Z-Flashing

Started by mboehler, August 31, 2006, 07:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mboehler

We're about to start building our cabin and we're going to use T-111 (or T1-11, whichever it is) for the siding.  I've been trying to locate some z-flashing (z-bar) to use in between the upper and lower panels, but can't find any locally.  All the lumber yards around Bowling Green, KY say they don't carry it any more because most people now use vinyl or hardiplank siding.

Does anyone know where else I should look to find some?

Thanks!
Mark

JRR

Our local Ace hardware has a lumber yard (... not all do).   I find z-flashing there.

CREATIVE1

I don't like Z-flashing!  Our T-111 rotted both above and below it (and nowhere else), so now we have hardiplank.  Some others have simply overlapped the siding, which looks a little weird but might hold up better. Are there any other options out there?

John Raabe

None of us are as smart as all of us.

Amanda_931

My house in Nashville had the overlap--no z-flashing on the two gable ends.  No problems there.

(probably a layer of something to shim out the upper part of the house so the T1-11 would lie flat)

PEG688

Major failure point is a cut edge sitting right on top of the Z metal . Try to either put a factor edge , pre primed , better yet add your own primer over the factory's primer and extend that primer up the back side of the T1-11 about 6" .

The lower peice is the next failure point although not as bad / easy to rot. A cut edge should be primed if at all possible.

Plywood / OSB absorb moisture / water along unsealed edges  :o  

I avoid the Z metal by over lapping when ever possible , some plans / situations do not allow / lean towards this method.  Then the above method is second best.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

mboehler

We are going to stain basically the entire piece of T1-11, including the fronts, sides, and backs.  That way there is less chance of water absoption.  I don't think there's an Ace Hardware around here, but I'll check.  Other than that, the only place I've found is online, and there is a 50 piece minimum order.  I only need 10 pieces... LOL

Thanks!
Mark

Amanda_931

IIRC Ace hardware is something on the order a buying group, with advertising help, etc., so that the individual stores are as different as they want to be.

An Ace Hardware is the only hardware store in the nearest town, sometimes with odd things like the 10 or 12 inch plastic culvert tiles, half built up trailer poles, but until quite recently no 2x4's.  Lots of ice cream, though.

But I think that there really is at least one Ace hardware in Bowling Green KY.

True-Value seems to work the same way.  

Kevin

homr depot and lowes carry it here.
kevin

mboehler

Well, the guy at Home Depot said to try Lowe's, 84, or one of the local guys, Hill-Motley.  Lowe's didn't have it.  Hill-Motley said they used to have it, but since everyone switched to using vinyl or hardi siding, they stopped carrying it.  84 doesn't have it, doesn't know where to get it.  I finally stopped by Carter Lumber and they had lots of it!

So now I can get started!

Thanks everyone,
Mark

Kevin

I got mine at Home depot. It is in the gutter section of the store. They only had 5/8. The Pro desk might be able to order you some.
Kevin

John_M

If you know some who has a brake, you can bend the metal yourself, I would think?
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!