Contemporary Design Ideas or Links?

Started by MIEDRN, August 27, 2006, 03:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIEDRN

I've poured over the forum for hours looking for contemporary design ideas. The closest I could come up with is a previous thread with ideas similiar to the Glide House. I like the simplicity of the interiors in that but as pointed out before, it is expensive.

I have a problem visualizing what shed roofs would look like on the plans or how to connect them without looking awkward.

I had this idea! :)

I can ALMOST visualize a plan about 28 to 30 feet wide with sleeping and private areas elevated, maybe five steps going up to it and under the steps, storage.

Finding information on snow loads for shed roofs is difficult as well.

We have a different crowd here now as well as some of the original posters. It would seem that smaller floor plans would lend themselves well to contemporary design - but then can we still call it a cabin? :)

Here is a link to something I ran across that I like. I thought John's plans could be customized to look like this :

http://www.simplehome.com/rr-2.html

glenn-k

That looks like 2 little houses with shed roof connected by a breezeway.

You could just take your plans to a local engineer or architect for him to size the joists for your snow load.  Unlike a steep roof that may shed some of the snow, a shed roof  that is pretty flat has no choice but to carry all of it.

The local professional comes in to be sure you size it heavy enough for what you may encounter.  If you guessed and missed then that snow could be in bed with you -- you could be the "Ice Queen." -- (from an Aussie TV comedy - Kath and Kim - Kim playing hard to get).

Amanda_931

That does almost look like some of the designs coming out of Northern--tropical--Australia.  Although the window placement looks a bit odd, not suiting both bedrooms for most climates or seasons.  

Might need an engineer to look at those windows in the corners as well, from what John says--it's awfully nice to have the corners really well braced.  It can be done, we see it all the time, but....  

Some of my prejudices are activated by that design as well.  These probably aren't the same as yours.  And, for instance, I have read articles and books where architects praise different levels for floors as well as ceilings as being great for differentiating areas in a small house.  

Cold climate--fireplace on the outside wall.  Must have, if you have friends with mobility problems, that second toilet--they can to be pretty expensive.  Would be a screaming pain to rearrange if you yourself ended up in a wheelchair, even briefly.  AND FURTHERMORE some of us--not just me--dislike kitchens that are on stage from any place in the living room.

And for expense, there's a lot of foundation to put in.  (Square is probably the cheapest, unless you know someone used to doing circles--and for the most part 1 1/2 or 2-story works too, although sometimes they do require a heavier foundation)

Might want to look at Frank Lloyd Wright's Usonian houses--preferably in person.  They were not large, in the one I saw, the original kitchen looked best suited for someone who only heated food in a microwave oven--which hadn't been invented when the house was built.  And Wright had problems with his huge cantilevered roofs.  The one that extended to be a carport for the house in Florence Alabama--not exactly the snow capital of the world--sagged badly over the years.

This book seems like it's pretty good (there is a book on Usonian houses that is probably worth studying, but the plans are small enough to be blurry even with a magnifying glass and it has a lot of original black and white and very period looking pictures--exactly what made me wonder why Wright was considered great).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0810946262/102-4565289-9806560?v=glance&n=283155

A real find would be a couple of years worth of Dwell magazines at a yard sale, conceivably they're even kept a largish library.  Although they've been getting a bit greener in the last couple of years, since I let my subscription lapse.

(what do I want for myself--more or less in order, green, easy to build and live in, room for books etc., dog and cat friendly, wouldn't object to suitable for a guest or three.)  

CREATIVE1

I don't know if you would consider this "modern", but it is streamlined and could have a much different look depending on the choice of materials Link: http://www.archwaypress.com/  It packs alot of drama into less than 1000 sq. feet.

Scenic Vacation Home
Plan No. HYG-4604
The view of this vacation cabin is as irresistible as the vacation scene it looks out upon. Vertical siding frames broad expanses of glass that sparkle across two stories. Elevated wooden decks create terrific vantage points on both levels. And the stacked, sloping roofs give the whole house a jaunty air. Inside, relaxed living revolves around the open living/dining area, with its circular center hearth. The kitchen is easy to work in, with plenty of counterspace, a pantry closet and side-door access. The first-floor bedroom enjoys a convenient divided bathroom. The master bedroom is hidden away for privacy on the second floor, with its own bath and a door opening to the second floor deck. Clerestory windows line the upstairs loft, throwing light on a flexible area that can serve as a master sitting room or provide extra space for overnight guests. A stacked washer/dryer arrangement fits neatly into a hall closet.

Overall Dimensions: 30' x 25' (plus deck).
Square Feet: 598 first floor; 393 second floor.
Foundation: crawlspace.

CREATIVE1

Here's a great site that contains link after link on Frank Lloyd Wright's Usonian concepts: http://www.matttaylor.com/public/PostUsonian.htm  

CREATIVE1

Another interesting one, though the plans are VERY expensive

http://www.lamidesign.com/plans/planscat/0242/0242pg.html

jraabe

The basic concept of low slope sheds combined with decks or patios is a very good project for an easy to build expandable house.

I know that some folks have used the Little House plans with this intention as this set has shed options for roofs of all three of the cabins. No one has sent back photos however.

I would like to work up a more developed design kit for just such a complex. There are several good European examples of this type of house in some of the small house books. (Can't remember which one  :-[)

CREATIVE1

I think I got this link somewhere on Countryplans, but FYI here it is again.  http://www.edilportale.com/livingbox/eng/suggestions.asp

I spent serious time looking at more contemporary structures for my property (including the books John mentioned, I'll try to get the titles) but since I have an existing 45' pole barn with a roofline like the Victoria, a shed roofed structure just didn't seem to fit.  Also, the barn is about 25 feet tall, and I didn't want it to dwarf the house.  I needed a bedroom "wing" because the narrow road into the property is really close to where the house is to be built--didn't want to make a right angle turn (can just see the
brakes going out and--oops!)  Sun considerations also, south side of house shouldn't butt up to the trees.

Just a suggestion:  if you don't have a site yet, don't get too set on a design.  Your house needs to be compatible with its surroundings.  The old "feng shui" thing.

Amanda_931

Creative is right, site considerations are important in designing a house.  

And maybe more important than how the house looks from the road, or as you drive up (or walk up from the bus stop?)  to it, is how does the world look from it.  

Christopher Alexander phrases this something on the order of--first find the most beautiful place--gardens are nice--you can see on your land, then build your house, not in the middle of this, but so you can see it, so you can stop daily as you move around your house and think, "this is wonderful."  

Unfortunately the most beautiful place on my land is mosquito heaven.  But it has a wet weather stream with little waterfalls, in deep shade with moss-covered logs, lots of lush looking understory growth including a large stand of Christmas ferns that are so-called because they stay green all year round.  There is no good place I could build where you can see it, although trying to build in the middle of it would be worse.  What I can do is put the path to the barn past or through there.  It's barely possible that my neighbors could build a house to take advantage of the view--at the moment all they're doing is growing a crop of trees.

CREATIVE1

Perfect place for a Japanese tea house--but with screens!  Always a dream, I'm getting one soon.

Miedrn

Pardon my absence - I took a short trip home and I feel better now! :)

John,

I realize this is "country plans" but I love these houses. I've seen homes with this type of architecture here in southern Michigan. One of the articles in the links above mentioned Kalamazoo, MI but I believe there are a few scattered throughout southern lower Michigan.

In researching your site, there was mention once before of developing plans and my intention I suppose was to plant a spark! I have a vivid imagination and can  picture living in one but I can't picture the plans if that makes sense.

If you were to put something together, I would think they would be as popular as your current plans. Hint, hint! :) I'd settle for rudimentary drawings with simple instructions! I try to work it through my mind - 2x6 walls but I have a difficult time trying to come up with a site that covers snow loads for shed roofs and also window placement in such a way that it won't cost an arm and a leg.

Amanda, thanks for the reminders. Appreciate it. There are numerous parcels of land here that something like this would be suitable for but I'll keep your points in mind.

Creative, those are exactly what I am looking for. Part of it the appeal comes from being petrified of heights but I also like the simple lines and modern architecture. Thanks for the links!

Cathy

Sassy

Here's a digital video of the Frank Lloyd Wright Fall House - hope the link works...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqsk4WARk2I&mode=related&search=
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Amanda_931

I'll try to remember that the next time I'm at a free wi-fi.   :)  Because I'd like to see it.

The dial-up is incredibly [size=22]
                              s
                                       l
                                               o
                                                         w
[/size]

tonight.  I would even have thought it slow when I lived in Nashville.

(and earlier this week it was over 45k)