An open flame is an open flame, no?

Started by FrankInWI, October 21, 2006, 09:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankInWI

An open flame is an open flame, no?  
While cooking my eggs this morning I was suddenly struck by a question.  I have in my family room in the basement a UN-vented natural gas heater.   When the building inspector came through he explained these wern't legal in my town (although many are sold at local farm/home store) but he kind of let me know he would ignore it.  
I have seen much support here for the viewpoint of those non vented heaters not being a good idea.  I still use it, but don't allow us to sleep with it on.  My judgement's not the best on this, my 16 year old is our safety captain (hunting et al), as I tend to ignore too many safety issues.
HERE IS THE STARTLING THOUGHT THIS MORNING: I'm looking at my oven.... I cook up a storm on top and in the over.  Many pizzas at over 450 degreee to ward off teen starvation, etc.  I wear out my ovens, they end up falling apart (usually the oven door is the first to go).......and all these gas ovens ARE NOT VENTED!  What's the difference?  Quantity of burn and length of time?  That seems a little suspect to me.
Thanks!
Trying to stay warm in Wisconsin.

jraabe

Yes, most gas stoves are not vented... They often have a hood and fan but sometimes these do not go outside.

CO is the primary concern: see - http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/consumer/09939.html. This isn't normally a big problem when a heater or stove is working properly. But there can be equipment problems as the article points out. Stoves are not as likely as heaters to be used continuously and that is why the later is a bigger concern.

Two other concerns are moisture buildup and gas leaks. A basement location could be especially dangerous if you are using propane rather than natural gas. Unlike NG, propane is heavier than air and a leak can pool in a basement and explode where a NG leak will float away if there is ventilation.

Also dangerous are unvented kerosene space heaters such as Aladdin (ring wick) type units.

Good ventilation (crack windows on opposite sides of the room) is the simple way to provide safety - but, the problems will likely happen on the coldest night of the year when the heater stays on and windows are closed.

Get a $25 CO and smoke detector if you will be using such appliances. It can save lives.