8.5 x 12 'Shed' in Ontario

Started by Rover, February 01, 2011, 11:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rover

Hi everyone,
I've been with the forum for a few years and occasionally threw in my 2 cents.  And finally, I thought its about time to start a thread on my project.  I've been working on it since Spring 2008.  Its been slow progress because I'm busy in the city with work, family and friends. 
I kept the structure under 108 sf, because anything larger in Ontario and you need a permit.  The cabin is not complete but here is the one finished face.

I read the thread on posting pics, so hope I've done this right.  I'm post more pics later starting in chronological order.

glenn kangiser

You got it, Rover.  Nice job.  I was not aware there was so much green in the great white north.  :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Rover

Hi Glenn,
here is a more current and very white pic.  :-) I can't believe how such a snow drift formed off a flat roof.  Never happened in previous winters.  I'm glad I witnessed and photographed it it before it fell. 

Rover

Here are pics of the foundation work. 

My oldest son marking the spot.

The footings are nice thick precast pads that temporary construction office trailers sit on.  On an old construction project I was on, the rental company left them behind so I but them to good use.

I put 2" of SM insulation over because I got tired of digging.  2" of that saved 2' of digging.

The rebar was also salvaged from a project.  After the pic, I pushed them deeper into the wet concrete.

Foundation done !

glenn kangiser

Cool .. that was a lot of snow hanging off there.

I am going to do a similar pier footing, but rebar drilled into slate bedrock then a concrete pier for my current underground project.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Barry Broome

I like the exterior boards you used. Where did you get them?
"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

Rover

The wood on that one building face is just 1x6 cedar t&g.  No finish on it yet.

But that deck is made with full 2" thick lumber.  On our last construction site, we needed a loading deck to transfer material from delivery trucks onto the man & material hoist.  Our carpenters only use this 2" thick stuff.  So when we were finished that stage, I salvaged a lot of the wood. 
Once I built the deck at the cabin, I gave it a liberal soaking of Thompsons Water Seal.  I even built the stair treads with it.  I love the scale of 2" thick wood.

Rover

Next stage was the floor.  I made the beams at home where I had a level surface.  I think I used 3 lengths of 2"x10".  I had set threaded rod into the sono tubes and used that to bolt down the beams.
Then 2"x6" pressure treated joists 16" OC.  I know it was high enough above ground but still used pressure treated wood. 
The 3/4" plywood is overdesigned but thought I might park an ATV in there.

That is my brother and father helping.

Rover

The walls are 2"x4" studs, 24" oc.  8' tall.  Sheathing is 3/4".  I went thick because I hope to nail cedar shakes into the wood rather thru the wood.  I can't have the nails penetrating thru into the cabin.

My father loves to be the camp cook.  We are grateful.

My daughter who wakes early (6am) so I'd take her shopping.

alimey

As building land here in the UK is rediculously expensive and difficult to buy I'm hoping to build in France and really find this site inspirational and a credit to those who embark on the projects. Actually I think to a large extent it is a reflection of the well known American spirit of 'can do and will do'. You're very fortunate to have access to such good timber and timber fittings which we tend not to have in Europe. Also your roofs seem lighter than ours which helps as well. Good luck and best wishes from the UK.

Rover

Thanks Alimey from everyone on this side of the pond.  Yes we are blessed.
I've been to thru most of Ireland and London.  I love the stonework you have.  Lasts longer than our wood!  :-)

Rover

I went with a flat roof for 3 reasons.  I built the cabin in a small ravine so it would be out of view and a tall pitched rof would have been seen from the road.  Secondly, it was easy to frame.  Thirdly, for 'cool' looking factor.  Its been designed to hold weight of green roof.

Rover

I kept the window design simple.  Used lexan sheets across the studs.  Made galvaized metal drip flashing.  And made cedar cappings to finish the clean look. I get alot of light into the cabin.

Here is pic of the windows.  Just the same lexan screwed to 2"x2" frame.  I hinged it to open inward so I can install a screen on the outside.  I later installed a proper locking latch.  I also did a proper sloping window sill with Blueskin membrane and a galv metal sill.

duncanshannon

Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

OlJarhead

Cool :)  and I love the 'out of sight out of mind' thinking!  You cannot see our cabin unless you accidentally come across it walking through the woods of down the drive (which is long enough to deter most) or flying over it :D

Rover

One perk of a green roof is that I won't be seen by anyone flying over or by a town official at his desktop computer using Google aerial views.