Trusses

Started by ShellyShelly, March 22, 2005, 07:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShellyShelly

I just had a consultation with a truss designer for the Victorias cottage and was wondering about the general opinion on going with trusses versus conventional framing.
It seems the biggest draw back may be loosing the neat higher ceiling feel given from the beam for the upstairs.
Anyones thoughts on this would be great... from cost efficiency to aesthetics!
Thanks Shelly
For those interested.... the package with crane placement would be about 2,300.00

borgdog

My question would be what does it do for the space upstairs?  Are you putting sissor trusses on top of the knee wall or attic trusses for the whole second floor/loft?  or???  

JRR

Have you priced the materials needed for the conventional framing scheme?

Amanda_931

I'm not big on exposed beams.  Either because it's bad feng shui or because I once worked for a builder who thought that artificial foam ones added class to his incredibly cheap houses.  Maybe both.

Sometimes trusses are less expensive.  You don't have to do much in the way of figuring.  You don't waste wood when you cut wrong.

I hadn't seen attic truss designs until people mentioned them here.  But I assume that our local truss manufacturer can make them.

Don't think I've ever been in a house with scissors trusses.  They're a wondeful idea.  But is there a visual disconnect between the two slopes, inside and outside?

Consider the manufactured rafters.  They can be very wide--lots of insulation room, use very little lumber, have nice load ratings, give you the same slope inside and out.

But I think they get to be cut on site.  Probably really a nuisance to replace if you screw a couple up.

Greenbank

Drat, just the other day I saw a photo of an interior with exposed scissors trusses. Now if I can one remember where.

Daddymem

Amanda_931

Standard post and beam rafters, with a shed roof for the windows on the left side?

We did see the outside of that building.--locate it from the fireplace.  

If I've got it rightI think there must be a window upstairs just behind the wall with the fireplace.  And the main entrance on the right side of the photograph.

"long cottage" topic?

ShellyShelly

The truss design was for attic trusses to get the loft space, which seemed like pretty nice space. I need to price out what conventional rafters would cost but the truss designer thought the trusses would be much cheaper, especially given the labor for the 12/12 pitch.
Thanks!

spinnm

Kinda depends upon where you are.

Lots of people here live in the NW and SE.  Lumber mills all over.  Trees everywhere.

Here in the SW, trusses are always cheaper.  And, nice straight stuff to use for rafters is hard to find.  Gotta go to the small independant lumber yards who have found a niche....and pay a premium for it.

borgdog

Yes, mills and trees all over here in the great NW, but getting 2x12's straight enough for rafters is getting harder, many have switched to TJI's for rafters as well as floor joists.  Straighter, lighter, easier to put up, only difference is finishing the eaves especially if you want exposed rafter tails.

jraabe

The detail I use for eaves is to plumb cut the TJI and then sister on a 2x6 for the eave extension. Then do some cedar T&G for the sheathing (mill it down or taper it to match the OSB if the roofing is thin) at the extension and leave it all exposed.

borgdog

Hadn't thought of cedar t&g, I'll have to remember that one.  I really do like the look of the beefy 2x12 rafter tails though, might even be easier to sister on, all it takes is money as usual   ::)

theron

Hey all, I'm new here but am going through some of the same thoughts and worries.  Luckily, I have a wife that insists on attic space, making the attic trusses the only option.  You might want to check out the HGTV website.  Their dream house for this year has some beautiful exposed scissor trusses (granted, on a much grander scale) but the look is truly impressive and, I think, would scale down to a cottage nicely.  I would imagine with glulams they could be spaced out far enough that the overall cost would not be horrible.

Theron

Shelley

Yep, you're right as long as you don't overdo the ornamentation.

One of our speciality yards here that produce corbels, vigas, beams and such has gone to making engineered, decorative trusses.  If you KISS, they're quite affordable.
It's a dry heat.  Right.

Amanda_931

Those Scissors trusses in the master bedroom are nice.  As is the ceiling.  And the scale is a little smaller than the one in the great room.  But you can get here from the link below.  Not sure if it is enough to make me change my mind about exposed beams, but it's impressive.

This link is to the (thirty foot high!) great room, also with what looks like custom forged hardware on the trusses.  Right slow loading, and then you can play with your mouse to see the floor and the ceiling.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt_947/text/0,1783,HGTV_19176_26884,FF.html