Small cabin in Garrett County, Maryland

Started by jstig, June 01, 2008, 08:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jstig

Hi all,

I have been reading this forum for several years now and have participated now and then but mostly just soaking in all the good knowledge here.  I am ready to build now so I will be more active here.  I own 3 acres of woods in Grantsville, Maryland at the end of a 2 mile dirt road (Peapatch Lane) on Peapatch Ridge.  The land is walking distance from the Savage River State Forest (55,000 acres of state owned land) with beautiful mountains, wildlife, forests, etc.  Its about 15 miles from Deep Creek Lake which is developed with expensive mc mansions and all the amenities that goes with that.  Luckily I cant afford to buy anything there! 

I am going to build one of John's little houses - 10 x 14 or 12 X 18 and have recently bought his plans.  The property is off the grid about 1/2 mile from the nearest utility pole and I dont intend to bring in power anytime soon.  My idea is to build a camping cabin for weekend enjoyment and someday build a larger cabin with utilities and plumbing.  I checked with the county permit office and I dont need a permit if I build something 240 sq ft or smaller without plumbing or electricity.

I am still working on the design - basically one room with sleeping loft and built in seating/bed on main level with a camping kitchen and a table - perhaps a foldaway table - and a deck for outside living.  I am thinking a shed roof with maybe a 6/12 slope so I can have a loft on the high side.  I really like a cabin I saw here in the referral topics and have gotten some ideas from that.  Its at this site:

http://materialicio.us/2008/01/03/the-shack-at-hinkle-farm-jeffery-s-broadhurst/

Pictures of my land and Peapatch Ridge are on Photobucket:

https://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f50/jstig/Peapatch%20Ridge/?albumview=grid&fullsize=Lockedgate1mileintoPeapatchLane.jpg

I will post my design when I finally get it down on paper.

Thanks for all the inspiration that abounds on this site and hopefully patience because I am sure I will have about a thousand questions when I get started!

Jim

Redoverfarm

Jim been through Grantsville a couple of times.  Used to live in WV across from Oldtown just east of Cumberland. Made several trips across Rt 68 I think. It used to be old Route 40 when I traveled there.

You might try using something such as a Murphy Bed to maximize your space.  There are several things you can do to maximize the storage area without giving up much footprint. 

Not real sure how much room you would have in a 6/12 with that small of a cabin. You might try to draw it up to scale it to get a better idea.  You won't need much to lay down but you have to be able to get to the bed.  You might try to increase it to 8/12 or 10/12 to make it a little more comfortable.

Deep Creek has really grown over the years.  But that it like any other resort area.  Here I have Snowshoe and they have driven up the price not only on their own little mountain but out into the community as well.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

John

jstig

John,
Thanks for the response.  Deep Creek has grown lately (too much I think) but the rest of the county is still very much rural and undeveloped.  I was thinking of the loft for the grandkids but u are right i should draw it up and see how much space there is.  Its going to be a shed roof so on the 12 foot cabin it will be 6' on the high side and in the 10' cabin - 5' on the high side.  But of course it will slope down and access has to be considered.  A murphy bed is a great idea.  In fact I saw one here in another cabin I like:

http://materialicio.us/2007/11/19/clara-cabin-bryan-meyer-and-anne-ryan/

Jim

glenn kangiser

You could also extend the sidewalls with taller studs and drop the loft bottom to 7 feet for more room if you wanted.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

karnf

Hey Jim,
Welcome to the forum of building your retreat. I too have property in Garrett County. We have nine acres
in Oakland in Tanglewood and have been scratching our heads on what to build for the past five years.
We want to build a 12x20 shed for non permit purposes for we are not sure we are staying in the area
but want to build something to be able to visit if we want to vacation here. We live in Severna Park Md
and hardly ever get there to visit and have to rent a hotel when we do. Our property requires a 800sqft
minimun and are using the structure as a shed but really a place to stay while we build something larger
if we decide to stay in Md. We are having a hard time finding someone to build something small for we
but are looking into building a pole building structure for they are usually cheaper that a normal contruction.
You might want to check with the Amish in Grantsville for I heard they will help build it for cheap. My
husband has recently taken a timber frame course and stayed in a 14x16 with a loft structure that had
alot of room. It is timber frame but it could be build as a stick built. You could view on grandoakstimberframing.com called Little House In the Woods. There is are wood places in Oakland if you
need the materials for green wood which is cut and ready to go for good prices.
We are going to Grantsville in about two weeks to go and try to find a amish builder to help with the
structure. Hope we can share pixs and ideas and maybe when we build you can come and check it out.
When got some free and cheap wood materials through craigslist to build our cabin. If you need interior
materials cheap such as cabinets, bathroom and wood materials craigslist is the best.
Good luck and hope we can be neighbors,
karen

jstig

Karen,
Its great to meet someone else building so close by.  It sounds like you are further along than I am in investigating whats available for building in Garrett County.  Right now I have relatives visiting from out of town and don't have much online time so I will write more next week.  It sounds like you have alot of knowledge to share.

Thanks,
Jim

Woodswalker

Jim,

I had a small, shed-roof cabin in W Wisconsin for many years when I lived in Mpls.  It was a pole-type structure, sans any floor, that my mother had a couple of local guys put up for only $700 or so in labor costs.  My brother and I added floor joists, insulation, sheathing, and those stick-on foot-square floor coverings.  Later I added a deck and a small wood stove.  It served family and guests well for many years.  A shed roof is real easy to install, and fairly easy to remove snow from.  You just start at the high side and push it all down-hill.  I have found through experience installing roof shingles on several places that a 6/12 slope is about as steep as one should go to safely and easily work on a roof.  Any steeper, and you'll want to use temp 2 x 4 cleats across the slope to keep yourself and materials from heading toward the abyss.

Good luck on the project.  Look forward to pics of progress.

Steve

materialicious

Hi all,

Got some updated photos and floorplans of the Hinkle Farm shack for you:

http://www.materialicio.us/2008/06/13/the-shack-at-hinkle-farm-jeffery-s-broadhurst-2/

Don't forget to peruse the tags on the archives page, such as:

http://www.materialicio.us/tag/cabins/

http://www.materialicio.us/tag/sheds/

http://www.materialicio.us/tag/huts/

http://www.materialicio.us/tag/lofts/

I'm still a long way out from building my own cabin, but when I'm ready, you can bet I'll be camping out here at the forum!  ;)

Enjoy!

John Raabe

The Hinkle Farm shack is very appealing. The simple shape and the open window wall (via a glazed garage door) make for a dramatic openness.

As one of the commenter's mentioned, there will be critters much of the year that will spoil that idyllic picture.

Still, many practical ideas can be gained - The canvas shade and rain screen, and the small side door are two that come to mind.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

jstig

Hi all,
Well, it has been too long since I posted here.  Unfortunately life seems to have the knack for getting in the way of the best intentioned plans  :-\   So now I am planning to start in late August and have a shell up before the winter.  I went to my local Lowes here in Baltimore (actually Columbia) and priced out the 10x14 little house from John's plans (using his shell material list) to get a rough idea for a budget.  I figured it for the gable roof and loft.  It came to around $1100 not including housewrap, siding, roofing shingles, and windows and door.  I didn't price those because I don't have a final plan yet.  I was surprised at the cost of the 4x8 sheets of 3/4 t&g plywood for the subfloor - 23.88 each!  The osb equivalent was 13 something each but from what I read in the forum the plywood is preferred over osb - so I will go with the plywood.  In the material list John lists 5 sheets for the subfloor but I'm not sure how that will work because of the tongue and groove.  If you rip the 5th sheet in half you will be missing the tongue for the final 2x6 piece.  The alternative is a 6th sheet with a lot of plywood wasted.  Maybe I am missing something obvious here  ???   Anyway I am working on a plan and elevations - when I have it done I will post it hopefully soon!!

Jim

Redoverfarm

jstig  I am not sure that it was in the discussion with you or others but may I suggest Advantex 3/4" T&G or Surefloor 3/4" T&G.  The reason is that unless you are able to donate the needed time to completely get the cabin dried in and the weather cooperates in a very short time it is a good investment.  Either of these products will withstand weather for approximately 6-12 months without any noticable problems associated with untreated OSB or Plywood.  I had even left mine over the winter months with snow and rain and it is completely useable still as a subfloor.   

glenn kangiser

Quote from: jstig on July 23, 2008, 06:57:32 PM
Hi all,
Well, it has been too long since I posted here.  Unfortunately life seems to have the knack for getting in the way of the best intentioned plans  :-\   So now I am planning to start in late August and have a shell up before the winter.  I went to my local Lowes here in Baltimore (actually Columbia) and priced out the 10x14 little house from John's plans (using his shell material list) to get a rough idea for a budget.  I figured it for the gable roof and loft.  It came to around $1100 not including housewrap, siding, roofing shingles, and windows and door.  I didn't price those because I don't have a final plan yet.  I was surprised at the cost of the 4x8 sheets of 3/4 t&g plywood for the subfloor - 23.88 each!  The osb equivalent was 13 something each but from what I read in the forum the plywood is preferred over osb - so I will go with the plywood.  In the material list John lists 5 sheets for the subfloor but I'm not sure how that will work because of the tongue and groove.  If you rip the 5th sheet in half you will be missing the tongue for the final 2x6 piece.  The alternative is a 6th sheet with a lot of plywood wasted.  Maybe I am missing something obvious here  ???   Anyway I am working on a plan and elevations - when I have it done I will post it hopefully soon!!

Jim

Just put it on the other side of the full sheets so you use the groove instead.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

jstig

Glen
I thought about your suggestion and came up this layout for the floor panels for my 10x14 cabin:

Will this work?  The joints aren't staggered lengthwise - is this a problem?

Jim

jstig

Red

Thank for your suggestion about using advantex - another member emailed saying the same thing - so I will probably go with advantex.  It seems to be the way to go especially if its left exposed for awhile.
I have been looking at your pictures and really admire your log dogtrot cabin - very ambitious and looking great!

Jim

Redoverfarm

There has been alot of building with the Surefloor around here. It does basickly the same as the Advantex but is alot smoother surface to work on.  Recently had a builder from down south frame up a house and had never heard of it.  Fell in love with the product and is trying to find it down there.  It is about the same price here as the Advantex and does the same thing.

Looks like it will work.  Remember that those T&G products are not exactly 48" .  That is the rough pre-milled.  Once they make the Tounge & Groove it lessens it by 1/2".  So in 2 sheets you loose 1" width I think.

glenn kangiser

I think that is about the best layout you can do without waste.

karnf

Hey jstig,
How's your building going? Are you building by yourself or have you had success in getting a local for help?
We went through Grantsville last week looking for amish builders who could build a pole building (12x20)
and came up empty handed. Spoke to a couple of Amish and Oakland was very far for them to travel. We did fine a contruction company who is big in the town (Stein Construction) but seemed expensive and he had tons of work and didn't even call us back. We even got coming from our property, turned down a wrong road but stop for directions and asked for directions and the guy was a contractor for Sisler Contractors who seemed excited and willing to take on a 12x20 pole building pavillion as we would do the sides ourselves. Well, he didn't return our calls. So we are still at square one. My husband and I are pretty discouraged getting someone to clear a space of trees and getting help with the building. Do you know of anyone in garrett county who could take on this job. We are not looking for a company hearsay just a local guys or guys who could help? We do have 9.24 acres but the building would be right off the road into the property?
Do you have any updated pics on your progress? Pretty discouraged now.
don't have a lot of funds which is why we are trying to do ourselves but need the start work to be done.

soomb

JS-  I am envious.  I used to live in Columbia and cover western MD so I know you are getting the best of both, and all it takes is I-70 and I-68.  You can even stop in Berkeley Springs for a massage and hot spring after the work is done.
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

karnf

Hi jstig,
How is your structure going or are you still planning? We finally found a local small builder who is building
first a 12x20 pavillion pole barn and my husband will finish the rest. Looks like we will do a subfloor no
concrete slab. We were quoted by the builder as $700 which we found expensive. We already got a real
good deal on Avantex for the sides and subfloors, windows, doors so we are set to finish exterior for the
winter. The problem is that the 12x20 structure was compliant with no permit but one of the HOA watchdogs in our community literally called us and accused us of slipping it in without their approval and said we better not sleep in it for it is suppose to be a shed which my husband works with wood and wanted a place he could store his materials when we do build a home. We live hours away and can't afford the storage companies and can't afford to build a home with the economy so bad. Netherless to say he kept saying that our structure will be a  shack and is afraid we won't build a home in the future and will devalue their property. Why can't our society start thinking about building smaller for economic and make less of an impact on earth. My argument is that the big homes look vulgar. Lets not talk about the yearly fee for road maintainence that keeps going up which seems to benefit only the permanent residences. Note: This year we have only been to our property twice this year; just this month. We are very discouraged of the policing of the land that we own and were planning on eventually living in tune with nature but they have taken a lot of that passion now out of us. We even had to have the builder cut the 16' 6x6 post that were installed to 12' for we didn't want to be forced to take it down. Unfortually the structure is almost completed so the builder has to cut the already cemented in the ground timbers (not happy) and we took a loss on the price of the 16's.
Anyway, let me know if you need help building for the builder seems good but we will visit this week to see
the finished product. Wish us luck.The exterior will be board and batton with a green metal roof.
Will send pictures later.
Is there any 12x20 cabins out there built that would utilize the best with the space with a loft?
We will be bringing our tent into the building since we are allowed to camp on our site.
Go firgure!

soomb

When you do go to enjoy your land I would post the "no trespassing" signs Glenn has posted on the site.  I would also "remind" the watchdog that if they come snooping around while your tent is there that they are a trespasser. 

Hope things turn better for you.
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

karnf

jstig

Karen,

Just saw your posts about your cabin.  Sorry to hear about your HOA problems (and your nosy neighbor)  >:(
My lot is not in a development so I dont have to worry about any HOA requirements.  My plans have changed and I will be building in the spring rather than now.  My cabin will be a camping cabin since we are off grid - no power no bathroom no running water.  I hope to eventually come up with solutions for all this but  I  think it is more important to get a shelter built first and then spend some time out there and figure things out. 

I am actuallly quite close to Grantsville so its good to know about the Amish there.  Actually Oakland is not that far from Grantsville either but I guess it is if you dont use cars!   I am about 6 or so miles from Grantsville - hope its not too far for the Amish!!  It would be good to have some help  especially with the roof. 

Hope your construction is going well - I would be interested in seeing it sometime and finding out about the builder.  There is a general store on New Germany Rd  not too far from New Germany State Park and very close to my land.  The owner is George Howe - he is a long time resident of Garrett County and has a wealth of info about local contractors - I will be talking to him too.  You might want to stop in there sometime but be warned - he loves to talk!!  Nice guy though.  He reminds me of Glenn (having read this forum for awhile I feel like I know Glenn - especially enjoyed his fire saga)

Jim

Lorangerlife

Quote from: soomb on October 13, 2008, 10:35:06 AM
When you do go to enjoy your land I would post the "no trespassing" signs Glenn has posted on the site.  I would also "remind" the watchdog that if they come snooping around while your tent is there that they are a trespasser. 

Hope things turn better for you.

Had a couple of those watchdog nosy types along with some random people coming back thinking my property was an offroad park.   I'm in rural zoning which by NH law allows you to be able to fire your weapons.  Long story short I camped out there 2 weekends in a row and every time I saw headlights I unloaded a full clip. 

Before I left I posted the signs shown on this site and haven't seen anyone in months =) 

Good luck with your build I can't wait to follow along!

~A~

Redoverfarm

Quote from: jstig on October 13, 2008, 06:45:59 PM
- I will be talking to him too.  You might want to stop in there sometime but be warned - he loves to talk!!  Nice guy though.  He reminds me of Glenn (having read this forum for awhile I feel like I know Glenn - especially enjoyed his fire saga)

Jim

Not one on the East Coast too. rofl rofl

jstig

Hi Soomb,

Small world.  I have lived in Columbia for 5 years now - before that I lived in Ellicott City - actually Oella right on the Patapsco River.  When did you move from Columbia?

I love Garrett County especially the New Germany area where I own my small piece of paradise.  Its really very easy to get to from Columbia as you say - interstate all the way and very little traffic.  Stopping in Berkeley Springs is definitely an option.  

Jim