20x40 Universal Cottage w/ basement

Started by John Raabe, February 25, 2009, 03:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

Ben (Spyke) sent an email with some photos today. He is building an extended version of the Universal Cottage with the truss roof and a full walkout basement. I will post these photos and allow Ben to update his project further as it moves along.

Siding going up.

Upper side

Daylight basement side
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Spyke

Just wanted to show everyone what I have been doing here in Illinois.

This is the 2nd house I have built using John's plans. The first was a little 12x30 little house with a loft. I started this project in Nov of 07. I have basically done it all alone with a little help here and there. Of course the basement was contracted out. At this point I am finishing the inside and hope to move in in the next few months. If all goes well, I should be living mortgage free by the summer. I had no idea when I found countryplans 10 years it would change my life like this. I really doubt I would have ever tried to build the first house without John and his site.

More pics to follow. I think this is one of the largest homes (2400sf) built using John's plans.

I am happy to answer any questions from others on the site and happy to help you guys out in any way I can!
Built 12x32 little house

Sassy

Looks great, Spyke!   8)  Was wondering how many sq ft the house was & you answered it!  How long have you been working on this house?  What was your building experience before starting the 1st Little house you built?  Do you have any pix of that?

Looking forward to seeing more pix!  What an inspiring story  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

That's great Spyke.  The rafters look like they are rather extra heavy?  Just noticing the tails.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Spyke

Sassy, Before I built the little house I had never really built anything except for shelves, book cases and maybe a dog house.

Rafters are just stock 20 footers from Menards, made from 2x4s. I boxed in the tails with 2x8s and distressed them with a hand plainer. Trying to get them to look like big old beams....
Built 12x32 little house