20 X 40 1.5 log cabin - our latest pictures

Started by chatycady, August 18, 2006, 09:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatycady

Here is a couple of pictures. We hope to finally have it all enclosed this weekend. Rain rain go away..... I'm building a cabin today!

chatycady

More

Sassy

What a lovely cabin - makes me daydream of lazy days sitting on the porch in a rocking chair reading a good book, watching the grandchildren play...  lightening bugs in the evenings... it just has a good feel to it!  8-)  :)

Amanda_931

Got part of the roofing on!

and, yes, porches are good.

Way to go.

chatycady

THanks for the encouragement.
I had a little accident today and ended up in the back of the ambulance and under thx x-ray machine. These projects are fun, but I have to remember I'm 50 not 20! I'm really bummed out, cause it will be awhile before I can get back to work!!! :'( :'( Please everyone take heed,,,,, this is a dangerous occupation,,, and no matter how careful a person is... things happen.

MIEDRN

I hope you're doing okay and sorry to hear it.

Kind of a rude awakening being 50, isn't it? I've always thought I could do anything I wanted to until a mower whipped me into a tree. It's a joke now in the family.

"Hey Mom, wanna mow my lawn on Sunday?"

"Nana, you're coming over? Yippee.....just stay away from the lawn, ok?"

LOL ;D

Truly though I was a little depressed after it happened. Made me realize I'm not 20 anymore either........and who the heck would be whipped into a tree? :)

Hope everything is now ok. What happened if you don't mind my asking?

Getting back to your log home - are you using a kit? It's really pretty.

glenn-k

Sorry to hear about the accident, chatycady.

Hope things get better soon.

Sassy

Hi chatycady... I'm,to am so sorry to hear you hurt yourself  :'( - the 'ole body just doesn't recover as well as it used to... we just went to my baby brother's 50th b-day party last night... makes you feel old - was talking to a friend I went to high school with - she has 2 yrs to go until her 40th class reunion, Glenn & I have 3 years...  :o my oh my!  I twisted my knee at Glenn's family reunion a couple weeks ago...   :(

When we 1st started building the cabin, I don't know how many times I slipped on a loose rock or slippery clay mud & down I'd go  :-[ on our steep hills - never broke anything, but had a few scrapes & bruises.  One time I was putting wheelbarrel loads of dirt on a 4:12 pitch part of the roof & raking it.   Glenn was across from me digging with the backhoe.  He said he looked over there & wondered "why is Kathy taking a nap over there?  Or is she just trying to get a tan?"  Then he called over to see if I was ok when he realized I had slipped on the plastic & fallen - I was laid out flat... there was about a 12 ft drop to the ground below about 3-4 feet from where I landed  :o !  I could tell you a lot more stories - seemed like for about 2 yrs there, it didn't matter whether I was at our place in the valley or up at the cabin - if someone was going to hurt themselves, it was me!  :( never seriously, though...  :)

Again, hope you are feeling better - it's so frustrating when you can't do the things you want to do!

CREATIVE1

At least you got hurt while accomplishing something--though hopefully not too bad?

Earlier this year I was washing dishes while standing on a foam mat.  Dribbled a little dish soap on it, spun around with a dish in my hand, slipped in a SPECTACULAR fall and chipped part of my front
tooth with that stupid dish.  All bruised, hurt my tailbone.  Ice pack on the mouth, felt like a total idiot.  

Talked to one of my friends yesterday, a muralist who always works on scaffolding. She tripped on a shoe in her house and broke her foot.  They may need to put in metal pins.  

chatycady

Thanks for all the well wishes.  ::) ::)

I was working on puttin in the basement steps. and  craulwed up the ladder to the main floor when The ladder slipped out from under me, and  I fell 9' and landed on top of the ladder, that's what hurt,  on the baement floor below. Sliced my finger to the bone and broke it,,,, and they found a small hair line fracture in my knee,,,, somewhere. I can still get around as I don't need a cast, but what a bummer. I'll be okay.  But it's hard to sit here with my leg in a brace and the sun is shining,,,, and not raining any more.

:-?

chatycady

Midern;

No it's not a kit. We got the logs out of Cassville, Wisconsin. I ordered the log seal and log hog screws off the internet. My son-in-law started stacking them one by one.... It's much cheaper than a kit. These are square logs, flat on all sides.

I think we are going to name it Camp Caddy-Du-Wack!

Chaty.....

Sassy

Ouch!  That sounds like it hurt!

Years ago I had climbed up a ladder, I think to get my 4 y/o son out of the tree he had climbed, the ladder wasn't on real even ground... anyway, it fell out from beneath me, I, too, fell on the ladder & rocks around the tree... and I wonder why I have aches & pains & lots of arthritis!  What with sports & all the falls - I had a physical therapist ask me if I'd been a professional wrestler in the past  ;D

CREATIVE1

A little deer cheer

Amanda_931

Glad you're not in a cast.  Casts and summer don't get along well.  At all.

Get all better soon!

desdawg

I really like the rustic look of that cabin. Heal and drive on! I missed my 40th class reunion this summer. I am in AZ and the reunion was in northern Montana and I just couldn't get away. My cousin attended her 40th last year and she said "Joe, some of those people there were so old....." Go figure. I am 58 going on 100. I need at least that much time just to finish the projects I have started.

jraabe

Chatycady:

Best wishes on healing up the older body...  :)
The cabin is looking great :D

(All our misfortunes become the basis of the great stories we will tell in the future.)

MB25ACRES

I was just wandering what it cost for the basement. looks great. sorry you got hurt. the logs i am assuming your walls are 6 inches thick. thanks Mike

chatycady

About $8400 for the cement and labor.  I am still waiting on the excavation bill, which should be around 2500, so around 10K for the total.

MB25ACRES

Just checking did you have. all of the basement hired out or ??? Thanks Mike

chatycady

Yes, all was hired out, we had to tear down the old fishing cabin, so dismantled everthing in it first, then they pushed it over and burned and carried off a bunch of junk..

There is no additonal footings, etc, needed for a 20X40, so just the basics. Plus we had an existing septic and drain field. We will have to have a sewage pump in the basement to pump up to the septic tank, but that is much cheaper than digging a new system.

Hope that helps.

Chaty ::)

MB25ACRES

Chaty that is great help. thank you very much. Mike

chatycady

MB25ACRES

(There is no additonal footings, etc, needed for a 20X40, so just the basics. )

OK, HERE goes more questions. did you uce the footings from the fishing cabin? or let me say what I think you did then you can correct me.
i think you had a fishing cabin that you tore down, had all foundation footings walls remved. Then had it excavated so that you would have a basement which you did not have on previous. you hired contractor who
poured footings, and contracor using his forms poured basement. please be patient with me thanksMike

chatycady

You are correct. There were no footings to speak of for the old fishing shack.... It was held up with telephone poles pounded in the ground....

We hired to have it torn down, etc. .... just as you stated.
:)