Construction flow chart.

Started by Jimmy_Cason, August 18, 2006, 09:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy_Cason

I think we should discuss the steps of construction from start to finish.
It might be a no brainer for some.
First timers like myself could sleep better at night with this knowledge.
One of my biggest worries is the nightmare that could be created if I do something before the correct time in the construction process.

Does anyone have a horror story to share about this subject?

MIEDRN

Sounds good and I wish I had something to contribute! I've been looking online for a flow chart or construction schedule to get an idea but haven't found anything.

Thanks for starting this thread.

MIEDRN

I had started developing a budget and took some of the information from it but here is a starting list.

It's listed in paragraph form to save room and I'm sure it's not in the correct order but it's a start that someone can comment on!

1. Lot or land, building permit, plans, survey, construction insurance, temporary power, excavation/sitework, drains, tile and gravel; sewer/water trench, foundation waterproofing, footings, termite and radon protection, rebar & steel, foundation floor, garage floor.
Plumbing supply lines here?

2. Framing, OSB, foam board, flashing, windows and doors, trusses. Bath enclosure may have to be installed here. Locks.

3. OSB to roof, membrane, shingles, gutters, fascia.

4. Insulation.

5. Rough electrical - cable tv, computer, television, interior and exterior electrical, smoke alarms.

6. plumbing - fixtures & supply lines.

7. HVAC.

8. Drywall and painting.

9. Exterior trim.

10. Kitchen and bath cabinets, sinks, fixtures, countertops.

11. Painting, flooring.

12. Concrete - sidewalks, etc.

Sassy

MEIDRN, looks like you've thought out the process pretty good (I don't know if they are in order but looks good  ;) )

You should ask Glenn to tell you a few stories about buildings he's erected  & how screwed up they can be - for instance, the Safeway he just did in Carmel... when other people go out of order, it sometimes makes it almost impossible to erect the steel & he has to be veeerrrry creative besides crawling in tiny spaces carrying 150-300# beams... Lots of fun  :-/

MIEDRN

It's one of the things I've been scared of too Sassy. My son tells me I'm going to be one of those "nightmare" homeowners whatever that means. At least he chuckles when he says it.

Hopefully someone will jump in here and tell me where I"m wrong. I also didn't include every step which I would like to have....hint, hint! :)

The list came off a budget worksheet and was out of order to begin with. It only took a few minutes to type it up and I'm afraid it shows! I'm here begging someone to please correct me! :)

Sassy

Isn't that a "nursing" thing?  ;)  What was the drill for giving medications?  Was it check 5 x's before giving?  So, naturally, we would carry that into our everyday life - especially building your own home!  Glenn thinks I'm a bit "****" compulsive about things, too  ;D .   I wish I could help you more, but I'm sure there are a lot of members who can...  :)

peg_688

Const. flow chart :

#1: Sit down and decide what you  , as in # of sqr.' , how many baths , garage , etc etc . Decide on a design basically , write " have to have" list , review the list as you build , people tend to want to add things as they go , keep in mind those things , almost always , will add $$$ to the project.

#2: Go to your local building dept , if one is going to be involved (the one you'll be dealing with when you build ) ask how many sets of plans they will be requiring , generally at least 3 , some  places want more.

The building dept should have a plans submission packet that will state what they need / want in advance / with your plans.  

#3 : ;) Order stated # of plan sets   from Country plans . com  ;)

#4: Review the plans when you receive them.   I'm not sure if John's plans come with a materials list  , if so you could start getting bids on the package (common name for the stuff used to build the place ).

I would not order the materials until the plans are thru / approved by the B/Dept. as there could be changes based on their review . MTL these will be slight but to avoid waste / returns right out of the gate , I'd wait , gives ya more time to shop around the package .  

#5: Contact a few companies for excavation , foundation , any trade you'll be "sub ing " out with , plumber , electrician , heating , painting , etc get bids , based on your site , your conditions . Any other pricing , IMO , is not relevant to your site / job conditions . As we have touched on BFE you very well could be building there , those factors will drive $ amts.

#6: So all most time to start to dig.  :) 

It gets easier from here on , if you ask me .  :)

#7: Dig hole , put in foundation. Don't forget "Buck outs" for doors / windows , sewer pipe , water line , gas pipe , etc depending on your conditions / needs . You may not have a foundation , think piers & posts .

If you are slab on grade , under gnd  plumbing , waste , supply , possibly elec. conduit etc

#8: Strip foundation forms . Apply foundation sealer if required/ needed.

#9: Put in perimeter drain pipes ,  drain rock then  tight line for down spouts .

#10: Back fill hole , rough grade site .

#11: Have materials delivered to site , dump load in a convenient location , not in the way , but user friendly as it can be . Not all sites are user friendly .  

#12: Frame building . Simples Eh!  ;D

#13 : Stub up any pipes /  vents. Call roofer or apply roofing . Flashing properly all projections / pipes etc .

#14: Being a owner builder this would be the time to ask for a pre inspection :-/ , if the building dept. is willing to do one :-/ . Any major mistakes will be , more easily repaired / replaced at this time  :-[. Before the plumbers , heating , and elect wiring is installed .

This is a step I avoid , as I know what most of the insp. / requirements are , unless I forget or screwed  up , hardly ever happens , I do get nickered and dimed to death by one inspector around here. He's a nice enough guy and it's his job to find fault / corrections , he's  darn good at his job thought. :o >:(

#15: Plumber/ plumbing / heating / gas piping / wood stove / gas stove / fart fan / kitchen hood,  venting is next.

#16:  Elect wiring   AFTER , step 15 is done , any  special wiring cable / phone / alarm etc .

#17: Framing insp.  :)

This is a start , no guaranties that it is complete :o , but it's close , Yes anyone who wants to add things I forgot / left out / etc can do so .  :)

Each site / job has it's own extra step / added / piece .

n74tg

I was going to mention doing the rough plumbing before the wiring, but Paul (now that we know what his real name is) beat me to it.  

It's done this way because wiring is a lot easier to snake around plumbing than the alternative.

Otherwise, you seem to have a pretty good grasp of the process.  

My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

MikeT

I found this page somewhat helpful, if nothing else than for reinforcing the basic process.  Note that it also provides a basic GANTT chart outlining the process and the timeline:

http://www.infoforbuilding.com/

Cheers,
Mike

desdawg

Step One Build the detached shop building first and the rest will be so much easier.  ;D
I always get in a lot of trouble with this one but it is what I do.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

Miedrn

I was caught in traffic today and I was thinking that I'd probably have to practice on something!

And I want something to store all the deals, reclaimed (read used, salvaged) cabinets, appliances and hardwood that I find!

Finding Habitat for Humanity here is difficult.

What about temporary power, well and septic, where does that fit in?

Amanda_931

You find out about temporary power about the time you find out how much the local utility is going to charge you to put electricity onto the place.  Early, in other words.  They don't like temporary service much here, and as a result charge extra.  You probably get to have the pole put in--I have something called a trailer pole, cost a fair amount, but the person who did it was likely to get inspection approval just because he did them all the time.

Of course, if it's going to cost $15,000 (is that what Creative 1 said?) and $30,000 (a friend here's estimate based on what the utility company told him--over a mile of wire to be strung) then it's rethink grid electricity time.

Some utility companies have weird plans--they charge a minimal fee, but you are required to pay for a lot of electricity for years and years--just like a mortgage.

My septic tank went in after the driveway, before anything else.  No need for electricity to do that!  You probably will have to have the local public health people look at your site and tell you where you can put it.  The inspector told me that I had chosen about the only place on this hill where a septic tank could be put.  Maybe not quite as scary as it could have been, it was also about the only place on the hill where I could even contemplate building.

I don't know about wells.

glenn kangiser

Wells and septic can go before or after the house as they are separate.  Elevations and clearances need to be considered.  Some areas won't allow building if a good septic system can't be made.  If water may be a problem you may want the well first also, so you will know what you are dealing with.  

A good generator can eliminate the need for temp power.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

If you get a good flow chart done--I know some project managers who should study it.   ;D

I work with some who don't have a clue.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Miedrn

According to the tax rolls on the plat map, houses are within a lot or two so I ASSUME electricity is readily available. Not sure how much it costs to bring it to my lot. They're only 60' wide or so.......so I'm hoping not too much.

I doubt they're off the grid there. Unfortunately, not too many people here are  into it. Some in the thumb area are going with wind power and there is a developer that has bought a large parcel just for that purpose.

I wouldn't mind going solar but after reading Glenn and Sassy's posts, I'm thinking it takes a lot of maintenance. I'll be working for the first few years and I won't have much time on certain days of the week. Before I retire, I'd like to be totally off grid but not sure if it can be done on such a small parcel.

glenn kangiser

You are right that there are things to be done to keep off grid working.  No matter what, off grid will probably not be cheaper than on grid for some time to come but it is fun and satisfying.