Our 20 x 34 1-1/2 story cabin in Michigan

Started by mogie01, July 30, 2010, 12:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajbremer

Saturday - October 1st, 2011 Oklahoma, USA

Mogie01, it's all fantastic, we are going with the log siding also.

Wow, it's more expensive than I thought. I think you mentioned that it was $3.36 per lf? I tried to calculate that cost in my head and I'm guessing that all of your 3 x 8 handhewn white cedar half logs cost more than $4,000.00? (I didn't calculate in the openings, I'm just guessing).

By the way, I read through your whole thread this morning, you guys have done a great job. Your husband seems like he's already been doing this building stuff for awhile. Thank you and please let me know about the cost of the siding.
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

CjAl

Quote from: mogie01 on September 06, 2011, 05:12:58 PM
Pritch, here is our layout.  We aren't exactly set on what kind of stairs to have, torn between spiral or steep winder.

i know you said.interior.isnt done.but i would really appreciate seeing pics of the downstairs rooms to get a feel for the size. Looks lime the bedroom would be a queen size bed max, bathroom.looks plenty big. Mabey rob a coup feet from the bathroom for the bedroom.

mogie01

Quote from: ajbremer on October 01, 2011, 05:39:48 AM
Saturday - October 1st, 2011 Oklahoma, USA

Mogie01, it's all fantastic, we are going with the log siding also.

Wow, it's more expensive than I thought. I think you mentioned that it was $3.36 per lf? I tried to calculate that cost in my head and I'm guessing that all of your 3 x 8 handhewn white cedar half logs cost more than $4,000.00? (I didn't calculate in the openings, I'm just guessing).

By the way, I read through your whole thread this morning, you guys have done a great job. Your husband seems like he's already been doing this building stuff for awhile. Thank you and please let me know about the cost of the siding.

Are you sitting down AJbremmer, the cost of the siding (1200 sq ft), the D-log window and door trim, the 4 corner logs and the 1 x 6 rough sawn cedar (120 sq ft) for the soffits cost $9,000.  The pine log siding is cheaper but we decided to go with the cedar.

mogie01

Quote from: CjAl on October 01, 2011, 07:20:58 AM
i know you said.interior.isnt done.but i would really appreciate seeing pics of the downstairs rooms to get a feel for the size. Looks lime the bedroom would be a queen size bed max, bathroom.looks plenty big. Mabey rob a coup feet from the bathroom for the bedroom.

CJ when we go up this weekend I will take some pics of the interior.  Yeah, I think it will fit the queen size but we decided to have the larger bathroom to fit the washer and dryer in and have some storage room too. 

mogie01

We decided to box in the ends of the porch with log railings, the stairs at the end of the porch will be moved to the sliding glass doors at the back of the cabin temporarily until we build a deck.  We built stairs at the front of the porch and plan on staining them this weekend if the weather holds up.

We also have the electrical, plumbing and mechanical inspections this Friday, wish us luck!

CjAl

I believe i am stealing your floor plan. You know what they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  :)

mogie01

Quote from: CjAl on October 04, 2011, 10:34:55 PM
I believe i am stealing your floor plan. You know what they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  :)

Thanks CjAl, that's why I love this site, it gives you a chance to see what others have done and how it might work for you.  Glad you like the foorplan :)  I'll be sure to take some pics of the inside this weekend.

metolent

It's really looking great!  Good luck with the inspections! 

ajbremer

Thank you for letting me know about the price of that log siding. My first calculation, in my head, was $6,000 but I thought I was too high so I thought I would take it down to $4,000. Wow, $9,000! Is it considered 'high maintenance'? I mean do you have to treat it with something a few times a year? I saw some log siding at Lowe's (it was on a rotating wooden stand for display and had to be ordered) and it was around $1.69 a linear foot and I think it was 3"x8" pine...not sure.

Thanks for all your pics and post, their inspiring to say the least.
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

CjAl

Its cedar, that the reason for the $9k. Pine would be alot cheaper. Any wood like that you will need to reseal every few years. Cedar can be.left to weather and not treat it. It turns gray and cedar is more resistant to rot then most. Pine you will have to retreat every few years. I like a clear finish but thats usually a two year finish

mogie01

Spent another busy weekend at the cabin.  We had the plumbing and mechanical inspector out on Friday, we missed a couple of small things which we have fixed already and hopefully he'll be back this week to check.  The electrical inspector came today and we passed :)  One more inspection to go, structural, after that we can have it insulated.

We finished the stairs at the front and stained them.  The stairs at the side have been removed and we plan on using them temporarily at the back of the cabin.

CjAl I took a few pics of the inside.  I couldn't get a good angle though so I had my husband measure the rooms.  The bedroom is 13' x
9'5" with a 5' x 2'6" closet.  The bathroom is 9'4" x 9'10".

View of the bedroom

Bathroom

My husband built a small box to go over the well.  We plan on using the cabin in the winter and want to make sure it doesn't freeze.  He insulated inside the box and if it gets too cold plans on putting a light inside to keep it warm.

View of the new stairs

mogie01

Our final rough-in inspection is scheduled for Monday, wish us luck!!  Then comes the insulation.  ;D  We already have a quote of $3400 - that covers foam in the roof and blown in cellulose for the walls.

mogie01

We passed all of our inspections  :)  The insulation will be installed this week and then we have to get it inspected.  Once that happens we can work on finishing the inside.  We plan on starting with the bathroom.

the porch light installed

railing up and side stairs gone

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

mogie01

Our insulation is in and passed the inspection.  We installed the baseboard heaters to keep the place warm while we work over the winter.  It's amazing how toasty the cabin stays now. We picked up some tile, backerboard and pine t&g for the bathroom.  We were able to get the backerboard done, then installed a jetted bathtub we had purchased and tested out the tankless water heater.    The place was in a bit of a mess and becoming hard to find things so we took some time to clean up in preparation for working on the bathroom next weekend.

TheWire

Looking good!.  What are you going you finish the walls with?

mogie01

Quote from: TheWire on November 01, 2011, 09:02:05 PM
Looking good!.  What are you going you finish the walls with?

TheWire, we plan on using pine t&g on the walls.

texasgun

Is that a red neck tub filler hanging over the tub? You know if you attach a rain spray end designed for gently watering flowers and use bailing wire to hold it high it makes a great showerhead. Dont ask me why I know this d* The cabin looks great  [cool]
WEST TEXAS

mogie01

Quote from: texasgun on November 03, 2011, 11:36:54 AM
Is that a red neck tub filler hanging over the tub? You know if you attach a rain spray end designed for gently watering flowers and use bailing wire to hold it high it makes a great showerhead. Dont ask me why I know this d* The cabin looks great  [cool]

Lol, thanks Texasgun.   :)

mogie01

Worked on the cabin this weekend.  We installed pine t&g on the bathroom walls and ceiling.  Next comes the tile on the floor and tub surround, then the trim work.

mogie01

This weekend we tiled the bathroom, my husband even trusted me with the tile saw :).  We think that we'll be able to use the cabin this winter now that it has a functioning bathroom.  Next weekend will be grouting and some trim work.

Sassy

noklu

Quote...We think that we'll be able to use the cabin this winter now that it has a functioning bathroom...

My, my How spoiled we have gotten these days... I grew up on an old farm with NO indoor plumbing! We would run to the "outhouse" whack the toilet seat to knock the ice down the hole before we would sit on it!
Not that I would WANT to do it again but could if necessary.

Sassy

We had an outhouse for about a year while building our cabin, before we got a real toilet - didn't have problems w/ice but Glenn did warn me that black widow spiders liked to build webs underneath   [scared]

I do remember getting a lot of exercise - it was about a 150ft trek up a dirt road...  for a long time we didn't have any walls, just gazed out over the valley below...   :D

noklu

Wyoming winters were 25 below at times, so ice built up on the seat in a fine layer and COLD!