My cabin inside a metal barn

Started by texasgun, December 11, 2010, 11:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

texasgun

I thought I would post pictures of this years progress on my cabin site. I decided that I would build my projects over a period of time to spread the costs out. If anyone has any questions please ask and I'll try to answer.

WEST TEXAS

texasgun

Next is a covered picnic area

After getting the barn and picnic area done I ran electrical and water everywhere I thought I might need it now or in the future and built the pump house .

WEST TEXAS

muldoon

nice work so far. Your going to be happy for a long time with that effort. 

Looks like you do not have any shortage of mesquite for bbq'ing. 

buster

Nice setup. Keep the pictures comming.

John Raabe

Nice to see a project where steel is used. Sure increases the spans!
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Texas Tornado

w* to the forum here!
Where bouts you building?
Hey barns can be nice places to sleep  ;D

texasgun

Next I finished the pump house and added insulation, osb walls, and lights

Then I moved on to the inside of barn and started putting up studs on ceiling and walls

WEST TEXAS

texasgun

All these wall and ceiling studs took me awhile since its usually just me and I only have 3 days off each week from my job.

Here is as far as I have gotten on ceiling hopefully I can get one of my friends to help me hang the center part

Never did pex before but it did not take me long to get the hang of it.

Apollo tools and fittings

WEST TEXAS

texasgun

This week I have been sheetrocking the bathroom and will be finishing the rest of the barn walls with 7/16 osb.

I remember this started when I told my wife " I think I'll put a toilet in the barn when I build it"  (that way I will have it while I build the real cabin). Like most of my projects it evolved from something simple into a major project that has ate alot of time and lots of money. d* But like I always say we only live once. (and we will always make some more money)
WEST TEXAS

texasgun

Quote from: muldoon on December 11, 2010, 12:49:41 PM
Looks like you do not have any shortage of mesquite for bbq'ing. 
Thats for sure and I do just that quite often, you sound like you might know something about real BBQ [hungry]
Quote from: Texas Tornado on December 11, 2010, 10:34:15 PM
w* to the forum here!
Where bouts you building?
West Texas out by Robert Lee
WEST TEXAS

Texas Tornado

Pics lots of pics!!! We love lots of pics :)
How are you attaching the wood to the metal?
Irene

texasgun

Quote from: Texas Tornado on December 12, 2010, 06:53:19 AM
Pics lots of pics!!! We love lots of pics :)
How are you attaching the wood to the metal?
Irene
3" large wood to metal self tapping screws like you would use for trailer floorboards and a craftsman 19.2 inpact driver.Pressure treated 2 x 4 bottom sills all the way around the barn for the walls to sit on,then the osb is nailed to the wall and ceiling studs with a finish nailer (1/4" osb on ceiling 7/16" for walls)
WEST TEXAS