Front Royal VA, house size TBD

Started by JonTheArmyGuy, March 01, 2015, 09:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonTheArmyGuy

Whats up everyone my names John. I have been on this site for years just as a reader and have been inspired to build my own home as well! I am looking at property in front royal Virginia (have some family out there) and should be purchasing in the next few weeks. The land is going to be a small mountain lot probably .5 - 1 acre already perced. I am thinking about the 20x34 two story with a very open lower and upper level. I have heard that foundation costs are ruffly the same as well can anyone give me some advice? especially things to study when looking into lots to build on. any info is greatly appreciated as i am completely new to this, never been into construction but I learn things fairly quickly. will be on frequently to reply. thanks :)

Don_P

w*
I'm not sure I understand the foundation question  ??? VA is using the 2012 code, a block or poured foundation is prescriptive, just build according to the codebook tables and descriptions. Piers require engineering.

If you did what we did today, look for where the snow is gone! I prefer a south facing to a north, an east facing over a west. South can give you light and warmth in the winter, east wakes me up where west burns me up in summer as the sun hangs long and low enough to really penetrate in and overheat things. Trees can affect all of that. I like the north face in summer but it's too depressing in winter when I've gotta have some sun. No outcrops on or near a small lot. I like woods but think about whether you want a garden.

Redoverfarm

w* Entry to Skyline Drive.  Agree with Don_P but with exceptions.  Depending on where you find the land will dictate exactly where the house should be built.  Mountain land is usually not as forgiving as flat land in regards to access, septic, and well.  If you are going for an Off Grid residence then the orientation will be vital for solar array.  But then again trees will be a big obstacle in that regard unless you have a large lot that they can be removed or thinned.  I am partial to a full perimeter block or poured foundation.  Extremely steep ground might be a good location for a walk out basement.  A lot to consider but take in all the factors.

JonTheArmyGuy

Thanks for the replies guys :) I am going to be spending the weekend looking at properties and should have a few pictures of lots up by Monday. it will be hooked up to lines, although i may add some solar for the knowledge at a later point. I was wondering about the well digging though since it is mountain land, and small plots at that. what if there is not an acceptable spot on the land for a well to be dug? should I look for land that is guaranteed for what I am looking to do IE build? I have been watching some you tube videos on the subject and it seems like it is a game of chance when digging a well but I don't know. I will let you guys know what the real estate people up there tell me as I am writing down all the questions that I should be asking down.

rick91351

John, proceed with utmost caution when it comes to what a realtor will tell you.  I am not anti-realtor at all.  But often they guess without research.  Some will tell you anything to make a sale.  Others are no more than talking heads that drive you around. Some will actually do the work you are asking for.   

You can do your own research as far as setbacks and how deep wells in the area are.  As well how many gallons they  will produce.    Most of that is posted on the internet in lots of states.  You have to know for sure if a perk test has been for the septic system and what kind of system is allowed.   Setback are required so your septic system will not damage your nor your neighbors well.  They also keep you from building too close others property.  As well as too close to your well and septic so you can still do maintenance to them.

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

UK4X4

"John, proceed with utmost caution when it comes to what a realtor will tell you."

I have 10 acres of trees and no access ! so heed above

rick91351

UK4X4 makes another great point. Easements, we had had several on this forum find out gee we can not use the property we bought.  After they signed the papers.  Me, I have a dedicated easement of over a 1/4 mile road or easement on my ranch that belongs to the USFS and allows the public access to public property.  I would so love to get rid of that easement, but there is no way. So I am having to constantly go up and check and make sure the public is not camping on my property (I use to let them but because of litter and trash left no more!!!) or cutting down trees or or fourwheeling and just pain in the butt stuff like that.  So you might buy a parcel that has an easement but everyone has right to it...     

I had a realtor tell me one day when I was looking at a piece of property, which I ended up purchasing that it had water rights to a canal that ran adjacent to it.  I knew better.  Here in Idaho you can not just use water out of a stream or river or canal without water rights.  For that matter, you can not even catch rainwater legally, nor use spring water without claiming and getting rights to it.     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

JonTheArmyGuy

yeah that is definitely a whole bunch to think about. mostly I will be using the realtor as a drive around person to show me where the land is. the community is called shenendoah farms and there is 20+ lots that I am currently looking at. I did not get to go up there this weekend because of the snow and I would not be able to see the land as well with it snow covered. Yes though I will not take anything the realtor sais seriously. All my information I get I will double triple check with the sanitation and zoning departments in front royal to make sure what they are saying is true. hopefully 2-3 out of the 20 lots are already perc'd, but iff i find one that i REALLY like I may try to get the owner to perc it for me and write the expense into the deal. I dont know too much about easements but all the lots are located off of a road in the community, wich you pay a small fee for each year and they keep them up, so i will definitely have access.

Don_P

I think I would call and talk to zoning now to check on restrictions etc. I think I'd also check with them to see if the subdivision roads are built to state standards so that they could take them over in the future. What I've seen happen in communal maintenance agreements is that some members of the community fail to pay their share and then the agreements either fall apart or it has to be enforced, it isn't pretty either way. If the roads are built to where the county can take them over then that is a possibility. The same is true of easements although it doesn't sound like there are any. I have a neighbor with an easement across me. They seem happy to use the road that I maintain, it gets old. Sale contingent on perc and water would be a good idea, with small closely space lots on wells I'm always suspect of the water quality over time.