chinese sheetrock is being sold, but I posted this just in case someone in here came across a "bargain" on sheetrock and it just happened to be the bad stuff.
Rule #1: "Don't sweat the small stuff"
Rule #2: "It's all small stuff"

muldoon

I read the same article yesterday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091015/ap_on_re_us/us_chinese_drywall

It looks like the majority of the drywall in question was during the housing boom starting in 2004 when their were shortages of the product and high prices on American made rock due to demand.  It looks to mostly be an issue in the southeast with the majority being in Florida.

Damn shame about those insurance companies.  My great grandfather always said it was the banks and insurance companies destroying this country, I wonder if he knew how correct and almost prophetic his words would turn out to be.  I guess since he was a farmer he saw then what we are only seeing now.